Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2007
As a stand alone novel, set a 1000 years before 'The Phantom Menace', this story charts the rise of the Sith Lord 'Darth Bane' and how he learns the Dark Side of the Force. He quickly discovers the 'Sith' have lost their way and sets about to put the order back on the true path, which eventually culminates in the rising of Sidious and Vader - 'Two there should be. No more, no less. One to Embody the Power and one to crave the Power' this is Bane's testimony to the 'Sith' order.
This is one of my favourite books in the Star Wars Universe and it is brilliant from begining to end, as it charts the rise of Bane. It reveals a side not usually explored in the Star Wars Universe and I found that I ended up wanting Bane to succeed over the Sith and Jedi. (APOLOGIES) The book leaves scope for more follow ups (one is being released at Christmas time) and the writer's engaging style will mean I will be one of the first to buy the sequels. All in all an excellent book and in some ways it reminded me of Raymond E Feist's 'Magician'.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2016
This is one of the best Star Wars novels - mixing elements of the fictional universe created by George Lucas with an original plot, set during the distant past, and involving a new and highly fascinating character. This book introduces Darth Bane - who, although protagonist, is actually the villain of the story. "Path of Destruction" is the first volume in a three-part series of novels about the life of this incredibly powerful Dark Lord of the Sith, written by Drew Karpyshyn. Given the quality of the storytelling, alongside the expert handling of the Star Wars mythos, I fully recommend all three novels.

This initial instalment in the trilogy takes place just over 1,000 years before the events of 'A New Hope'. The galaxy is divided and at war - with the Sith Order amassing its armies against the Jedi and the Republic they defend. On a remote mining world, a strong and muscular worker named Dessel - who, unbeknownst to others, is strong with the Force - must flee, as he becomes a wanted man. He enlists into the ranks of the Sith army - and quickly distinguishes himself as a warrior. It's then that the Sith realise the true potential within Dessel - and so they decide to teach him the ancient ways of their Order, and he is renamed Darth Bane.

Bane quickly excels - but feels that his teachers lack the knowledge and powers to adequately instruct him in the ways of the Force. So he embarks upon a journey of discovery, seeking the ancient and long-forgotten wisdom of the early Sith. Eventually he finds the Temple of the Ancients, and Bane discovers Darth Revan's holocron. Using this knowledge, Bane crafts the Rule of Two - that the Sith ought to comprise of no more than a master and an apprentice ... all others are superfluous. And so he decides to destroy the other Sith - using a mythical weapon known as the thought bomb. The story culminates on a world in the midst of a battle between the Sith and Jedi - and it's there that Bane proves his mastery ...

If you're a Star Wars fan, I cannot recommend this novel too highly. It's action-packed, fast paced, with an interesting story and a great main character. I especially enjoyed discovering events and worlds set so long before the films. More than anything, this book is a lot of fun.
on 17 July 2007
This is without a doubt the greatest book that i have ever read. Not being a big star wars myself i never would have believed that i would ever say that. However, the entire story is so gripping that even after the first page i was hooked and i couldn't put the book down until i had finished it. The dark side of the force is a powerful thing but i also felt that the book had a funny inclin to it and i just had to laugh at some of the things that the characters said. all in all though i would recommend this book to anyone regardless of whether they like star wars or not.
on 26 August 2014
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction is a book that predates Star Wars Episode I by a thousand years. In the times of the Old Republic the Jedi fought the Sith almost to extinction. But in the shadows the Sith lived on...

Des is a miner on Apatros whose vigorous work and appalling living conditions lead him to despise the Republic. A clash with soldiers of the Republic makes him a wanted man. He must decide to leave Apatros to join the massive Sith army. It soon becomes clear that Des is destined for great things. His ability to foresee the actions of opponents makes him formidable in combat, and his connection with the Force continues to develop.

The struggles and challenges Des had to face made Path of Destruction an unpredictable, surprising, and rewarding read. Many times throughout it wasn’t clear if Des would overcome his challenges, and if he didn’t I was invigorated by his stout determination and stubborn motivation. The road to survival is indeed a twisted one, as was shown. The way it was written was truly exceptional and fulfilling, so congratulations to the author and editors.
on 21 August 2007
this so far has to my favorite star wars book, great story and also fans of the KOTOR will be pleased to read a few familiar names, I received this book as a birthday present and first thought "its set 1020 years before ANH, it cant be that good" how wrong i was to underestimate the dark side lol

So in short the sith have lost there way and only Bane discovers the true ideals of the sith, griping story i couldent put it down and read throu it in record time.

If like me you are a star wars fan and a fan of the dark side BUY IT!!!!
or if u are a lil too much of a dark side fan steal it lol
on 16 December 2006
This is the kind of Star Wars book I've always had trouble with in the past, the 'stand alone' novel. Frankly, after the initial Thrawn Trilogy, some extremely dubious stand alone novels were published and drove me away from the franchise (I'm sorry I never bought into the Hutt's potential rein of terror with a reconstructed Death Star laser, or Luke's seemingly endless run of bad relationships with force users when the Mara relationship was obvious right from Heir to the Empire blah blah.) I only returned for New Jedi Order and since then for Legacy of the Force. Amazon recommendations kept on throwing this book up at me and I kept ignoring and rejecting it... it is, after all, a stand alone novel.

And it's GOOD.

This is the work of a writer who's clearly existed in the world he's writing about for some time (being I believe one of the designers of the Knights of the Old Republic games) and he's come up with a well told, cohesive story with a solid plot line that really takes us through why the Sith become what they are by the time of the Prequel films. The development of the lead character is believable and well handled. That he isn't invulnerable from the start and does fail (unlike certain characters in the films) in what he sets out to do, before coming back all the stronger, gives him depth and motivation. Nor are any of the characters (who are all essentially villains) cliched and 'bad' for the sake of it.

I read this novel in one afternoon (I'm a fast reader) and if I had any criticisms of it then those would be first that the circumstances Bane starts his life are something sci-fi readers have seen several times before (the STEN series comes to mind for the background, but even that took the concept from elsewhere) but at least it's new to Star Wars. My other criticism is that the ending is slightly less satisfying than the quality of the rest of the novel suggests it should be. On the other hand the author is dealing with a fixed ending - he has to leave the Sith Order as it will be in Episode 1 and therefore he doesn't have the freedom to do more than close Bane's story. Small niggles in an excellent Star Wars story, even if it doesn't involve any characters we've seen before.
on 8 March 2013
Karpyshyn's first novel in the Darth Bane trilogy tells the story of Des, a force sensitive miner. His years of living in harsh conditions and being brought up in a hostile environment have shaped Des into an extremely powerful individual, and this novel tells the story of his escape from a life of servitude and his new life with the Sith.

Drew Karpyshyn delivers a brilliant story with excellently delivered characters, setting and atmosphere. As the longest novel in the trilogy, you can expect 'Path of Destruction' to familiarise you quite well with the character of Darth Bane. You'll come to grips with Bane's ideology, philosophies and belief system - and most importantly his uniqueness and individualism.

Bane is one of the more interesting Sith, and you'll learn why if you read this brilliant novel!
on 23 December 2015
First in a great trilogy.

I've read around these books, some post Episode IV, some before. These are set a thousand years or more before.

The stories of the Sith are far more entertaining than the narrow minded, dogmatic descriptions of the Jedi and their merry jaunts.

If you don't like the Bane trilogy, it's unlikely you'd like any of the others in the SW universe. This is essential SW reading.
on 21 August 2013
After the disappointment from reading Red Harvest this star wars novel has got my old republic love back on track.

Path of Destruction tells the story of Darth Bane's rise from miner to Sith Lord and the birth of the well known rule of two in the sith.

I would highly recommend for any Old Republic fans
on 19 August 2008
Before I begin, as a back-note I've played star wars role-playing games on the pc previous to reading this book and gained quite a bit of knowledge on the star wars universe from other places too.

I first spotted this book while looking for something to read when I was previously going on holiday.
The moment I picked it up I was reading it, and this was before I'd even bought it. To say the least I was getting hints from the shop staff to either buy it or put it back, lol.

I completed it 2 days later with extreme annoyance that I couldn't go and get the English written sequel in turkey lol. An then once I got back home I found out it hadn't even been released yet.

The book is filled with strategic well placed character advancements and plot twists, that are thouroughly entrancing to read. As a warning, don't read if you've got to be somewhere on the same day.

As I mentioned earlier I played read a few books and played a few games with a hell of a lot of back story and general star wars info in them, so I know alot about star wars, if your a star wars afficionado and need to find something else to fuel your collection or just looking for a good read, then I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

I hope you have as much fun reading and rereading this book as I did!