4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant novel
This book has the same humour and 'grit' typical of all Gemmell novels.
It continues from Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow. Although the main characters in this book feature only briefly in the first novel, it does have many of the same characters such as Helikaon, Andromache and Oddyeus. The main characters in this book are Banokles and Kalliades.

This book,...
Published on 28 Oct 2006 by Sam's reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by S. Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant novel, 28 Oct 2006
This book has the same humour and 'grit' typical of all Gemmell novels.

This book, which is sadly Gemmells last, is in my opinion not one of Gemmells very best but is never the less a gripping read.
I have read 22 of Gemmells 30 novels and not one has been a 'bad' book. Some i'll admit are better than others, but it is an amazing feat to write such a wealth of novels, and at the such high standard. He was very ill when he was writing it, so its amazing that he managed to write it at all.
David Gemmell wrote many gripping novels and was undoubtedly the best in his field. His books had humour, great characters, and that made him the best known heroic fantasy author.
I'm sure his novels will be read by future generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 2 Mar 2008
As I first began reading this book I wasn't all that sure about it, the narrative style seemed a little too ambitious and as it followed many different characters in the third person, and it became a little confusing at some points.

I carried on and gradually it really hooked me. The presentation of the characters is immense, for instance the fight between Hektor and Achilles is described with such emotion and awe you'd think that David Gemmell had actually been there.

Every character seems like a real person, and the tragedy and heartbreak that occurs so frequently throughout the novel is truly touching. In the latter chapters of the novel, when war has broken out, the battles and the slaughter that takes place is utterly epic. I was also amazed how many of the more separate stories came together to a magnificent climax at the end. Unbelievable.

A definite must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars A definate middle book, 21 Oct 2006
I agree with those who expressed sorrow on hearing that David Gemmell had passed away, and like many others I am an avid reader of all his books, but this a review so. The first book was a fast paced book that seemed to rush up to the start of war (in a good way), this one begins three years later with the war started and the two sides trying to out manover each other, and take as much of the Great Green as possible. This is a well written book and I have to admit I love some of the characters Kallides and Banokles especially, and these two are often the main characters in this one as well as the last. The main problem though is it is a middle book and feels like one, slow in places as it builds up to the last book (I hope david's wife is going to finish it a fitting tribute). A few parts feel rushed, but all in all it keeps you hooked and continues the story well, although i admit to finding it difficult to feel anything for Achillies, Hektor or the rest as we already know what is going to happen in the end, but it is fun reading a fantasy author's idea of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gemmell RIP, 14 Aug 2006
I was deeply saddened to read about the death of David Gemmell on Orbit's publishing web page. He has been a superb writer of epic fantasy and I loved his Lord of the silver bow book. I will be devastated to hear that he was unable to complete this trilogy before his untimely death. I send my sincerest condolences to his family and friends and speaking as one of his many fans he will be greatly missed. Thank you David for all your wonderful stories you will not be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping and enjoyable, 31 July 2009
Steve Manders (UK) - See all my reviews
Having read many other of David Gemmells novels, I thought I knew what to expect - and I was wrong. No magic demons - just a damned good rewriting of Virgil's Aenead - with obvious changes to make it an enjoyable read. Lots of sub-plots, good character identification.
My Latin 'o' level in 1970 was focussed around the story of Aeneas, so it was a great pleasure to renew acquaintance with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shield Of Thunder, 25 April 2007
Mr. JJ Huntley "Joe" (London) - See all my reviews
When I first bought the book I was a bit dubious in reading such a large novel, however I thought this book was fantastic. The storyline is not exhaustative (like other books of a similar depth)and Gemmell does really well in transporting the reader into the time the book is set. His descriptive narrative of battle scenes and his ability to portray the feelings and actions of all the characters ensured I emphasised greatly with the characters emotions. His characters Banokles and Kalliades are fantastic, their mixture of jovial bluntness and childish wims had me laughing out load.

I am not normally a book lover but have nothing but positive comments to make. I didnt want to put the book down have already bought the first book in the Triology and cant wait for the final one to come out. Would highly recommed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody Did it Better, 16 Sep 2006
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I can only echo the sentiments of other reviewers and send my sincere condolences to the family and friends of David Gemmell. He was without doubt the best writer of fantasy on the planet and will be sadly missed by all his fans and book readers throughout the world. His writing style seemed effortless. Fluid and fluent I would describe it. His books never had a `lull' in them. The reader was drawn effortlessly along and before you knew it you had come to the sad part, the end of the book. To think that there will be no more David Gemmell books after this one is a sobering thought. R.I.P.

The book itself is secondary to the sad loss of David, but readers deserve some insight into it, though I am sure it will be bought by all of David's fans. It would be easy for me to say that it is the best book he has ever written, but that would short change many of the other wonderful books that David conjured up in that fertile mind.

This novel is a follow up to Lord of the Silver Bow and is set at a time when the war of Troy is looming and all of the Kings are congregating each with their own plans for conquest. Shield of Thunder returns the reader back to the time of Ancient Greece, an age of warriors and heroes, a time of myths and legends. Into this age come three travellers, Piria, a runaway priestess, Kalliades, a great warrior with a powerful sword and Banokles who will make his own legends in the times ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gemmell R.I.P, 15 Sep 2006
A. Instone (Bedford,UK.) - See all my reviews
I was stunned and saddened to hear the news that David Gemmell had passed away. I was always struck by the strength of loyalty and friendship in his acknowledgements to his family and friends. These qualities amidst the fantasy and daring were the bedrock of his books. The novels and the words reflected the man and although the literary world is the sadder for his passing, our thoughts rest with his family who have lost a loyal and talented friend and husband and father.

5.0 out of 5 stars sadly missed, 20 Sep 2006
A. Ravel (Ireland) - See all my reviews
It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that i write this. The death of David Gemmell so suddenly has touched me greatly.......i started reading his books 16 yrs ago whilst a student in London.....having moved away from home for the first time and his works help me through those lonely times away from my family. Since then i have been an avid reader of his books and have always looked forward to every new release..........often checking online for release dates and any small pieces of info on his next story...........owning all his books it has stuck me tonight that never again will i type his name into amazons search engine looking and hoping for his new books (although i hope his wife will continue the story telling when she feels ready and able and concludes the TROY trilogy). David i met you several times at book signings and was always impressed by your patience and perseverence in putting up with annoying and pestering readers asking multiple questions about your books old and new.

I will miss your words and stories more than you may ever have known. You touch so many readers hearts and minds and i hope younger readers will stumble onto your great books and continue reading your works many many years into the future.

Rest In Peace and my condolences to your family.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 2 Oct 2006
S. Murphy (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
Sadly David Gemmell's last book before his death is somewhat of a disappointment. Lacking the fast pace of Lord of the Silver Bow it is still a good read but rather predictable. Characters and story line offer nothing new and plot development is very formulaic. Having said that Gemmell was justifiably viewed by many as the greatest fantasy author for a generation. Even at his lowest ebb his work is far above the dross that comprises most of the genre. So buy the book but don't have too high expectations.

Shield of Thunder (Troy Trilogy)
Shield of Thunder (Troy Trilogy) by David Gemmell (Hardcover - 27 Mar 2007)
Used & New from: 1.39