Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 January 2006
Having read Black Hawk Down and developing an interest in what really happened in Somalia , I, like a lot of others, had forgotten the battle. My memories as I am sure a lot of peoples were that of the mauled bodies being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu.
Reading this book was like being part of the firefight. The tremendous courage that these men showed and the amazing comraderie among the rangers to ensure each others safety.
The part of this book that stands out in my mind is the chapter written my Tim Wilkinson, where he writes candidly and openly about why they , rangers, delta and 160th Soar were in Somalia, not for the humanitarian effort that the UN and the 10th Mountain were doing but they were there to take out the threat to Peace and regeneration of Somalia, Aidid and his SNA command-and control infrastruture.
To the non military person this book is an eye opener into the training that these remarkable men do. This is an exceptional book and to read it is to gain an insight into what really happened on October 3rd 1993 by the eyewittnesses that faught there.
I wish there were more books written about the conflict of Somalia but this is a great start.
A very well written book
on 14 January 2015
If you find yourself shouting 'we have a blackhawk down, we have a blackhawk down!' After watching the film you will love this book. It is interesting to see the simikarities between what actually happened and the film.
watch the film, read the book, wear the t shirt!
on 19 May 2015
Very well writen book and a easy read as well. It is good to hear first hand accounts by the men who served I would definatly recomend this book