Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 3 August 2006
On first reading I thought this rated 4 stars, but I'm now wondering if I should award more since it has turned out to be one of the handful of books that I've actually returned to to read again.

This is a light, enjoyable read. The leads are the familiar 'headstrong virgin' and 'reformed rake', but there are enough twists to keep the plotline interesting and their story engaging. The heroine is easy to sympathise with, particularly her dilemma of whether to confess her secret to the man she loves, and while the hero is almost perpetually aroused (nothing wrong with that *wink*), he is determined to do the right thing ~ initially by saving her from becoming a social outcast.

As the other reviewer hints, some of the peripheral characters did feel a little as though they were being set up for future storylines, and the last section of the book does feel a bit like a page-filling exercise - but, once this is accepted, that section is itself a good enough read for it not to be a major minus point.

Overall, a good read that falls slightly short of being a great one.
on 26 February 2006
This is the first Jillian Hunter I have read. The characters were all well rounded and it sounds like there will be plenty of other interesting stories coming from the Boscastle clan of rakes and rogues.
The book itself was amusing and had me laughing out loud from the start. The only negative is that the author seemed to lose momentum two thirds of the way through. Once Grayson uncovered Jane’s deception and they both admitted they loved each other there was really no reason why they couldn't live happily ever after. Grayson's revenge on Jane for deceiving him seemed very forced and quite out of character, especially considering he claimed to love her and want to marry her. It did however allow the reader to get to know Chloe ahead of the next book.
on 28 July 2011
This is the first book in the Boscastle series and also the first book I've read by this author.

Lady Jane Welsham has been stood up at the altar by her fiance, Nigel, chosen for her by her family. She keeps a brave face for the guests, and doesn't lash out or cry, knowing deep down she is glad of it. When the cousin of the fiance, Grayson Boscastle, a blonde haired rake witnesses his cousin's absence, he is annoyed. He now wants to change his ways, so deciding to take a stand, goes to Jane and offers his support. He says he will find his errant cousin and drag him back, or failing that, will aid her being reaccepted again into society. Jane doesn't want his help, for she knows exactly where Nigel is and why he's not there. What she doesn't count on is falling in love for the rogue, and hates the fact she's lying to him. Against Grayson's better judgment, he also loves her, but finds out Jane's treachery and is hurt. He then sets out his revenge, making her his mistress, even though he wants to marry her. Jane then discovers why Grayson's now treating her like a mistress and not someone he loves, and the two of them come to an understanding. Jane wants to be courted before agreeing to become his wife. Grayson says he's never courted anyone and doesn't see why he should start now, knowing Jane already loves him.

Overall, the book is very good. It was almost a 5, as I read it in one day. But a couple of things niggled me after.

SPOILERS

Jane asks is Grayson's ever had his heart broken and he says once, but it is never mentioned again and this surprised me, as I was waiting for some sort of confession from him. Why we never learn more, I don't know.

His relationship with his past mistresses. Mrs Parks is mentioned, and at the beginning, it looks like he fathered her two children. It's mentioned again towards the end, as he says he will do something for them. Yet, we learn in the book that he's never made it possible to have children with previous mistresses, only with Jane, which threw me off a little. But then we hear of Mrs Parker. Is Mrs Parker also Mrs Parks? This got a bit confusing.

4/5
on 10 February 2011
This is the first one I have read of Jillian Hunter's books and it was quite entertaining.

Jane gets jilted at the altar on her wedding day which draws the attention of Grayson who is the head of the Boscastle family and he believes it is duty to repair her reputation and make sure she is desirable to the gentlemen of the ton. But Jane is hiding a secret!

Very entertaining reading about Grayson trying to find out who Jane really is as she has plenty of sides to her and while he escorts out and about he finds himself drawn to her and slowly a love grows between them. But when he founds out her secret he decides to teach her a lesson and then it gets more complicated when Jane finds out he knows and decides to teach him a lesson so very amusing events happen between the pair both fighting for the upper hand.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 29 July 2012
This is the first, and most probably last book I will ever read by Jillian Hunter. I found the story slow and rather boring most of the time, and am quite surprised I managed to finish it.

The main characters annoyed me, there was too much game playing and I like my books with some intrigue to the story. The only characters I had anytime for were Heath and Chloe, the hero Grayson's younger brother and sister, who apparently have stories of their own, but I doubt I could ever bring myself to read them.

Overall, a very disappointing so-called Historical Romance. Certainly not a keeper!
on 30 November 2013
Enjoyed this book but nothing new really and rather predictable. Still, that said, easy reading and amusing in parts. A light undemanding read and I probably would read another in this series before I pass judgement properly.
on 31 October 2014