5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense Thriller With a Twist:

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to go to sleep without the kiss
Published on 5 July 2005 by boogiebaby5

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense Thriller With a Twist:, 1 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Kiss Me While I Sleep (Mass Market Paperback)
When this book first came out, the Avian Flu was not "big news" as it is today, but this book actually utilized a possible outbreak in the hands of terrorist groups as a central theme. I thought the premise was intriguing, as well as the emotional trauma that motivated the main character / heroine. The romantic relationship does not accelerate until the second half of the book, but the twist at the end definitely surprised me. I would have liked to see more of the couple's relationship issues. Ms. Howard is excellent in writing emotional drama and steamy scenes, but the suspense/terrorist plot took center stage here. Still a great read if you want something different besides serial killers or political intrigue. This story combined a developing romance with a too-realistic Health threat, that is even more relevant today.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to go to sleep without the kiss, 5 July 2005
I have every book that this author has written, from her start with silouette, to her current books now. Usually a LH book will keep me glued to it, this one see above title. Yawn, I found that I really didn't care about the main characters at all. The format of revenge killings is an old one and it would have to be an exceptional author to give it an interesting twist. Like an organisation such as the CIA would allow one of their operatives such leeway, I doubt it. Lucas irritated me, he got sidetracked by Lily, she fell into bed with him too quickly and hardly knew anything about him. Puleeze, highly trained operative my foot. She was way too easy for him to fool and then there was Lily's emotional state, any sane person would have stayed away from this woman, she come across as whiny, needy and very clingy, ( exit most men left) I love this author but this is the second book she has dissapointed me with, to the point of the last two books that I bought, I sold on very quickly. This is the type of work by an author, who in my opinion, knew that whatever she put out there will sell with loyal fans. It felt that she had dashed it off and she herself didn't much care about the story or its characters. Let's hope her next book is better than this one was.

5.0 out of 5 stars kiss me while sleep, 15 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This is Linda Howard at her very best.Lily is on a very fragile edge and has carried out an unofficial assassination. The CIA send in one of their own to bring her in or down. Lucas is so sexy and fun that Lily starts to let down her guard and lets him in to her heart. Lucas starts to care for Lily and realises she will never forgive him If he betrays her. They both have to carry forward the unofficial assignment and as it all comes together Linda Howard makes your heart drop when you realise what Lucas does. I couldn't put it down and as I got closer to the end I really feared for Lily. Read it, It's a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars KISS ME WHILE I SLEEP - A REVIEW, 15 Dec. 2004
Ap Nj Dorrall "nicky0512" (plymouth,devon) - See all my reviews
"kiss me while i sleep", is the latest novel by Linda Howard & although i really love this women's work usually, this just isn't her finest. It has one big flaw & that is the central charactor " Lily".
Lily mansfield is a hired assassin, she works as a contract agent for the CIA, her targets are the powerful and corrupt, those who can't be touched by the law.
But after i8 years of service Lily is no longer the hard and pragmatic assassin she was. she has distanced herself from her family, she has no love life and her only friends and their daughter have been murdered. Lily wants vengeance for her own reasons,this hit has not been sanctioned and the CIA are worried Lily has lost it!.
a CIA agent himself, Lucas Swain recognises the signs of trauma in the line of fire. his orders are to either bring Lily in or bring her down. Yet he too is drawn into the game with Lily, dancing on a tightrope as he tries to avoid a major international incident while still battling a tenacious foe who is dogging their every step.
While this is a very good book, well put together with a good storyline - Lily is just all wrong.
OK, she's a good charactor in that she is strong and capable and could probably beat the best at her game, the author made her too reliant on Lucas, without asking the right questions about him.
Firstly, Lucas just happens to be in the right place at the right time to save her ass! & she doesn't really try to find out who he is.
Secondly, he knows too much about weapons,covert operations & he knows too many shady people - again she doesn't really find out how and why.
Thirdly,she doesn't know how to stake out any where without being caught - so she's only a hitman!, but surely she knows how to blend in !!.
And Finally, she relies too much on Lucas, she's too trusting and inevitably this proves to be her down fall.
This seems like a lot of complaints about this book, but if you look past these, then this book is really quite good. there was a decent amount of tension, the romance was good and there was a nice blend of charactors who all worked well.
All-in-all, this was an enjoyable thriller to read, but i have read better from this author, still i would recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay, 20 Feb. 2006
K. Ross "kliross" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I liked Lucas Swain's character, for me, he was the only good thing about this book.

I didn't like Lily Mansfield, she left me cold and I really could not bring myself to care what had happened to her. She was an assasian for goodness sake, what did see expect?

If this is the first book you are buying of Linda Howard's you might be better starting with Mackenzie's Mountain or if you want something longer, more in depth, as Mackenzie's Mountain is a silhouette book, then try Shades of Twilight/Son in the Morning (best value book)

Sorry my review does not really tell you the story, just if I enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but not her best book, 27 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
After the excellent, tear jerking Cry No More, I was a bit disappointed in this book. Part of me could not accept a female lead who was an assassin. The plot was adequate but where the book failed was in not igniting any chemistry between the 2 leads. The 'hero' was too bland for my taste. I find Linda Howards book veer from the excellent (Kill and Tell, Son of the Morning) to the adequate but no more category (Dying to Please). If you like her books, try Suzanne Brockman, Sandra Brown and Karen Robards.

3.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't finish it.., 13 Nov. 2009
Ms. Laura -. S. Dawkins (United kingdom.) - See all my reviews
I started this book purely because I love Linda Howard and adore romance novels. If you're after pure romance don't buy it as I would place it in the 'suspence' genre.
Although it was written well it simply wasn't what I was after or what I expected from Howard, which is why it was such a disapointment to me. I couldn't even finish it as it seemed to drag out. Flicking ahead - something i never do - I saw that the interaction between the characters was lacking the depth I expect fron Howard and the story was focused mainly on the action of the novel. In summary, for me it was not her best work but if you enjoy a good suspence tale, go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best!, 14 Dec. 2012
My Spence (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I'm surprised by some reviewers who don't like this book. One mentions that a heroine should be nice, and an assassin can't be put into this category. My feeling is that a heroine doesn't have to be "nice", they have to be interesting and have some points with which you can empathize. Lily is a heroine in a very different mold from your average one, and this makes the book compelling rather than unpleasant. The moral and ethical conflicts are not avoided but woven into the story again and again. Lucas Swain is a great hero, too, and full of life, mischief and nerves of steel, but again not without moral and ethical dilemmas of his own. I really like this book, and I have the book, the Kindle version and the Audible version :) I recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Heroine's should be nice, shouldn't they?, 9 Nov. 2006
I normally enjoy Linda Howard's writing, especially the heroines. The 'heroine' in this book though... she KILLS people, and that's not nice. Heroine's should be nice.

Also, I felt like I was re-reading the same information over and over and over again - the author obviously super-keen that we don't forget 'why' she killed people. Normally in LH's books we love the heroine through what they do and don't have to have things explained to us to excuse their behaviour.

It was ok. I did actually finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiss me while I sleep, 27 May 2009
Sylvino (Blackburn, England) - See all my reviews
Any book by Linda Howard is in my opinion well worth reading, she never disappoints. This book, Kiss me while I sleep is very good and well worth reading.

Kiss Me While I Sleep
Kiss Me While I Sleep by Linda Howard (Mass Market Paperback - 26 April 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01