5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, intense and thoroughly enjoyable
I bought this book before playing Halo, simply because the excerpt on the Halo website was so interesting. I was expecting a sci-fi romp with lots of action and not much else.
Published on 24 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Halo: Fall of Reach
A fantastically written book about the halo universe and interactions between ship to ship engagements. I enjoyed reading it and made me understand more about the master chief and the spartans in general.
Though unfortunately there are some glaring errors to those who have played the game, and read the game manual. Apart from them otherwise the book is good, but...
Published on 12 Feb 2004 by M. Roland Ayliffe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, intense and thoroughly enjoyable, 24 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Halo: The Fall of Reach (Halo (del Ray Paperback)) (Mass Market Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this the first time. It's not only action packed, it's full of colourful characters, interesting twists and turns and it does an amazing job if filling in the details you don't usually get from a game.
I couldn't put this book down. I just had to read more, and more and then even more. I finished the book in 8 hours straight, and I've e-read it several times since. It's still great.
Fans of Halo: Combat Evolved will love this book as it takes you through the beginnings of the Spartans and the war with the Convenant.
But others will like this book too. If you want a good sci-fi novel that's hard to put down then get this book. The story is interesting and pulls you into it, the world in which it's set is lively and full of colour, and the characters are definately not 2-dimensional.
Five stars just isn't enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enormous universe unfolds, 19 Jan 2003
Being a huge fan of Halo before reading the Fall of Reach, I had huge expectations. The story in Halo: Combat Evolved was very well written with many mysteries and links. I knew about some of Bungie's (the developers of Halo) tricks with their fans, f.ex. back in 1999, when they wrote somthing called the Cortana letters. It was letters linked to the story of Halo, but they were sent BEFORE Halo was revealed. This meant that Bungie knew their story very well. And this continues in The Fall of Reach
The book can both be read by someone who hasn't heard of Halo before and those who are hardcore fans of the game - and the book won't let any of those down. It's an exciting and compelling adventure, where we meet characters you will truly bond with before the end. The book contains lots of good action and will keep you glued to it for all the 340 pages. I think I read it faster than any other book - ever!
For the Halo fans, there's enough link and theories to be found in this book. You will gain knowledge, find answers and wonder - but after the book is done, you'll be more confused than ever... in a good way. The book ends where Halo: Combat Evolved starts and that will certainly make you play through the game again. And when Halo's done... you still want more (luckily both a sequel to Halo the game - Halo 2 - and another book - Halo: The Flood - is on their way).
Halo: The Fall of Reach is one of the best written books to any movie or game. Eric Nylund has worked very well with Bungie to ensure the readers a compelling and exciting backstory to one of the best games ever. After you've read this book, a new and enourmous universe will unfold before your eyes...

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the game itself, 9 April 2002
C. Brown (Brizol) - See all my reviews
Having played the game on the Xbox to the end, I was looking forward to finding out how the Pillar of Autumn turned up at Halo, where the Covenant came from and who Master Chief was. Suffice to say I wasn't let down.
The book charts the extraordinary story of humanities battle against an alien force known as the Covenant, and the development of a man called John. If you haven't played the game you will having read this, and vice versa; if you haven't read the book you really must find out how this fantastic story started.
One of the best pieces of SF I have read for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, especially if youre going to buy Halo..., 8 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I've just finished this book and i think it was great. I've been following Halo's development and know some of the story and equipment from the game, and its really fun to read about how it all started. It has a pretty straight forward story-line with the normal twist and turns but is well written, and you can easily read that the writer have good knowledge about the game. I reccomend this book to evreyone who likes a sci-fi book, and especially if youre into Halo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2002
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
What more can i say.... this is an excellent novel, and certain the best movie / computer game tie in I have ever read, rather than try and hash out the game like Fiest did with his abysmal Krondor books or even worse the Balders Gate novels. Eric has taken a long look at the game and written a covincing and realistic history for it.
As a novel the characters aren't the best written or visualised but they are convincingly potrayed and given space and time to grow into people that you care about. The plot is excellently handled letting us watch as the tale unfolds showing us how the humans struggle to fight back against a seemingly unstopable alien force. Whilst the Spartans are the best we can offer and they are good they don't come across as godlike killing machines. The same applies to the rest of the characters.
The best thing about this book is the way that it slips past in a blur of page turning, there is no struggle to understand whats going on, its like slipping into your favourite pair of trainers... just comfortable. Having read all of Erics other novels this is as good as Game of Universe and Pawns Dream, if you enjoyed this book I would highly recomend getting hold of either or both of those titles.
As for the game of Halo, I am now intrested in aquiring a Xbox and a copy of the game just to play it.... I also hope that Eric is contracted to write more novels in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic prequel tie-in novel, 13 Nov 2004
Now, I'm not much of a book reader, in fact I've never read a novel because I wanted to. However I love gaming and especially Halo. I was offered this book as a free gift so I thought why not? It is a great book and I doubt I would have thought so if it wasn't about something I already know about, because I don't read much. The book tells the story of the SPARTAN-II project, from how Master Chief (real name John) was kidnapped at 6 and trained with 74 other kidnappees, being specially augmented to become stronger, faster etc., though all his missions to the moment Reach was destroyed and he becomes the lone survivor after the battle escaping with Captain Keyes with Cortana on the Pillar of Autumn, this happens just before the game starts. So if you like Halo and want to now the history get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book for all halo fans, 20 Sep 2003
Simon Hornett (Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
this book is amazing, any halo fan like me NEEDS to read this book, it puts the meat on the bones and really explains a lot about halo and how the masterchief came to be. i really do advise to any fan read this book it really is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Halo Fans, 13 May 2003
I hadnt read a book for years, bought this and read it in three days, if you love Halo (like most of us do) then u really need to own this. It totally covers all details and events leading up to your role in the game. I do recommend though, that you've played the game through, as the characters and vehicles dont get the best of descriptions so you really need to know what they look like. Apart from that i defy anyone to read this book and not want to play through the game again, at least once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, a must buy for all Halo fans!!!, 4 July 2002
I bought this book expecting it to be a cheap rip-off of the Halo series, I couldn't have been more wrong.
Halo:The Fall of Reach is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. The storyline is deep, the characters are detailed and the backgrounds are made visual by Eric Nylund's use of detailed language and metaphors.
Nylund has not missed any of the great features in the computer game. Warthog's are driven, Master Chief's history and background are explained and it explains why and how they are on the planet Halo.
This is a must for people who aren't even fans of computer games as it is a very deep and compelling book.
Highly rated!

4.0 out of 5 stars All That Could Have Been, 2 Oct 2010
I'll be honest: I've never quite understood the love some people have for the Halo universe. I've played all of the games, from the original, Combat Evolved, through to Bungie's swansong, last week's Reach. Hell, I was one of the very few to follow the SPARTANs into the Real-Time Strategy-space in the insipid Halo Wars, thinking that the experience of the broader mythos, away from Master Chief's isolationist laser focus, might inspire some affection in me. It didn't.

From afar, I've admired the spectacles of the Halo games... the breathtaking set-pieces, the invention of the worldbuilding, in particular the complex interplay between the stock space marines - the UNSC - and the Covenant, a ruthless race of sleek alien invaders, one of whom Master Chief had to team up with a few games ago. But I've always felt Bungie got rather more credit than they were due. In terms of storytelling, the franchise has been all over the place in its myriad iterations; never once the equal of the ideas you can see straining to punch through the thick titanium armour of the awkward exposition Halo games have made their proverbial bread and butter. I've found them fundamentally sound, with bulletproof, if idiosyncratic gameplay and a rich enough backdrop to make further encounters worth the price of entry, but artistically, not a little crass.

Halo: The Fall of Reach hasn't changed my perspective on that one iota. What it's done, this updated edition of a decade-old book composed in a scant seven weeks with little to no input from the creative team behind the property in the first place (and breathe), is clued me in on all that the Halo games could have been. Eric Nylund's novel gives us a landscape as ubiquitous to this generation as the snowy kingdom behind a certain wardrobe door was to another, and yet for the first time, we have a vantage point from which to admire it. Moreover, he proffers up a context for the characters and crises of the games proper, enriching them immeasurably in so doing. High praise, this, all things considered: The Fall of Reach makes me want to play through the whole Halo saga again, with the depth so lacking in each of the games - in terms of storytelling, you understand; Bungie have the gameplay equation down to a T - now present and correct. And all because I've read a tie-in novel. Who'd have thunk it?

If this was proscribed reading for an understanding of the Halo games when it first came out, ten years ago, I wish someone had thought to tell me. Thankfully, I managed to get Eric Nylund's novel under my belt before Reach itself arrived, and as I suspected - though it may be particularly the case given that the game and the book in question are both precursors to Combat Evolved, chronicles of pivotal events occurring in concert - I enjoyed the fiction of Reach a great deal more than I have any of Bungie's other efforts. Equally, the fiction of The Fall of Reach surprised me: there's plenty of Starship Troopers-style SPARTAN on grunt action, sure, and it's narrated with an immediacy bordering on voyeurism, but the larger part of Nylund's tie-in is about the small potatoes. We begin and end on Planet Reach; between times, however, this is not a story of explosive intergalactic battles (of which there are nevertheless enough to satisfy that end of the market) so much as it is an unexpectedly personal account of the kids co-opted into Dr. Halsey's experimental program. Among them, John, candidate number 117 - you might have heard of him - who we watch evolve from a six year-old bully to a soldier, then a leader, and at last, the Master Chief; none other. As late-game guest star Cortana concludes, "The Master Chief was much more than Dr. Halsey and the press releases had indicated," and so he is.

Not just a gun attached to an arm, then. Huh.

All of which isn't to say Eric Nylund's novel is some transcendent specimen of fiction. It isn't. Its composition is as by-the-numbers as you'd expect given that only four (presumably mad) months passed between the conception of The Fall of Reach to its publication... though from time to time Nylund does have his moments. He asks the big questions - for instance "Was Dr. Halsey a monster? Or just doing what had to be done to protect humanity?" - and though he hardly gives such issues the room to develop, credit to the gent for the attempt; it's more successful, certainly, than any of the various games' attempts.

The Fall of Reach, then, isn't the book to get your other half pumped for some co-op Halo action, but what it sets out to do - which is to entertain, to intrigue, and to enrich the largely wasted promise of the fiction hinted at in the games - it does, and quick smart at that.

Now. Back to Team Slayer...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Halo: The Fall of Reach (Halo (del Ray Paperback))
Halo: The Fall of Reach (Halo (del Ray Paperback)) by Eric S. Nylund (Mass Market Paperback - 10 Jan 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01