Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 July 2003
The Other End of the of the Leash takes an insightful look at the way humans communicate with their dogs - both in day to day life and in training. It points out miscommunication between the two species that can interfere with training and the human/dog relationship in general. It is extremely well written and easy to read (humerous in places). A very interesting and fairly light read for training professionals and a true eye-opener for many dog owners.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2004
I discovered this book by accident on an dog trainer's web site, while searching the internet for techniques to get the attention of my spaniel even if he'd got an interesting scent in his nose.
The other recommended books were just the same old stuff, but this one is full of ideas and ways to communicate with and understand your dog. Very well written, funny, humble and full of effective techniques. I was in despair and I now feel confident that we are getting there.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2007
I love the style that this book is written in, it engages the reader easily with interesting takes on behaviour and case studies. As a newcomer to canine behaviour and psychology I found it a pleasure to read and it really helped me reiterate some of the main theories in my study. Highly recommended.
on 30 March 2009
I rank this book with "Bones Would Rain From The Sky" and "Dogs Never Lie About Love", and I feel sure that each of the three writers would be happy to be grouped together as the authors of master-works about our relationships with dogs. I could hardly put this book down; I carried it round much more than I usually do with any book, and relished every opportunity to read more! I cannot recommend it too highly to anyone who wants to understand their dog and also to raise the level of their self-awareness.
on 12 May 2009
This book is definitely worth a read although it is not the best out there. It points out the subtle messages that are read by dogs and allows a better communication with your dog. There are many references of our connections to primates and this is a very reoccurring topic. It is quite anecdotal and makes it an enjoyable read. For actual dog connection there is a much better book called 'If bones would rain from the sky." A better dog training book on a similar theme is "Gentle dog training". Each to there own!
on 4 August 2008
I found this book to be an interesting read, showing the differences between how dogs and people communicate, and how this can lead to problems. Although it could be said there is a little too much focus on primate behaviour, it does explain why people do what they do, and how our canine companions understand our actions.
I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in canine behaviour at any level.
on 14 June 2010
Ive been meaning to read this book for ages as it was on my reading list for my course - i wish id read it earlier - its brilliantly entertaining and id highly recommend it as one of my favourite dog training (and people training!) books.
Five stars.
on 5 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting and well written, even witty in places. Also have to admit nearly reduced me to tears in a couple of places too. She has very interesting ideas on dog behaviour, I just wish it had given more insight on how she actually rehabilitates dogs with aggression issues. A great read for any dog lover.
on 30 September 2012
At last, a dog behviour book that makes complete sense! It gives lots of insights into the differences between how dogs & primates (ie: us) communicate & how misunderstandings can arise. Where this book differs from so many others is that it doesn't make you feel a failure for not adhering to some wierd set of rules about 'achieving dominance' over your dog. I own three dogs (all rescue lurchers, not owned from puppyhood). With two of those dogs I'd probably never have felt the need to buy a book on dog behaviour. The third (who we got first in fact) is the kind of dog that sells books on dog behaviour! After having read just about every book & tried lots of tips from so-called experts, I found this book & 'The Dog's Mind' by Bruce Fogle to be the the most helpful, for giving insight & passing on some wisdom & for confirming that not all dogs are the same (obvious really). It does also have plenty of useful tips as to ways of communicating what you want, in ways your dog can understand. The other sort of book, that implies that if you stick to the writer's set of rigid rules, you can't fail to have a perfectly behaved dog by next week, is just a recipe for frustration for both dog & owner. I've come to the conclusion that my dogs know I'm not another dog (again, obvious really) & so don't expect me to behave like some alpha dog/wolf (phew). This book was obviously written by someone with both an academic understanding of animal psychology & behaviour, coupled with a large dose of common sense & hands-on experience. Not only that but the photo on the front is brilliant!
on 19 February 2012
At last there seem to be some writers like Patricia McConell, Turid Rugaas, Rosie Lowry and Barry Eaton striving valiantly to wean dog-owners (and, sadly still some misguided "professionals") off the old-fashioned methods of dog training into a new era where interaction with dogs is based on common-sense and observation, rather than discredited dominance theory. This excellent book, like those by the other writers mentioned, shows how there's absolutely no need for the now totally discredited "dominance theory", Alpha Rolls, clickers, commands, haltis, spray collars or other gadgets or gimmicks. Just read these books and learn how to co-exist with your dog. You'll both be better-off for it.