5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - an illustration of how to live with grace
The impact of 'Superman in a wheelchair' is enormously profound, and I think the way that Christopher Reeve tells his story, and the way he - and his family have responded to something which must have seemed so tragic is very sobering, and certainly I felt through the book that his story was asking some very deep questions about how we/I live my life.
He has turned...
Published on 28 Nov. 2002 by Lady Fancifull

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, awful Kindle version
Published on 18 Aug. 2010 by readie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - an illustration of how to live with grace, 28 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
He has turned something awful into a process of learning and self growth for himself, has benefitted through his charity work and fundraising for scientific research the prognosis for the possible regeneration of the spinal cord - which of course would be a huge benefit for many people with spinal cord injuries. He has also used his celebrity very well, to help to change the perceptions that the able-bodied may have of people with disabilities.
His courage and honesty and determination to live the best life he can, against all odds also made me (able-bodied) look at the number of times I 'give in' to small problems, 'give up' on small challenges. I think he is a great teacher and inspirer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately still him, 22 July 2001
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
This has been one of the most touching books that I have ever had the pleasure to come across. The horrific irony of a man who starred as Superman and being an irepressable sports enthusiast being crippled in the way he has is what stirred me into reading this book. Though there is such a total lack of self pity, and this book is filled with a deep love of life and family written by a kind a gentle man who happened just to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I highly recommend this book, it is one of the best I have ever read and certainly the most touching too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for anyone who cares about human life, 20 July 1999
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
This was a truly moving account of something I have never had to come into contact with but feel I could be of use should I ever need to care for someone who suffers such terrible injuries. Mr Reeve maintains his charismatic persona. He writes in such a way that one could fully understand the complicated treatment he received together with his round the clock care he receives today. His campaining for better medical insurance cover is a triumph as is his continuing participation in the film industry. His quest to walk again by electronic assistance is so brave, considering how experimental this emerging technology is. You get the feeling that if it is not successful for him, he will be happy to have improved the potential for fellow sufferers. An uninteruptable read, hopefully to be followed up 10 years after. A lesson in human perseverance

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully It�s Still Him, 22 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Still Me: A Life (Audio Cassette)
In Still Me by Christopher Reeve we are treated to an account of his life by a man who has been to the edge of death and has returned a stronger man. Focussing, in the main, on his tragic accident and his determination to walk again, his weaknesses and fragility brought on by his accident shine through. How those around him spurred him on through their dedication, their love and their commitment to him. He clearly used his fame to help those who had an opportunity to progress medical developments that one day may help him to walk again, and certainly to help educate us all with regard to spinal injuries but he does so with an ability to inspire us all to want to know more.
The way he questioned his spirituality or lack of it and how his accident has helped him realise the real value of life is inspiring to all of us and we can all learn so much by listening to his words. Having the opportunity to listen to his own voice on the audio version of his book brought it more to life for me.
My outlook on many things in my own life have been influenced by a man who is defying all the odds to survive and be still him. A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still me - an insight, 22 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
Christopher Reeves accident was well documented in the press, but no one had any idea of what was going on in his mind.
This book gives you an insight into the mind of a person who has had a life altering accident, regardless of his celebrity, everyone who reads this book will not be able to help but be touched by Christophers honesty.
It can be a little dark in places as the actor struggles to adjust to his new life, but the overwhelming feeling of the book is one of hope and determination.
An enjoyable read for both fans and lay man alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly well-written and interesting, but meanders a bit, 24 July 1999
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
The story of what happened to Christopher Reeve, the actor who played Superman, before and after his crippling accident. For the most part these two strands are narrated alternately; some of one, then some of the other. It is often well-written and hard to put down. A vivid impression of the energy and commitment he now puts into his campaigning comes across. But sometimes it does give the impression of meandering rather than having an organised plan. The latest edition carries a new afterword.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most moving, inspiring books i've ever read., 1 Jun. 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
This is one of the most moving, inspiring books i've ever read. It is part autobiography and part record of his rehabilitation. He comes across as a grounded, positive man and you can't help but feel inspired by his career, life, attitude and resolve to survive and enjoy his life after his accident. It is a cliche to say 'this book changed my life' but in this case it is true. It makes you evaluate your life and live with real appreciation. It is worth reading for that overwhelming feeling alone.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, awful Kindle version, 18 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Still Me (Kindle Edition)
I am about four chapters into the Kindle edition of Christopher Reeve's "Still Me". As I expected, I am finding Reeve's story interesting and moving. It has to be said, though, that the Kindle version of this text is nothing short of dreadful. Punctuation is missing in many instances, making it necessary to read sentences three or four times to make sense of them. I have also found randomly inserted numbers in the middle of sentences. And there are quite obvious errors - "neurosurgeon" when it seems to me that the word should read "neurosurgery", for instance. All of this is considerably marring my enjoyment of the book.

In short, I would certainly recommend "Still Me". But opt for the hard copy rather than the Kindle one.

5.0 out of 5 stars "One unlucky moment", 3 Nov. 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
Christopher Reeve's inspiring autobiography begins with the 1995 riding accident that left him a paraplegic when he was 42. The book then flows between the present and his past, detailing his childhood, extensive stage career, and sudden fame as Superman in 1978. In addition to being a popular leading man, Reeve was also a dedicated sportsman; the contrast between his life before and after the accident and the regimen required to not only survive but live an active and rewarding life is a fascinating story.

He credited his wife and children for sustaining him and giving him his love for life, and he found great joy and purpose in working on behalf of spinal cord research. His writing is honest and intimate. I'm glad he was surrounded by so many people who loved him to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational read, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Still Me (Paperback)
"Still me" provides an excellent and detailed account of Christopher Reeve's battle in dealing with a terrible tragedy, but then bouncing back and refusing to let it define his life. Christopher takes us through a compelling account of his life after the accident and describes to us in detail all of the challenges he has faced.

The imagery of "Superman in a wheelchair" is heart rendering at first, but when you see the courage and determination Christopher Reeve has demonstrated, you realise that this man does not need our sympathy but our respect. He really brings new meaning to the phrase, "Let's turn this frown upside down".

A truly great read that humbles, entertains and inspires. R.I.P. Christopher Reeve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Still Me
Still Me by Christopher Reeve (Mass Market Paperback - Jun. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01