5.0 out of 5 stars Journey Opens New Possibilities
Published on 22 Aug 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 books in 1??
Published on 24 Oct 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey Opens New Possibilities, 22 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I have read all of the Lauren Laurano stories and enjoyed the new avenues that this book followed. Moving (part-time) out to Long Island, partnering with Cecchi, beginning to work out long-standing problems with Kip -- all of this gives Lauren more options for future exploration. Also, I liked the new plot device of revealing each of the "interviewees'" reactions to Lauren's questions about the case; it more clearly linked each of these characters to the murders that had been committed. Sandra Scoppettone has proved for over 20 years that she is an innovative and creative author and this novel is another example of her refusal to keep following a tried-and-true formula, book after book. Now, I just hope it won't be two years before the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 books in 1??, 24 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Good and readable as Scoppetone always is. I think the relationship between Kip and Lauren hijacked the book, so that the actual plot events weren't as terrifying and dramatic as they could/should have been. Going by the last two LL books, SS has a very good book trying to get out - one that deals with midlife relationship changes and the whole problem of having to re-evaluate our lives constantly if we want to keep them satisfying. Her dialogue is brilliant - again, between Lauren and Kip, showing how conversation can degenerate into confrontation within the space of a couple of words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new Scoppettone work, 31 May 1998
By A Customer
In the previous novel, her spouse caught New York City private detective Lauren Laurano in the arms of another woman. Months later, the Laurano relationship remains troubled, but Lauren and Kip are trying to save their marriage. Towards that end, they leave the Big Apple to help some friends renovate a house recently purchased in Seaview, Long Island. However, before they can recapture the magic that they seem to have lost, Lauren stumbles over a suspicious death.
To Kip's displeasure, the victim's mistress, who does not believe her lover committed suicide as the police have declared, hires Lauren to uncover the truth. Lauren soon learns that the seemingly tranquil town is actually a hot bed of violent crime that includes nine allegedly accidental deaths over the past five years. At the same time, she does not believe a sociopathic serial killer is systematically bumping off people. Instead, the answers are out there and it is a much uglier conspiracy than even Lauren expects to find.
Sandra Scoppettone is renowned for her intriguing Lauren Laurano mysteries and her newest entry, GONNA TAKE A HOMICIDAL JOURNEY, proves that very few writers compare to her. The use of flashbacks connects this novel to the previous one and aids the new reader in understanding the characters without alienating the old reader. Ms. Scoppettone's ability to provide her characters with human emotions, strengths, and especially weaknesses is awe-inspiring and is only one of the reasons they are fan favorites. This is must reading because it is more than an interesting mystery; the novel is good literature.

Harriet Klausner

3.0 out of 5 stars This Lauren Laurano mystery didn't measure up to the others, 14 July 1998
By A Customer
I have read all of the mysteries in this series and my partner and I had looked forward to this new one for quite awhile. I had been pleased with Sandra Scoppetone's previous ability to delve into the relationship between Kip and Lauren, give colorful insight into New York life and at the same time present an intriguing detective novel. This novel was thin (I finished it in one night) and it just didn't have the character development, warmth and humor that I had come to expect in her books. For as long as we waited for it to come out, I had expected something a little bit more involved and complex. It was in many ways a one dimensional novel that left me unsatisfied. Scoppetone's previous books dealt with a myriad of issues that were truly thought provoking, everything from homelessness to drug abuse to infidelity. This time we had the murder mystery and the problems in their relationship - and that was it. And after awhile I didn't care about their(Kip and Laur! ! en's)problems anymore. This is in contrast to the other books where I was completely engrossed in their relationships and their friends. Frankly, this book just wasn't that interesting. I will however look forward to better from her in the future and I will buy the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Be Reading You Always, 30 Jun 1998
By A Customer
As always, I anxiously awaited the publication of another Lauren Laurano mystery. When we left off, Lauren was caught by her partner, Kip, in the arms of another woman. We all wanted to know how that and the other difficulties they were having would be resolved. But this is a mystery, folks! Kip and Lauren go with the Js to Long Island where Kip helps them remodel a house and Lauren finds herself a series of crimes and odd suspects to pursue. Lip service is paid to resolving Lauren and Kip's problems. And the crimes are a series of loose ends many of which are dismissed or forgotten all together. Compare this to "Everything You Have is Mine" or the others in the series and it appears that Scoppettone was racing to meet a deadline to get the book out. The painstaking detail of developing the crime and sorting out the leads is missing here. Scoppettone has the wit and the intellect to create a much more plausible and more entertaining story. I hope she hasn't become bored by these characters because she is one of the best in Lesbian fiction (and mystery) writers. I'm looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Journey!, 8 July 1998
By A Customer
Once again one of my favorite writer had written a very good mystery! Scoppettone didn't disappoint! Even though I loved the mystery being set in a small town. I perfer Lauren & Co. in N.Y. City! I read this book with great pleasure! Now I'm going to have to wait another whole year for the next Lauren Laurano mystery. I had order Gonna Take A Homicidal Journey and received an autographed copy! :-o)!!

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing entry in a good series, 12 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Having read all the titles in the Lauren Laurano series, I was surprised at how feeble "Journey" was. Lots of driving around, very little action (mental or physical), shallow character portrayal, and hasty writing. The ending was pathetic, like a hurry-up job to get the manuscript to the publishers on time.What happened?

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Retires, 23 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Surprisingly after my review of this one, I received e-mail from Scoppettone who said she's moving on to new characters, probably under a new pen name. Good news is she'll still do crime. And if you've read any of her earlier (non Lauranos) you'll recognize the common wit and style. It will be fun to guess when her next ones come out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor plotline with many holes in it., 29 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Gonna Take a Homicidal Journey (Lauren Laurano Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was very disappointing. The plot was non-existent and the dialogue one-dimensional. I thought pages had fallen out of my book at the end because I couldn't believe the way the murderer was revealed, with absolutely no analysis of or connection to the clues. It seemed that the author decided that she had written enough pages to satisfy her editor, so she just said "It's obvious to everyone that the murderer is [X].", and then ended the book with another silly scene between Kip and Lauren. I usually look forward to the next book in a series, but I was not sorry to read that she has no plans to add to this series. Maybe she'll spend her free time going to some writing classes.

Gonna Take a Homicidal Journey (Lauren Laurano Mysteries)
Gonna Take a Homicidal Journey (Lauren Laurano Mysteries) by Sandra Scoppettone (Mass Market Paperback - Jun 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01