5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD INTRODUCTION TO A SUPERHORMONE
The author provides all the information one needs to take advantage of and maximize the amazing properties of the natural hormone DHEA in a safe and effective manner. His DHEA Plan is not only about taking pills but also improving one's lifestyle with stress-reduction techniques, an exercise program and dietary guidelines.

DHEA is a natural hormone produced in...
Published on 14 Dec 2001 by Pieter Uys

1.0 out of 5 stars no no no
hormone replacement is a risky business. feedback loops mean that taking DHEA will halt the bodies natural production. This info is so outdated.
Published 11 days ago by mr r hasson

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD INTRODUCTION TO A SUPERHORMONE, 14 Dec 2001
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dhea Breakthrough (Mass Market Paperback)

DHEA is a natural hormone produced in the adrenal glands; the full name is Dehydroepiandrosterone. The author covers all aspects of the hormone, from the Dioscorea plant in which the supplemental form is obtained, through the manufacturing process, down to dosage directions. The therapeutic potential of the substance is examined with reference to its ability to reduce stress, protect joints, build bones & lean muscle mass, counteract fatigue, beat depression and boost memory. DHEA may eventually play a greater role in the fight against cancer, diabetes, heart disease and osteoporosis.

Cherniske's witty writing style keeps the attention throughout, and the book contains a number of appendices (resources, health support organizations, reasons why it is essential to take vitamin supplements) plus a glossary, bibliographic notes and index. Each chapter concludes with a bibliography of articles from the scientific literature and the text contains a few black & white illustrations. Oddly enough, the grandmother of all natural hormones, Pregnenolone, is never mentioned and does not occur in the index. This is strange in view of the fact that in the body DHEA derives from Pregnenolone and shares with it a number of features.

I also recommend Ray Sahelian's books on DHEA, Pregnenolone & Melatonin, The Superhormone Promise by William Regelson and the work of Ronald Klatz as valuable sources of information on all the superhormones & other supplements that can extend and improve human life; besides natural hormones these include amino acids, vitamins, minerals, trace elements & phytochemicals as well as medicines like Cimetidine & Deprenyl: The Anti-Aging Drug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cherniske's analysis of DHEA is persuasive., 18 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dhea Breakthrough (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading "The DHEA Breakthrough" by Stephen Cherniske, I bought some DHEA and since my age is 57, I now take 50 mg daily and have been for about 10 months. I can't respond to all of the claims Mr. Cherniske makes, but as to improved energy, strength and increased vitality, the results are there---in spades!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been taking DHEA for about 6 months., 7 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The DHEA Breakthrough (Paperback)
I haven't read the book yet but have experience of Dhea. What I find most remarkable is the difference between various brands. I have taken 3 different brands, all claiming to be close to 100% pure and of pharmecuetical grade. The first one I took was 50mg a day of NON micronised DHEA. The second was 50mg a day of micronised slow release DHEA and finally 25mg of micronised DHEA with bioavailability enhancing factors. The last is the most recent and I have not noticed any change in mood, libido, strength or weight loss. It is too early with this one to be sure however of the effect. Perhaps I need to increase the dose to 50Mg. The slow release DHEA seemed to have a strong effect in the head, making me feel quite strange at first but after a week or two I got used to it. Again I noticed litte advantage on the product. However a couple of friends of mine on a 25mg dose did experience good results with this version of DHEA, in particular my female friend, went back to a weight she hadn't been for 10 years and had her skin improve markedly. She also came out of a rotten hole of hormone problems she was having. The first DHEA I took was non micronised. This had by far the greatest effect on me. I lost weight, felt fitter and my mood and libido improved markedly. I think perhaps it was the conversion of the non micronised DHEA in the liver to Dhea sulphate and testosterone that was giving these results. The juries still out but I think the non micronised was better for me. Why not a product half and half? Better still coupled with pregnenalone as well. I would be interested to hear of any ones elses experience with these products.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 14 April 2014
Walker (GRIMSBY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
used dhea for around a week and the results are truly amazing. running and training much fast. feel much younger. WOW
book is plain and simple to follow. not read all only sections i am needed to

5.0 out of 5 stars Shea book review, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Dhea Breakthrough (Mass Market Paperback)
Very good book with lots and lots of very helpful and useful tips. Read the book from cover to cover and am just starting to read for a second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The DHEA Breakthrough, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dhea Breakthrough (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an incredible book. Written in 1996 it is still very relevant 17 years later. It helps one's understanding what happens when your body lacks the hormones you once had when you were young and what can be done to remedy the situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative read!, 31 Mar 2013
Ms. J. P. Mckeefry "jomc" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
Quite interesting. I purchased some DHEA after reading this and have found some noticable improvements in my health.
Food for thought.

1.0 out of 5 stars no no no, 18 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Kept Secret (almost), 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Dhea Breakthrough (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought and read this book in 2011 and was blown away. The author, a biochemist is informative without being biased. The balance of the book is impressive. The reader is enabled to make an informed decision in progressing forward with DHEA (or not). The 'fear' factor is dispelled, in as much as one learns to cross-check references to the product in line with personal health issues, gender, age etc. Cherniske also mentions derivatives of DHEA (such as 7-Keto) and where to purchase the products. So overall the reader is left confident in the understanding of the principal of DHEA and where this natural supplement can assist in their daily well-being.

I purchased 7-keto which does not present any of the 'side-effects' that some people experience with 'DHEA' and the results were remarkable. I took 1 25mg per day. I now take (after 2 years or so) 1 x 25mg every other day. I find this is all I need. The impact is immediate, so when you stop taking it, it is no longer in your system. Particularly good if you don't like how this makes you feel (unlikely however).

I immediately bought six books for the family and friends I knew would benefit from reading and ultimately taking 7-Keto. Some had remarked on my 'upliftedness etc. '. All but one, now use 7-keto and had symtoms of Fibromyalgia, Parkinsons, Arthritus, Menopause and M.S. All have better, pain-free days.

I would highly recommend this book and the topical product.

Now Foods, 7-KETO, 25 mg, 90 Vcaps

3.0 out of 5 stars very one sided, 9 Jan 2013
This book was very informative but very lengthy , it could be condensed in half the pages . This author loves dhea and quite happily quotes all the studies , but ignores any studies that contradict his argument , so it is very one sided and I would be surprised that he doesn't try to sell you the stuff at the end of the book. Don't get me wrong I take dhea myself and am happy with the effects , but when I bought this book I wanted a balanced viewpoint . I would recommend any person wanting to find out more about dhea to research the web , sticking to sites where they are not trying to sell you it , and get a balanced viewpoint .

The Dhea Breakthrough
The Dhea Breakthrough by Stephen Snehan Cherniske (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Sep 1998)
4.82