on 20 September 2002
First one of ADF's that I've read for a few years. More philosophical depth than I was expecting andf some really enjoyable thieving/escape/evasion scenes in the first two thirds of the book.
The last part though it seemed that he hadn't really thought about how to finish it and made it the usual huge big massive sci-fi to awe and overwhelm. Unfortunately it didn't and was out of sunc and proportion to the rest. A shame - but with all that still a fun read - especially if you're a fan
on 11 December 2007
If you are a fan of ADF and/or the Flinx series you will find this one does not quite meet the mark of previous Flinx adventures. Having said that it is still a good read taking the reader through an adventure exploring more aspects of the Commonwealth universe of ADH's imagination. As in other adventures Flinx get help by from other forces (and without his calling) rather than by his own talents. Unfortunately this book also feels incomplete as it leaves a lot of unanswered questions, which hopefully will be answered in future books. Not a book for those wishing to be introduced to ADH's writing or the Flinx series.
on 16 November 2001
As a fan of the Commonwealth series and especially those involving Flinx I looked forward to this installment of Flinx's adventures with relish and for the most part I found it very good.
However, the ending was very unsatisifying and i felt Alan Dean Foster let the readers down with its lacklustre finish.
on 10 August 2014
I like SF so this is another for my collection as I am going paperless
on 29 October 2015
I have liked all of the books about flinx and of course Pip
on 30 July 2014