5.0 out of 5 stars Tania Aebi's trip - and book - can inspire us all, 14 May 1998
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
A truly Good Book. Far more than an adventure in a strictly geograpical sense, Maiden Voyage left me uplifted with a reaffirmation of life, lived fully and simply. We get to sail around the world with Tania, experiencing and feeling what she does as we look over her shoulder, living with her through her fears, joys and triumphs. And seeing what she describes. Some of those wonderfully picturesque mental photographs that developed in my mind as I read almost made tears come to my eyes: The southern stars reflected on the calm waters of the Pacific as the phosporescent wake recedes behind us... The lights of Puerto Rico and St. Thomas disappearing below the horizon as we head for the Panama Canal... The reflected brilliance of a Pacific sunset... Unsurpassed for nautical adventure, Tania's enthusaism for sailing and her unigue ability to put into words the sheer magnificence of this earth we often take forgranted...

5.0 out of 5 stars A sailing must read!, 21 Feb 1997
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
Absolutely wonderful book, not only did this young lady have to stuggle with growing up, but with the riggers of learning how to sail. A true voyage of self discovery seen through the eyes of innocence and wonder. Inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars I keep buying it for my friends., 8 April 1999
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
The original edition, which included pictures of the voyage, was better. Even so, this is a fantastic and inspiring book about an incredible adventure. I first read it a year ago and, ever since, have been buying it for friends in the hope that it will make as much difference to their outlook as it did to mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A"must read"for any true sailor., 17 Sep 1998
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
I have read this book twice now & can only say I fall in love with Tania & all her friends each time I read it.If only we could all enter adult hood this way.

4.0 out of 5 stars For all serious travellers, 15 July 1997
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
This is a great travel book, as well as a must-read for sailors. After reading it, I had an intense desire to buy a boat and head off into the open seas. It took me weeks to get my thoughts back onto dry land.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally charming., 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
Of all the 'Round the World' sailing books I have read, this one stands out, though quite why, I am not really competent to judge. Not only is it beautifully written but the mixture of the author's previous quite tough life, with all the adventures, trials and tribulations of the long-distance sailing life, made for a most attractive story. There are many passages in the book I will remember for a long time - and the fact that she eventually married the man she met in the Pacific, also a single-handed sailor, was a lovely ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
I'm not even slightly interested in sailing(!) but I found this book hugely interesting and inspiring - An excellent story well told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antidote for Mid Life Crises, 18 Nov 2007
Andy (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
Well, it won't really solve your mid-life crisis, unless it inspires you to do something just as crazy. Her father must be one interesting guy, pushing his daughter into single-handing the world with so little sailing experience. She talks about him a lot, and his adventures sound like they're worth gathering up into book form.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a perfect summer read! Take it to the beach!, 23 July 1998
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
Tania takes you with her on her exciting voyage. Tania's detailed account of her adventure will bring out the explorer within you. She is a remarkable young woman that will inspire you. Take this book to the beach this summer and marvel at the ocean's power and romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exellent read for any level of sailor., 8 Jan 1998
This review is from: Maiden Voyage (Paperback)
Perhaps a little on the romantic side, but what other way is there to talk about the sea and all its mysteries. To this day, everytime I see a Contessa 26, I remember Tania's adventures. And, I see a little boat that could... Sure does make you think twice...if she can do it, then?

Maiden Voyage
Maiden Voyage by T. Aebi (Paperback - 1 Mar 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01