5.0 out of 5 stars The Spirit of Africa
I just loved the whole feel of the African Continent that is hovering barely below the surface of this book. I felt the superstitious beliefs of the people that led them to adopt a small boy as a tribal chief and follow his boxing prowess throughout the years.

Published on 2 April 2008 by DubaiReader

2.0 out of 5 stars The Power of One
I know I only paid a pound for the book, plus postage, but it did say the book was in good condition. However, it looked very well read, which I have to admit a little upset about. I think it's also quite an old edition, it looked old. As it was sent on behalf of a charity I am not too concerned, although I can't imagine that it is worth bothering for a pound but they...
Published on 3 April 2010 by Mrs. E. Plumb

5.0 out of 5 stars The Spirit of Africa, 2 April 2008
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)

We meet Peekay at the age of 5 when his mother is admitted to hospital after a breakdown and he is sent to boarding school. As the youngest by 2 years and the only Rooineck (British South African), he gets a really rough time, but it paves the way for the person he is to become. He becomes adept at blending into the background and begins his life search for 'the power of one' - the strength that keeps him one step ahead of his tormentors and results in a fierce determination to learn to box.
As we follow him through his school years he meets some very unusual and influential people, all of whom help to map his character and develop him into a rather unbelievable yet charismatic all-rounder.
I would have dropped a point for these super-man qualities, but the book was a gem in spite of this.

I would never have read this if it hadn't been chosen as a (rather long!) book group read and I am so pleased I did. At the end I felt there was need for a sequel and it seems that one was written. Tandia is the story of an African woman who meets Peekay after he leaves us in the copper mines. At 920 pages it's a huge tome, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful walk through the life of a boy growing up, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Power of One Pb (Paperback)
Bryce beautifully captures the thoughts and actions of a boy age 3 all the way though teenage life. You will laugh or cry each time PK learns something new, meets an interesting character or discovers the harsh realities of life. The language is easy but punctuated with little gems, that I'm sure you will remember for a long long time. Well worth a read. Go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!!, 26 Feb 1999
This review is from: Power of One (Hardcover)
This book is so awesome. It shows you how one person makes a difference and the stuggles he had to overcome. The writing is superb. There is also a movie out, and when you watch the movie you think it is great, but when you read the book it changes your life. I recommend watching the movie first because it shows you a basic of what the story is about, and then watch the movie because it goes into so much more detail. It will be one of the best books you have ever read, I promise, and definitely worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great novel from a great author., 23 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)
This is a powerful story of one boy's struggle against prejudice in South Africa in the 1940's and his dream to become a world champion boxer.
It is definately one of the best books written on the quest for equality in an unequal society and shows Courtenay to be a great dramatic writer. The boxing descriptions are gripping , and it held me from start to finish. Not on to be passd over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping & haunting. An Africa of both tragedy & beauty, 9 July 1999
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)
This is most powerful work of fiction I have read on South Africa. Inspiring & full of wisdom, Courtenay nevertheless keeps up a blistering narrative pace, never succumbing to the temptation of a political monologue when he can instead let his characters emphasise his point all the more forcefully through action.
What comes through most powerfully is the passion that the land inspires from both white & black. Courtenay's liberal use of other languages within the narrative lend his prose credibility whilst his depiction of black tribal beliefs & rituals make it obvious he has done his homework.
All this may leave you thinking that this book is heavy going. It isn't - it's a classic page-turner full of juicy murder, love, betrayal etc.
Whether you simply want a cracking holiday read, or fancy getting under the skin of Africa, apartheid & being inspired by Peekay (the central character) 's own brand of wisdom & morality - I recommend this without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 15 Mar 1999
This review is from: Power of One (Hardcover)
When I first read this book back in 1992 it helped to explain the South African situation from the eyes of a little boy who knew no predudice in his life and was confused about the reasons behind the conflict in his country. I have since read the book several times, as I have all of Bryce Courtney titles, and still find it as moving and evocative as ever. Don't bother with the Film adaptaion as it bears very little resemblance to the book and will only serve to confuse. After you have read this move swiftly on to TANDIA which is the second in the series and you will find that just as brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you put this book down?, 28 Nov 1998
This review is from: Power of One (Hardcover)
This is a book which I found difficult to put down once I started reading it. The language is very vivid and the descriptions of locations and characters allows your mind to visualise it very clearly. This book is one which I was able to relate to a visit to South Africa six years earlier, and felt that some things have not changed (the year was 1991) and so could see the attitudes of people which were in the book still in life today. I first came across the Courtenay's work on tv, yet when I read the book it held my attention better than the film did. I felt I was there with PK and could smell the flowers in the air. The only warning I would to say those who are thinking about buying this book, is do'not do it if you do not have the time to read it, as you will not want to put it down until you have finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of One, 27 Mar 2013
Anne Kilcullen (ATLANTA, GEORGIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power Of One (Paperback)
Enjoyed this book ...powerful story with great imagery and unforgettable characters that held me spellbound. Peekay's tenaciousness in coping with and overcoming the cruelty, hatred and conflict of a divided society is heartwarming . What an amazing storyteller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)
Well packaged, delivered on time, good value. Am in a book club so need to buy a different book every month that I wouldn't normally choose, would definitely use this seller again. And I really enjoyed the book!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the Effort, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Power of One (Paperback)
This was this month's choice for our book club. Some were a little put off by the violence which, they agreed, was an integral part of the novel - not just gratuitous. Most of us skipped some of the details of the boxing matches, but neverthe less agreed that it was a powerful book that has a positive impact.

The Power of One
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (Paperback - 31 Dec 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01