Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 January 1999
I found this book to be extremely helpful. My boyfriend and I are both separated and of course have had moments of ambivalence and doubt combined with feelings of extreme love and closeness and major fear. This book has taught me that ambivalance and doubts are a normal part of any relationship. Relationships are a dance of moving forward and backward all the time. Just because someone is having doubts or isn't sure, doesn't mean the relationship isn't a wonderful one. This book has kept me hanging in there because now I understand that what we are both feeling and going through are a normal and expected part of any healthy relationship.
on 8 October 1996
Three months into every relationship I've ever had, the
person I was dating would freak out, demand space, insist
on seeing other people, or tell me he wasn't ready to get
serious. Before reading this book, I thought I was choosing
the wrong people. Now, thanks to _A Fine Romance_, I know it's
nothing personal -- it's just a phase. This
is the single most helpful book about relationships I've
ever read, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's
dramatically improved the quality of my love life. I've been
known to call it my "secret weapon." Forewarned is forearmed!
on 23 September 1998
Discover healthy ways to find, keep and nurture love. I wanted to highlight so many sentences to share with friends, until I realized that I could relate to almost every word on every page. It is a book that teaches, relates, understands and explains all the phases of relationships and how to attain a great one, without preaching. Every page had something on it that I said, "been there, done that". Great, easy reading for anyone who wants to improve their chances of finding and keeping the perfect mate.
on 1 July 1998
I hate dating but when it comes to long-term relationships, I'm a pro! So, if I wasn't in a committed long-term relationship, I was floundering in the dating pool until I mysterously found someone compatible to me. This book helped me make sense of what was going during the dating stages and explained why I was able to move so quickly past them.
I also highly recommend this book to the divorced or widowed who haven't been in the dating scene in quite some time too.
on 15 September 1996
Sills provides a context and roadmap for courtship, from the intial meeting to full partnership commitment (which may not occur until well after a marriage). It is so comforting to finally understand what is happening. She says it is only for straight couples, but trust me, it is universal and applies to gays as well. I've read a lot of this type of book. If you are trying to understand a courtship this is the book you want!
on 20 November 1998
A friend recommended this book to me and I admit, I was skeptical. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I wanted my son (who's 27) to read it so I gave him a copy thinking he would probably put it on the shelf a ignore it. Not only did he read it, he highlighted sections and gave copies to his friends.
on 4 August 1998
This book is great! It isn't so much a how-to but a what the heck is happening? kinda book. Very reasurring during the turbulent and insecure moments in any relationship. My boyfriend even read it and liked it! He keeps trying to analyse what stage in the relationship we're in.
on 26 June 2016
This is a great book, well worth reading, but beware, this is exactly the same as another book by Judith Sills, "Finding Love, Keeping Love". This one has a more pleasant typography.
on 11 July 2014
item as described, quick delivery, recommended, thank you!!
on 14 April 1999
If only I had read this book twenty years ago! Sills does a great job of laying out the territory in a plain and easily understandable manner; so much of the romance landscape makes sense with the perspective that her work provides. And like Excess Baggage (her other must read work), this book gives you the understanding you need to chart your own course; no preaching or judging, just a clearer understanding that can only lead to better choices.