5.0 out of 5 stars A Bewitching Epic
THE WITCHING HOUR is a long book. When you open it, you wonder how you will ever reach the end. However I would definitely not let a little thing like that put you off.
Published on 12 May 2012 by Eric Ian Steele

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazin plot!
When I began reading this book, I wasn't sure if I could finish it. As it is with many books this was a bit boring to begin with, and the sice of it (1207 pages) wasn't comforting.
But after a couple of chapters and an open mind I knew I could and would finish it, I had to know how it ended.
The carecters are well writen and the plot is fantastic.

In...
Published on 5 April 2009 by Iben

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bewitching Epic, 12 May 2012
Eric Ian Steele (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
Yes, the book does meander. There is a leisurely, atmospheric introduction before we are introduced to the main characters. A good 200-300 pages in the middle contains a potted history of the Mayfair family. Such abrupt shifts of focus seem jarring at times, as if the author is finding her way. Yet it is precisely in these passages that some of her most brilliant writing occurs.
As a fan of the Vampire Chronicles, I have always thought that Rice is at her best when evoking Gothic historical scenes of high melodrama. However this book showcases some of her other talents. The lengthy passage which introduces Michael Curry is simply incredible. It manages to sum up the entire life of one man - an extraordinary feat of the imagination. The central story of epic history of the Mayfair Witches with its Faulkner-esque intrigues and incestuousness was also spellbinding. These instances of world-building were for me, the highlights of the book.
The sheer quality of Rice's writing shines throughout. The description of the New Orleans Garden Distict is striking in its detail. Her ability to handle so many characters, each one utterly credible, creates a rich world filled with believable people. The gathering of the Mayfair clan was a standout example of realistic writing.
If the book has a weakness, it's that some of the modern-day scenes early on seem a little hard to swallow, especially the dialogue. When a rich neurosurgeon meets a rich propery developer we would be forgiven for wondering if we have strayed into some TV soap opera. Also, sometimes the erotic passages went a little too far for me. But that's just my own personal taste.
However when the plot finally asserts itself in the final third of the book, it comes with a vengeance, and the book becomes a relentless steamroller of horror. We are treated to one shattering revelation after another. The plot twists come thick and fast - keeping this particular reader to the edge of his seat - until the devastating finale.
One of the most impressive things about THE WITCHING HOUR is Rice's refusal to offer any easy answers on the question of good and evil. The way in which the entity (for want of a better word) in the story justifies itself to the heroine is presented in a chilling, utterly believable light. Make no bones about it, this is a horror story of the highest order. Michael's love of Great Expectations was an irony that was not lost upon me.
In all, I would say this is a very entertaining and thoughtful read that passes swiftly. It is one of the best modern horror novels I have read in a long time. Rice has succeeded in creating a new mythology to rival her vampire lore, and I am sure it will continue to attract many new readers.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rice at her best!, 14 Mar 2003
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the Vampires (at least up to Body Thief) and adored the Mummy, but I think Witching Hour is her best. The HUGE book is absolutely compelling from beginning to end. The Book moves from Modern day story of a young woman, the end product of centuries of witches that are under control of "the Man" called Lasher( because he could make the trees lash when he was angry) into the past of her ancestors. Each generation of the "Mayfair Witches" there was a chosen female that 'inherited' the man, and he brought power, he brought madness.
The book leisurely details the woman's modern day life, returning to New Orleans for the funeral of her mother, the base of the family of witches male and female, and comes to terms with her heritage, Lasher and a destiny plotted for her leading to a horrific coming: bring Lasher into this world. We see a lot of the tale through the eyes of the people around this family, as the agent for the Talamasca (seen in the Vampire Cycle), the watchers and recorders of witches and vampires, collect the tales on the family.
It is a leisurely paced book, that brings one into mind of New Orleans' slower pace, but it's spellbinding, haunting, deceptively mesmerising. When she moves the tale of the Mayfair witches into the past and traces each generation of witch from early Scotland on, she is breathtaking. Rice uses ancient Scots lore and gives it a new life in her evocative, provoking tale that will keep you hypnotised as few works do.
Don't think she was better before or since. It's simply a master piece. Followed up with Lasher, Taltos and Merrick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 13 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book. The depth and richness that Anne Rice places into the narrative are amazing. You can almost see, touch and smell New Orleans.
The book within a book concept that is used within the novel to detail the lure of the Mayfair family with the spirit that gives them their witchcraft is wonderful showing with great care the advantages and disasters this brings to each generation of the family.
In my honest opinion this and the follow up books in the trilogy are better then the vampire books that I am also a fan of.

5.0 out of 5 stars another truimph for Ms. Rice, 3 July 2006
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
I have always been a fan of Anne Rice so when I was told that this was a good read I said I would give it a go.
It is about a family of witches, The Mayfair Witches, and I never thought that I would never like it as much as the Vampire Chronicles but I was wrong!! It kept me engrossed from start to finish, the only bad thing I could say about this book is that even though I kept reading and reading I thought that I would never get to the end (its got over a thousand pages!) That being said I really did not want the end to come. I loved it so much that the day after I had finished it I went straight online and ordered the next 2 books in the series - Lasher and Taltos.
If you like Anne Rice then I can safely say that you will really enjoy this book, it is everything I expect from her!
Again it is a brilliant book if I could have given it more then 5 stars I would have!
BUY IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ohhhh, it's a long one!, 16 Mar 2000
This book was looooong and it took me an age to read, but it was worth it. I love Anne Rice's books and have read all I can lay my hands on. This one is so detailed, i could play it like a film in my head and see everything so clearly, nothing was left to the imagination to make up. The Mayfair family and Lasher, the witch loving ghost are still haunting me and are insisting I read 'Lasher' as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- couldn't put it down!!!!, 25 May 2001
I found it a little slow to get into at first but after that I was hooked! Having read the book, I now have the desire to visit New Orleans and I could almost believe that the characters were real. I've ordered the next book in the series- "Lasher" and can't wait to dive in!You'd be mad not to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars witchcraft at i'ts best, 22 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
I read this book some years ago and have recently re-read it. What i find so compelling is that you can feel the nervousness of the characters. Each one is a fullbodied character.
The story line is complex and full of historical substance without being overbearing. New Orleans is brought to life and the suspense is drawn out to perfection.
If you have never read an Anne Rice novel you are in for a treat. I think this is her best novel and is far superior to the Vampire chronicles. the Mayfair witches are ruthless, beautiful, alluring and savage in their use of the spirit Lasher.
Buy it, Read it , but enjoy the world it transports you to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazin plot!, 5 April 2009
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Paperback)
The carecters are well writen and the plot is fantastic.

In the middle of the book is the reason why this book only gets 3 stars. There is a very long passage that I think should have been shorter, some things could easily have been let out without ruining the book.
When/if you read it don't stop during these pages because the rest of the book is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 13 Aug 2003
John Higham (LIVERPOOL, MERSEYSIDE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Witching Hour (Audio Cassette)
A real historical journey from the dark ages of Scotland to pre revolutionary France to Creole New Orelans up to the present day. This lavish journey through magic voodoo and intrigue will keep you fixed for hours

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow plot, long-winded descriptions, 13 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This is the first book by Anne Rice I have read and probably the only one I will. Of the 1200 pages at least 600 are tedious descriptions of locations, relations or ancestors which are entirely irrelevant to the story. On numerous occasions I found myself skimming through page after page to locate sections where the plot moves forward.
It's rather disappointing since the story is quite promising and if it concentrated on the main characters would retain the readers interest. I understand there are two further books in this trilogy but if they are all this turgid then they are not for me.
Makes you wonder if the author is paid by the word...

The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches)
The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches) by Anne Rice (Mass Market Paperback - 31 May 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01