5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning work of historical fiction well written !
Published on 8 Dec 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Indian Information/Boring Read
Apparently, little Frannie Slocum had a weak bladder because it is constantly betraying her throughout the first part of Mr. Thom's book. Why the emphasis on bodily fluids I do not know. An interesting event in colonial history, but at least for my own part it did not hold my interest.
Published on 13 Feb 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning work of historical fiction well written !, 8 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
The author has done it again!!! James Alexander Thom is well known for being a master of the historical fiction novel...and in the case of The Red Heart...he only adds to his unique reputation! I was totally absorbed in the story of Frances Slocum from page one! The author completely succeeded in making me care about the main charactors in the novel and, more importantly, he taught me quite a bit about the history, culture and lives of the Native American peoples among whom Frances Slocum lived. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who has even the slightest interest in understanding more about the history of our nation's earliest days. I also would recommend this book to anyone who would like a rousing read and a real "page turner"! Without a doubt this is one of the author's finest works to date!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, 20 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually am not one to read historical fiction, but with Thom I make the exception. This is a fantastic read! Very visual. And you can tell that Thom did his research!!!! Very educational!!!! I recommend this book to anyone who has interest in Native Americans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Indian Information/Boring Read, 13 Feb 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, emotional story. . ., 25 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all six of Thom's historical novels. I didn't think he could top the others, but this story of Frances Slocum's transition to strong Miami woman grasped me and pulled me into those times; the characters are alive and real - both the Miami people and the Slocum family. I thank Mr. Thom for sharing this story with his readers and will continue to watch for more books from this important author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read!!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
I always love reading James Alexander Thom's books, written from a positive understanding of and with great sympathy for the native Americans who inhabited a great Continent long before 'white folk' ever came there. This book is a very fair representation (I think) of the good and bad alike in both races of people and gives insight into what must have often happened when white pioneer children were taken from their homes to replace native American children who were killed by white soldiers and others who had barged into a land, already inhabited, and took it without paying for it as though the land was theirs just for the taking. Of course, there are always exceptions to this and Thom seems to me to always give credit where it is due in his writing. He is a master storyteller and it is hard to put his books down until you have finished them. Write more for us, Mr Thom!!

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating*, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
From start to finish i found this book captivating... Now i'm searching for more of the same

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating book., 5 April 1999
This review is from: The Red Heart (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a Slocum decendent. My gggrandmother's name was also Frances Slocum. (not the Frances in the book) I found this book by accident while searching for books on the Slocum's and truely enjoyed reading about a very distant cousin. This book also helped to change my thoughts about Native Americans, although not negative, it gave me a new understanding of the Native American's due to the fact that all I knew of them came from old cowboy movies. Thank you Mr. Thom for helping me to understand and for helping me to see "to be an Indian wasn't cowboys and indians". You also helped me to know some history behind one branch of the "Slocum" family tree. Deborah Jones

The Red Heart
The Red Heart by James Alexander Thom (Mass Market Paperback - Nov 1998)
4.75