Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 19 April 1998
This author wrote a total of 19 affordable paperbacks on the topics of Tibet and the forgotten mystic abilities of mankind. You may have heard the stories about the author, that he was a "hoax", not who he claimed to be. Read the books! He openly discusses all of these accusations, and often states that because his story is so unusual, he is often disbelieved. Then, once you tire of the whole controversy regarding the author, you will still be left with a wealth of down-to-earth information about topics considered "out of this world". If you are seriously interested in the possibilites of reincarnation, astral travel, meditation, etc. but you don't want to read a bunch of New Age jibber-jabber, read The Third Eye and any other book by T. Lobsang Rampa. The author's writing style is warm and humourous, interweaving the lessons with stories from his facinating life experience. I have read and re-read all 19 of his books so I am obviously a fan...but I was skeptical at first. You will be too, because the story is unlike any you've ever heard. Never mind, whether you consider his work fact or fiction, Rampa's books are page-turners one and all. (Note: those who mentioned their wish to contact the author...unfortunately, this is not possible because he passed away in 1981.)
44 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2011
This book was brought for me by an old friend and I must say it was a great read. Rampa's life fascinated me, it is packed with ancient knowledge of reincarnation, astral body projection, kite flying, aura seeing, clairvoyance and levitation. It took a while to get into the book as there is a slow build up but I found it getting better and better with each page and by chapter seven which is called 'opening the third eye' I was abaolutely gripped! This is a heart felt write, I felt that it didn't come accross as well as it should've done becase it is not the authors native language but it is really worth reading if you are into esoteric knowledge, the paranormal, Buddhism or are interested in Tibet and their sacred way of life and how they perceive the human body as a prison for the soul to learn.

This is a great account of what life was like back the the first part of the 20th century.
After reading this I shed a tear as I felt that I had really learnt something about how unique us humans are and how western civilisation doesn't acknowledge this as we have been duped to love materialism and ridicule spirituality. The author does adress this issue and alot of what he mentions in the book about Earth's history such as the Tibetan people believe that years ago a planet had hit Earth igniting many catastrophes and causing man to 'fall' and forget who he really was. However, the Tibetans preserved some of the lost ancient knowledge and wisdom and Rampa brings alot of this forward in this book. He also talks of his encounter with a yeti up in the hills of Tibet and also his meetings with the Dalai Lama.

There is so much more to this book as well and I think you should definately order your copy now and get reading!
on 25 June 1998
I first read this book in 1973, (which made the best seller list in 1957) and could not put it down. Dr, Rampa, (who I am told died in 1983) was a Tibetan "Lama", a recongnized incarnation, according to the Buddist religion. After being educated as a medical lama at the Chakpori Lamasery in Lhasa, he traveled to China in the 30's to complete his medical education. While serving with the Chinese army during W.W.II, he was captured by the Japanese. He escaped, and traveled the world for the next decade, including the U.S. Eventually his body, broken from years of torture at the hands of the Japanese and Russians, wore out. He returned to Tibet in the 50's and "died". With the help of the secret Tibetan metaphysical master lamas, he underwent a "transmigration", in which his astral body took over the body of an englishman, who was about to commit suicide (this person worked for the local waterworks, hence the derisive term "plumber", which was used by the British tabloid press in an attempt to ridicule him). Read about this in "The Third Eye"," Doctor From Lhasa", and The Rampa Story". I corresponded with Dr. Rampa several times in the '70's, and I can tell you he was a real person. I loved all his twenty odd books, and also the two books written by his wife. Read them , and learn about the real occult world. He is passing on the true ancient wisdom held within the land of Tibet for eons, the true story of human evolution and potential.
on 1 April 2001
This little beauty fell out of a minstrel's backpack in a post office in Wales when I was there hunting for a commune - way back when. He gladly gave it to me, saying there were more where that one came from.
The Third Eye was exactly what I needed when I needed it, giving me a broader view of life; stretching my mind & tickling my soul.
When I got to America I bought other Tuseday Lopsang Rampa books yet his Third Eye has always been his best.
I heard tell that people were hounding this author about his authenticity. It's not the messenger, folks, it's the message & the Third Eye is full of messages.
If you want to open your mind to other vistas & your soul to other climes - get your hands on a copy of the Third Eye & enjoy! It is a nutrient-rich read.
on 14 February 2003
Lots of people kept saying to me that i should read Rampa's book. And I did with high expectations. It was usual thing to do something with high expectations and end up not being satisfied. However, Rampa's Third Eye did live up to my expectations or more than that. It's an extraordinary book that shows one that you can look at life from dufferent angles and find out the true meaning of life. Afterwards i looked at myself and realised that I seek happiness and inspiration of my life from petty material things that does not last and nonsense to my Overself. The Third Eye is also very interesting book as a story of a boy who had to study and learn a lot to fulfil his aim in this life. The book also shows the extraordinary nature and belief of Tibetan people. I strongly recommend you to read this book and Rampa's YOU FOREVER. Life is too short to miss out the true meaning of ourselves
on 30 September 2015
It is not written by a real Lama but
'' Lobsang Rampa is the pen name of an author who wrote books with paranormal and occult themes. His best known work is The Third Eye, published in Britain in 1956.Following the publication of the book, newspapers reported that Rampa was Cyril Henry Hoskin (8 April 1910 – 25 January 1981), a plumber from Plympton in Devon who claimed that his body hosted the spirit of a Tibetan lama going by the name of Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, who is purported to have authored the books. The name Tuesday relates to a claim in The Third Eye that Tibetans are named after the day of the week on which they were born.'' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsang_Rampa
on 26 February 2009
This is truly worth a read ! if only for historical value of an ancient culture ! before its final ransacking by the modern world ! of a time when we as people were worth more than the sum of what we own(materially) But for those of us on the spiritual path ! it has great insights & values ! Hopefully one day we may all read this & understand what we could have lost if we had just given up & accepted defeat !! A definate must read book !!!
on 1 February 1999
"Interesting title", I thought, as I picked this book up out of a box which was about to be disguarded my junior year in High School. It seemed to be about "Psychic Stuff" and Tibet. What more could I ask for?? Little did I know. What I had just done was lay eyes on the book that would change my life, for the very first time. I read it in one night, skipping all meals, telephone calls, and visitors...completely engrossed in this book as i'd never experienced. And I sat there in my dark room all night long staring out the window afterwards, contemplating what i'd read. I read it again a few days later. And again...and again. I forced everyone I could to read it, too. Trying to preserve this copy, as I couldn't find another in library, or specialty store. For many years, I feared that i was preserving the last remaining copy. And now I find that they have re-issued it. I cannot stress enough what a gift that is to humanity. Someday, someone else will find one of these copies about to be disguarded....and the magic will continue.
on 11 March 2015
A total work of fiction, it explains very little about what the third eye actually is, better answers can be found on wikipedia.
on 17 May 2013
Or is it a work of complete fiction? I remember reading a couple of books by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa when I was much younger and I wanted to read his books from the start. Interesting, but I'm not convinced.