‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the River is the best survival book I've read., 1 Dec 1997
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read this book three times and teach it to my twelfth grade English classes. Mary Ingles is an inspiration of the possibilities of endurance of the human spirit. Victim of a brutal Shawnee attack in the summer of 1755 she is force marched from Virginia to Shawnee, Ohio while nine months pregnant giving birth on the trail. She is sold into slavery and taked to the area near Big Bone Lick State Park in Kentucky. Together with an old Dutch woman she escapes and begins a 1,000 mile trek home through unknown and hostile wilderness. In 43 harrowing days she goes from 125 pounds to under 80 pounds as she faces the elements, starvation, wild animals, hostile Indians, implacable nature, and a companion that turns cannibal. The reader shares the agony of the journey with Mary as she must go the final miles on her hands and knees. The most amazing thing about the story is it is true. Like his other historical novels Thom has done his research and he makes the history come alive for his reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging!, 27 Jun 1999
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
I choose this book because I am researching my family's genealogy and had heard I was somehow related to Mary Draper Ingles. Was I ever surprised and encouraged by such a women. It made me realize that life's little problems are but obstacles to overcome. I think Mary Draper Ingles can give us all a little encouragement, strength and hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 April 1999
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
Follow The River has to be the best book I have ever read. This is a true story of survival. I grew up in the Virginia/West Virginia areas described in the book and am very familiar with the New, Kanawha, and Ohio Rivers and other surrounding areas/rivers as well. I loved following Mary's journey and refering back to the maps in the front of the book as I went. In fact, I now live on the Ohio River and was thrilled to know that Mary's journey quite possibly lead her through what is now my yard. The physical discriptions of the landscape were right on and the story of Mary's determined spirit was amazing. This is a book you can not set down. I am currently reading Panther In The Sky, also by Thom and it is excellent as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Fav. Book of All Time!, 28 May 1999
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
I have never gotten so into a book. The writting was so visual it was like i could see what was going on. It was graphic but that gave the book feeling. I loved it and have never found a book that could come close to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a book I couldn't put down., 27 April 1999
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading this book I haven't been able to find another book that draws me into it like this book does. I am an outdoors person so I could visualize everything that Mary was going through during her journey down the river. I am currently reading another of James Alexander Thoms books. It is hard to compare it to Follow The River. It's the first book that I've ever read three times. I've yet to find a book that compares.

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favorite among all historical fiction titles., 11 Dec 1997
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
The historical figure in Thom's book could not swim when she escaped from her Shawnee captors with the determination to return home. Yet she forded rivers and streams, surviving in the wild by sheer determination. In this book you don't just read about the experiences of this remarkably brave woman. Through James Alexander Thom's skill as a writer you plumb the depths of her loneliness and your gut knots tight with her fear. In preparing to write this great book, James Thom hiked the actual trail followed by the pioneer women who became the leading figure of his novel. Most amazingly, when he has led you through the trauma of his horoine's remarkable trek home, he tells you what details she actually lived and which events he fabricated for your benefit as a reader. When I realized what he was doing, I was sure it would ruin my perception of the work. Instead, it deepened my appreciation for the book, its author, and the amazing woman he portrayed. I recommend Follow the River for EVERY reader--but especially for those who are taking their first taste of historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration to all human beings., 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Follow the River (Kindle Edition)
What an inspirational woman! I have read this book a number of times and each time I am totally in awe of what she endured and overcame.
The author has done a fantastic amount of research allowing the reader to see, in their minds eye, what frightening and almost impossible situations she took on and conquered, it proves that the body and mind is so much stronger than I would have ever believed.
Mary Draper Ingles story will stay with me for a very long time and is a must for anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities. A fantastic story 10/10!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tale of a titanic struggle for freedom, 25 July 2008
B. J. Madeley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
I had never read a book by this author before, but I was encouraged by all the positive reviews I had read on amazon. Follow the River tells the tale of Mary Ingles - a settler at America's Wild frontier, who (whilst very heavily pregannt) is captured by a Native American Indian tribe. Mary suffers terrible hardship, as she sees several members of her friends and family slaughtered and scalped before her eyes and is taken in to the wilderness where no white person had ever travelled before. Nevertheless she is determined to break free and return home to her husband.

This novel is a thoroughly well-written and enjoyable story of one womans monumental courage and inspirational determination to overcome every obstacle in her path. She forces herself to walk over 1,000 miles along treacherous and difficult terrain, through almost total exhaustion and starvation.

Follow the River is an excellent novel and one that I recommend to anyone who has never read a book by James Alexander Thom.

5.0 out of 5 stars follow the river, 12 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Follow the River (Paperback)
excellent i read the book in a day recieved as a gift and i couldnt put it down it shows remarkable courage dtermination and how we can do something if we want it bad enough the only part i found upsetting was the 1st chapter i know its a true story but i feel the author went too far in describing the indians massacre especially of the killing and scalping a baby infront of its mum more than we wanted to read truth or not if you are upset easily bypass 1st chapter the rest is too compulsive to miss

5.0 out of 5 stars You are prisoner of this book from page 1 to the end!, 19 Jun 1997
This review is from: Follow the River (Mass Market Paperback)
A glimpse into what it was like on the wild and unknown frontier. Mary is a courageous woman with more guts than anyone I've ever met. A truly inspiring story about the will to not only live, but to be reunited with her husband and her 'life' as she remembered it. The detail of each scene makes you feel the same anxiety, pain, anger, hunger, fatigue, and mostly hope that Mary felt. In the end, you wanted to know more about this woman and what happened after the book ended. Based on a true story!?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom (Mass Market Paperback - 12 Nov 1986)
Used & New from: 0.01