5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine the unimagineable
An editor asked Asimov to write a story after discussing with him a quotation from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
'If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore, and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown!'

The resulting story, also called Nightfall (Nightfall and Other...
Published on 28 Mar 2011 by Sars

2.0 out of 5 stars Best and Worst
I am a fan of Asimov, let's get that out of the way first, while this is the first Silverberg title I have read.

Published on 14 July 2006 by Mr. Ik Johns

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine the unimagineable, 28 Mar 2011
Sars (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightfall (Paperback)

The resulting story, also called Nightfall (Nightfall and Other Stories) was first published in 1941.

The novel-length adaptation was a collaboration between Asimov and Silverberg. It doesn't really add much to the story, what it does add is character development. As another reviewer pointed out, it's missing 'that special Asimov touch', particularly in the Daybreak section. However, it's still an incredibly imaginative and thought-provoking read.

Having re-read it multiple times over the past 15 years or so, it's still one of my all-time favourites.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best and Worst, 14 July 2006
Mr. Ik Johns "ieuan_johns" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NIGHTFALL (Hardcover)

OK this is a really good book from start to finish, the carachters are believable in a 1984 kind of way and enarly all of them have some depth. The idea of starting with three seperate storylines is a good one, if a little overone in recent years, and they tie together nicely (and much more unusually) very early in the story (by end of chapter 1 of 3).

The time skip between chapter 1 and 2 is a little lazy and it takes a bit of careful reading earl in Chapter 2 to see the change in relationships and point of view over that time in between. But by the end of the chapter things make sense again.

The third is very different, extremely bleak and slightly odd in the way it treats some of part 1/2's charachters, who have been built up, almost uncaringly, but this is perhaps an attempt to reflect on the very nature of the new world that is being described.

However, this is a 3 chapter book that desperately needs a fourth. The way chapter 3 ends is very unsatisfactory, being neitehr a real ending nor any sort of open ending (if that is possible, as it just feels that there should be more to follow. I assume that this is meant to be clever and show that a story like this will have no discernable ending for centuries (which is true), but honestly just seems like they go bored and decided to end it there.

The book was enjoyable enough whilst reading it, like I said it was a good story, but in the end I look back on a book and think about it. I can usually say that a book has a satifying story, makes me think or teaches me soemthing, this book really has none of those three things.

Overall nice writing and a good story but almost anyone can manage those two things in writing a book, what makes the greats is their ability to connect, teach, entertain and satisfy in equal quantities and this faisl in at least 3/4 of those categories.

I am an Asimov fan still and will look up Silverberg for his writing style if nothing else but forthe beginner I am sure that there ate better titles than this from both.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what ever happened to the great Asimov?, 24 Aug 2014
Mr. M. Macrae (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightfall (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear, the wonderful Asimov could have written this as a short science fiction story of about ten pages at most. It seems that Silverberg attempts to put in a love interest. Boring, I would go to another author for that sort of stuff, who cares here? The story can be worked out by any self-respecting Asimov fan from the first few pages , then many tedious chapters skipped over to the conclusion.
Many suns: rare to have night time at any given moment, when it does, they see: stars, go mad (why?) end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightfall - Issac Asimov, 1 May 2003
This review is from: Nightfall (Paperback)
I read this book back in 1980 in its original short story form and later in 1994 in its, now, extended form and was not disapointed. with its more in depth story line and the typical flare and great writing that you would expect from Issac Asimov, this book comes strongly recomended. The end of each chapter makes you want to keep reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Science Fiction Master, 4 Feb 2004
This review is from: Nightfall (Paperback)
Isaac Asimov is, for me, the best Sci Fi writer in the world. The way we see mankind with all its faults exposed in different worlds and characters in his books does everything for me. That said, this book was the first I ever read by Asimov, so, even if I do want to be as unbiest as possible, it's very hard. I think there are two completely different sides to this book: Before and during the nightfall, where you have an interesting pace to the telling of the story, where the suspense is built in an exciting way and where you begin to see where the author is going with the story. The second part is after daybreak, and here, although I agree that this is probably more Silverberg than Asimov, I don't think you have a bad story. On the contrary, I think that Silverberg has a chance to show what is best about his writing; the cinicism in which he looks at the human kind. The story isn't satisfying, far from it; but isn't that the whole point? To reach the end and think... Damn it, I can't believe it ends like this? I think it is, and I think that's very well achieved by the authors.
A great book about the way we deal (or fail to deal) with the unknow. I have to say that, apart from The Lord of The Rings, this probably is my favorite book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The original story deserved six stars...., 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nightfall (Kindle Edition)
Yes, it's a good sci-fi novel- But no,it
is not the incredibly original Asimov-story,
first published in 1941: it's much more
diluted, didactic and adapted to the taste
of today's movie-going public.

Still, there is a good analysis of what may happen
after the "horror vision" of a dark sky full of shining stars...
The two authors depict a crazy Post-Nightfall-Society,
characterized by utter disorientation, crime, lack of real
leadership, creation of small, local dictatorships and,
finally,theocracy as the only way out of the
frightening chaos.

Worth reading.

Elisheva Guggenheim-Mohosh, Geneva, Switzerland

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic read, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Nightfall (Paperback)
I originally read this book in my teens and loved the concept. I recommended it to a friend and leant them my book but they lost it so this is the first time rereading it since then. This book introduced me to Asimov and Silverberg. It's pretty much how I remembered but these days I prefer more depth of character and story development. Still, it's an easy read and thought-provoking and I vaguely remember referencing the story concept (along with a few other sci-fi titles) in a school English essay!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual standard!, 5 April 2014
Aldebaran (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nightfall (Kindle Edition)
Having read most of Azimovs books I thought this offering was below par. The story started well enough but the plot fizzled out about half way through. Does not compare favourably with his "Foundation" series.

1.0 out of 5 stars What was Nightfall?, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nightfall (Kindle Edition)
A simple concept to which the author failed to give any depth of thought. It was as though 21st century life had been imposed on a different planet without seriously considering all the ramifications. In my view, the story never developed beyond an interesting idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars He is the king of scifi, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nightfall (Kindle Edition)
This book was amazing. Love Asimov and the stories he wrote. My love of scifi started with him, and still to this day he amazes me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Nightfall and Other Stories
Nightfall and Other Stories by Isaac Asimov (Mass Market Paperback - Nov 1984)
Used & New from: £0.40