on 30 May 2008
I bought Richard's Bicycle Book new in 1983 while I was still at school. It was my bible back then when I rode out of necessity. Now I ride for pleasure and, having managed to get hold of a good secondhand copy, it's my bible once more. Now, things have moved on somewhat since 1983, such as the introduction of mountain bikes and hybrids, but there's still a lot here of relevance and interest. My particular favourite section (and the one I re-read as soon as I got this copy) was on how to 'deal' with a dog that's attacking you. Not for the squeamish, that bit, as Richard's view is that you're fighting for your life. Hmm. Not quite sure why I'm fascinated by that bit *shrugs*. I love dogs, really, I do.

A few years ago, I bought Richard's NEW Bicycle Book, expecting it to be even better than the original, but was disappointed. This book is a good read, as well as a useful reference, and is still the one to have.
on 25 August 2011
Bought the (then new) book. Read and re-read it and loved it. Bought a tourer.

So much of the book is good stuff. Knowledge and experience without being high-handed/bike snob shines through.

There is serious in-depth techy stuff way beyond my knowledge and need, yet simple obvious stuff like Kick-Stands being a waste of time.

Bit of a time-capsule too, this just pre-dates the advent of Mountain Bikes, and I believe there is mention of 'Sustrans' just before it started. Raleigh Industries was the World's Biggest Bike maker, then.

Good holiday read.

Hardtail Mtb is all I need, but the book has me hankering after the lightness and lessness of a good steel tourer.
on 21 April 2009
... with S Morgan. I got my copy in 1983-ish, when I was commuting to work on a bike every day. My first name is Richard, and it was bought for me as a witty Christmas present. The first part is an exploration of the bicycle as a mode of transport, a fitness aid, a lifestyle accessory, even a political statement. But RB never gets holier-than-thou about it - he just loves bikes, and it shows in every word he writes. He also includes a guide to buying the right bike for you, which is the most sensible thing I have ever read on the subject. Amusingly, he describes in detail the birth of the mountain biking movement in the US, and predicts that the little-known mountain bike will comprise over 50% of all bikes sales in the future. Little did he know! The second part is a maintenance manual, which covers all the things you are ever likely to want to know about, full of common sense and practical advice. Like the other reviewer, I bought the updated version but found it a little disappointing. This editon, dated though it is, is a real classic and repays reading again and again. I doubt if I will ever get rid of my copy. Just having it around makes me feel good.
on 8 August 2013
Was given a copy back in the early 80's, first edition I suppose if the other reviews are correct.

What I read in here has saved my life a couple of times - once on a bike - "don't brake if hit from behind" simple, obvious but not instinctive.

"Always have an escape route" - make it a habit. Seriously.

It covers all the bike technology back then and techniques too, stuff like gears and brakes, how to cope with dog attacks. I'm sure I remember his worst moment was being pursued by a "large and determined goose".

It's not at all pompous or elitist, it's a down to earth read and a bloody useful thing.

Enjoy!
on 16 May 2014
Purchased because I misplaced my copy. Excellent book for a DIY bike owner who has an older (pre-1970) bicycle and wants to maintain it. Excellent descriptions, diagrams, and pictures. Readable and useable.
on 24 February 2011
A classic book for the period with great tips and riding advice, a staple for traditional cyclists. Sets out views on cycling that are becoming ever more pertinent in a world of escalating fuel prices.
on 7 June 2016
I bought my first copy of this shortly after it was put on sale. The author is a man of vision and an eco warrior and a champion to me. The book is clear and a joy. Magic! I must get his second book.
on 11 March 2014
I have bought this brilliant book as a present for my son-in-law, now a keen cyclist living in America. I first came across it in the 1970s, good to see it hasn't really changed even if bikes have!
on 19 September 2013
Fantastic book for anyone who owns an older bicycle and lots of relevant information regardless. The Author is obviously very passionate about bicycles I couldn't help but feel inspired.
on 10 August 2013
Masses of worthwhile information and with plenty of illustrations to guide one. No excuse with this in your library to get bike things wrong.