Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2008
L. J. Smith exceeds herself with the reissue of THE SECRET CIRCLE.

Though some of her older books, especially THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, are a delight to read, THE SECRET CIRCLE is leagues ahead in not only writing skill but in plot and characterization, as well.

The main character, Cassie (who coincidentally shares a first name with this reviewer), is likeable and easy to relate to as a plain, shy, sixteen-year-old girl.

After moving to New Salem to live with her mother and estranged grandmother, Cassie finds herself included in her new school's intimidating secret club. Once she is initiated as a witch, Cassie soon finds out that the beautiful boy she fell in love with over the summer is part of the coven, too.

Cassie must sacrifice true love in order to protect her adopted "sister," Diana, but what else will she have to sacrifice? And what does the club's rebel member, Faye, have to do with the cursed crystal skull and the mysterious deaths in New Salem?

Ending with a breathtaking cliffhanger, L. J. Smith's THE SECRET CIRCLE will leave you begging for more.

Reviewed by: Cassie Beale
on 19 February 2010
Well if theres any justice, they'll make this into a CW show too!

I remember reading the 1st Secret Circle book when I was younger, about 13/14 and i loved it, i have read it to death, its all dog eared and very loved!

So when I saw a chance,to buy them all new I jumped! delighted!

these books follow the story of a young girl called Cassie Blake who moves to New Salem with her mother, and end up staying with her grandmother on Crowhaven Road.

Cassie starts school, and pretty soon realises that theres something a bit different about these kids, all exceptionally beautiful, and everyone seems to idolise them, as well as being frightened of them.

By the same author as the Best Selling Night World and Vampire Diaries, i challenge you to not love these.

my only criticism is the set up of the books, beware when you buy you need:-

The Initiation & The Captive Pt 1 and The Captive Pt 2 & the Power

these are 1.5 books each.

Happy reading! Excellent Books.
on 30 December 2011
This book starts with Cassie and her friend, Portia standing on a beach, they see a guy walking and coming along in front of them. but when he gets close to them Portia freaks out and says something under her breath but Cassie cant make out what she has said but Cassie thinks she says witch.
Later Cassie is standing alone and she see the guy again but he is being chased by Portia's brothers and Cassie helps him hide from them, and the two make a connection.

Cassie finds out she is moving to a new place with her mum because her grandmother needs there help. but Cassie doesn't want to go. But when she gets there she finds her self part of this new group and she finally finds she belongs somewhere but things arnt what they seem and strange things start happening. Cassie finds the group she has joined is a group of witches and Cassie herself is indeed half witch and she was needed to make up the circle. Cassie likes half of the group but others not so much. The group start looking for the old artifacts that will help them with there magic but Cassie finds half the group want to use it for there own gain and they use it and lets an evil spirit loose.

Over all view: Well I'm not to sure where to start with this book, I wasn't really impressed with the start of it. The over all story idea was good but I think so much more could of been done with it. It started out slow and sometimes read like a dictionary but having said that once I got past the start and half way through it started picking up and started grabbing my attention. It started out getting more Mysterious and I started enjoying it, I just wish it could of been like this right from the start. I'm gonna say I loved the characters in this book, some more then others. Faye was amazing it was nice to see a witch with a little bit of a dark side. I'm wishing for the next book that Cassie ends up with Nick and not Adam.
on 6 July 2012
I read this series as my friend loves L.J.Smith and told me to read her books. I found this book very slow and I had to force myself to keep reading. I didn't feel a connection to the characters and I don't think they had much depth to them. Overall I was disappointed with this book and probably wouldn't read it again.
on 7 October 2010
It is amazing to think that I had never heard of this author until this year when I started getting into Vampire/paranormal fiction! The more I read by this author the more realise what I have been missing out on.

This trilogy is utterly captivating and had me reading for practically two days solid (including into the early hours).

I love the plot being based around witches as one of my favourite movies (among many) when I was in my teens was The Craft.

The main character Cassie is a shy girl who moves to New Salem with her mother to live with her estranged Grandmother. Feeling a sense of dread at starting in a new school Cassie soon finds herself on the wrong side of the beautiful but highly powerful and intimidating Faye and becomes a social outcast within the school. But things take a different direction and before Cassie knows it she has a new adopted sister and a circle of friends with hidden talents. But what about the mysterious boy that she met on the beach during the summer and now can't get out of her head? Will she ever meet him again?

I also recommend:-

Dark Visions by LJ Smith
The Forbidden Game by LJ Smith
Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Kissed by an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler
Linger by Maggie Steivater
and of course it goes without saying - The Twilight Saga, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and The Host by Stephenie Meyer
on 19 January 2012
I decided to read this book as I absolutely love the TV show. I had been told it wasn't anything like the show, but I still wanted to read it anyway as I love books about witches. I had been told by a few people that the books weren't very good at all. To start with this put me off reading them, but when I got around to it, I really enjoyed it. I'm so glad that I didn't listen to the people who said it wasn't very good. It is quite different to the TV show, but I think this is a really good thing as it's like two completely different stories. I couldn't put this book down and loved every second of reading it. It's better than the Vampire Diaries books that L.J Smith has also written. I loved how the author explored all the character dynamics and relationships. The book creates such a vivid picture in your mind of what the places and characters are like and the story is really enjoyable. I can't wait to read the next one, and hopefully lots more after that. I was completely surprised by how good the book actually was. If you like the supernatural type of books and books with really engrossing love stories, I would strongly recommend reading it as it has become one of my favourite book series.
on 23 January 2012
As an avid Vampire Diaries reader and fan of L J Smith, I picked this up through curiousity, and was thrilled. In fact i'm still wondering why I hadn't read it before I did? It is written brilliantly and the characters and plot are absolutely amazing. I could not put it down and quickly progressed on to the second book which is equally as good.
I have watched the TV programme which in my opinion doesn't stand up to the quality of the actual books, they are completely different, there are different characters and plot too not to mention that the way Cassie and Adams relationship is portrayed on the TV is rubbish. If you are reading this and have come to the page because you are a fan of the show, buy the books without any doubt because they are head and shoulders better.
I am looking forward to the release of The Secret Circle: The Divide I just wish March would hurry up :)
on 10 September 2010
An excellent read. Moreish with it's romantic theme and the mysterious goings on. Highly recommended
on 31 August 2009
I first came across this book when I was a 15 year old book worm going to the library making my way thought the teens section. This book was an accidential pick up as the book I wanted was not in so I was reading the back cover and it gives just enough away that you wanted to read it.
I had been though bulling and moving to a new place myself so as I read the story it spoke to me in a way that I felt I was in the story and I become Cassie and felt all of her emotions.
The story is fast processing quickly but felt to me that someone had researched the past and traditions of witches. When I first read it was in three different parts each got better and more intense in the story line which was fantastic to find a book that got better though out and not repeating things that you have already read in the previous books.
on 13 June 2010
I bought these books many moons ago when I was a teenager myself (I'm 29 now!) and loved them, I thought they were wonderful. I loved the characters and how there was a real good/ evil split in the group of friends. I discovered my old books back in March after they had been boxed up when I moved out of my parents house and I read the trilogy again in less than a week - I can honestly say I enjoyed them as much as I ever did. They are great for young teens right through to people who are still teens at heart. There's just something about Smith's writing style that enables you to relate to the characters really well. I also loved the Vampire Diaries, Forbidden Game and Dark Visions series but the Secret Circle books have always been my favourite. Awesome books!