Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2011
when i finished Shadow Wave i was left really rather disappointed, it wasn't the book it could and should have been. whether this was due to james adams as a character being stretched too far or the time restraints of producing 2 books a year we shall never know.

this, however, is an entirely new installment in cherub history. we follow ryan sharma on his first mission, thought to be routine but turns out to be the biggest in cherub history. he must investigate the aramov clan, based in krygyzstan, by befriending ethan aramov, grandson of head honcho irena.

we also meet fu ning. adopted when she was small by fu chaoxiang and his scouse wife ingrid, she is naturally athletic and has a rebellious streak. but when her stepfather is arrested for trafficking people into europe, her life is turned upside down and she must do anything to escape dandong, china. but to what end?

People's Republic is fresh and exciting. muchamore has returned to the style of writing we saw in the early cherub books, but this series does not feel like it was tacked on the end. it is amazing in its own right not just as a follow on from the original 12. it is not obligatory that you read the original cherub series prior to this but i feel a familiarity with cherub, campus and it's inhabitants would allow you to enjoy aspects of the book more.

i for one cannot wait to delve back into the tale of ryan sharma, his nutty mates and one very heroic yucca plant. this book is well worthy of the five stars i have awarded and i have high hopes for guardian angel, it's sequel.
on 13 August 2011
Peoples Republic by Robert Muchamore was gripping and entertaining, it had me hooked and I read it in less than 24 hours.
This book is the start of a new series, and the book is written in chapters that change from characters viewpoint, and Peoples Republic changes from Ryan Sharma, a new agent eagerly awaiting his first mission, and Fu Ning a disruptive Chinese student, who's life is about to drastically change. This book is just as good as all the others in the previous CHERUB series, but I think it's slightly more adult, (like Shadow Wave, or Brigands M.C.) I will be buying the next in the series out in 2012!
on 4 August 2011
A very good read. At the high standard set by the first Cherub series and Henderson's boys, this new series does not disappoint.

It is a very nice mixture of more of what we have come to expect yet different enough to be an excellent series in its own right.
A difficult balance to maintain but, fortunately, the author hits the mark / balance spot on.

If this is your first book by Robert Muchamore, and you enjoyed it, you should definitely read his other books. You won't be disappointed.
on 30 August 2011
Great book, clever start to a new series. well rounded characters and fast plot. Ideal springboard for continuation of series. Ideal teenage fare.
on 24 October 2011
As the founding member of THE NO PROJECT, an independent public awareness initiative against Human Trafficking, I am absolutely thrilled to see an author bringing this crime to the attention of young people through literature. Can't thank him enough. A leader in his field. THANK YOU! Incidentally, I am an author of teenage educational material myself, and I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. GREAT STORY -and that's coming from someone who knows trafficking from the INSIDE. Without doubt I shall do all I can to promote this book on anti trafficking sites that teens and parents visit! THANK YOU.
on 13 April 2012
People's Republic by Robert Muchamore. I seriously wondered whether I would like this book. It's starting all over again with a new bunch of twelve-year-olds but this book does not disappoint. It follows Ryan on his first mission. He has to gain the trust of a boy who's mother is involved in criminal activities. However, Ryan's attempt goes horribly wrong and Ryan is left feeling extremely guilty. Across the world a young oriental girl's life falls apart. When Fu Ning's father is arrested she finds he is not the person she thought, he was actually a smuggler of women and young girls. Ning herself is smuggled into England with no idea of what danger she is in. Excellent book!
on 8 August 2011
More of the same great stuff from Robert Muchamore. If you have read is other books then you may be slightly disappointed at the relatively entirely new cast, but this well written book does disappoint. A great double-barrelled storyline is well handled and exciting for teenagers in particular throughout. If you haven't read his previous books then I would recommend reading them first, although they are not a necessity.
on 20 April 2013
I have read every instalment in the CHERUB series and have enjoyed each one; when I found out that Muchamore was writing a new series with new characters, I wasn't entirely sure it would work without the characters I'd grown used to.

But instead, 'Peoples Republic' is arguably the best CHERUB book to date. The new character, Ryan, is very different to James, so this gives the series a breath of fresh air and a new set of characters just makes it even better. The story is well written, entertaining and makes for a BRILLIANT read!!!

Muchamore has done really well in giving us new story but with the same setting that we've gotten used to. I recommend this book to any CHERUB fans, as this is the series at its ABSOLUTE BEST!!!
on 1 October 2015
I'm a huge fan of the CHERUB series and I've started reading the spin off series, Henderson's boys, too. I started reading these books when I was in high school and I've been following them ever since, albeit slowly. While I finished CHERUB a while back, I've yet to catch up on the other two series, including this one.

This book definitely wasn't disappointing. It had all of the traits I've grown to love from Muchamore, especially his sense of humour. While you can expect lots of action and suspense from his reads, the humour is what separates them from other books featuring a plot based on espionage.

I will mention, as is the case with a lot of series, that CHERUB holds a special place in my heart. I followed those characters for a long time, so to be reading about the same place and some of the same supporting characters, I missed James terribly. I couldn't help but compare Ryan to James and how he first behaved on the same campus with the same teachers.

This book seemed to be a lot more plot driven than the CHERUB books. The other series focused a lot on James and his character development and for a 12 year old, Ryan seemed a lot more mature than James did in the beginning. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it just gave the book a different feel to the other series and made it stand out quite a bit. It wasn't more of the same stuff.

I'm definitely interested to see what happens with this whole Aramov clan - it was interesting to find out that one mission will carry on across a few books.
on 16 May 2012
I Loved the last Cherub Series, but I was quite unsure about a new series, purely because I had grown up with James along for the ride (so to speak)

Muchamore has done a great job in the past of expressing characters of different ages.

Compare the young impulsive James from book 1 to the Young adult we saw at the end of the series.

I was worried he might not be able to jump back to the shoes of a young 11 year old.

But he has done just that. I keeping with the darker settings of his later works we are thrown into the life of a Orphan in China who is desperate to escape.

The book follows her desperate struggle to survive before at the end bringing her to Cherub.

Opposed to the last series where James ends up in Cherub off the bat, Ning (the new girl) has to fight, lie and steal just to get herself to that position.

A couple cameo appearances from well known faces helps remind us that the series is all part of the same world.

It would be nice for the series to make a couple references back to previous books and perhaps wrap up a few more loose ends.

I wait eagerly for the next book to see where it takes us.