5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant WW2 espionage thriller - from the author of CHERUB
Published on 9 Nov 2012 by broxi3781

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant WW2 espionage thriller - from the author of CHERUB, 9 Nov 2012
broxi3781 (belfast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill (Paperback)
This is book 6 in Muchamore's Henderson's Boys series. You could read this book as a stand alone book, but I wouldn't recommend it. On it's own this would be very good book. Taken as part of the series it is a truly exceptional book and one of the best pieces of modern fiction I have read. This is because the series as a whole allows for a great deal of character development, and jumping in towards the end you would miss some of this, and well as some of the background information on the story.

This book begins with Rosie dropping into occupied France. Muchamore started writing for boys, but the strength of his female characters is amazing, making this a perfect book for girls who want a story with something more than vampires and snogging. Rosie is wonderfully crafted character who breaks traditional female stereotypes. Rosie's mission doesn't go to plan but she soon finds herself in possession of notebook with details of a new weapon that may turn the tide of the war back in Hitler's favour. This may be CHERUB's most important mission to date. As soon as the details of this notebook come to light, Marc, Luc, Paul and Sam begin training as snipers in a nasty contest between the youngsters to see who will be chosen for the mission. Henderson will be going as well and we will see old friends from previous volumes as well as a few new ones, but I will keep the details limited to avoid any chance of spoilers. I will only add one small fact - the weapon featured in ths book is not fictional, it was being developed by the Nazi's at this time.

This book is written in Muchamore's usual fast moving high action style. There are no lulls in this book - or good places to stop reading for the night - meaning I had to finish it the first night. There is constant suspense and action, but there is an extremely well developed overall plot as well - it isn't just a shoot em up. Once again I was impressed by Muchamore's ability to add dimension even to the minor characters. The terror of French civilians who were not involved in the fighting is well portrayed - as is the suffering of innocent people caught up in horrible situations. The Gestapo are very much your typical villains, but many of the German soldiers are portrayed as decent people. I like the fact that Muchamore doesn't make every German in a caricature villain.

Robert Muchamore is best known for his CHERUB series. I think his CHERUB books are excellent, and own everyone of them, but the Henderson's Boys series are the books that started me reading Muchamore's books and in my opinion they are his best work. If you have enjoyed the CHERUB series - all the more reason to read this series and find out how CHERUB started. I am most clearly not in Muchamore's target audience, but I feel this series defies titles like "Young Adult". I can see the appeal of this series for teenagers, but I think these stories could appeal just as much to "old adults" such as myself as to youngsters. It isn't often you come across a series with such well developed a characters and an well written plot anymore, Muchamore's work rates among the best fiction of modern times - for children or adults.

I bought my first Muchamore book to see if it would be suitable for my son, age 7. He liked Alex Rider and the Young James Bond so this was a natural choice. The back label does say not suitable for younger readers, and throughout the series there are a few incidents that I feel are a bit mature for a 7 year old child, but the main reason I haven't given this to my son is that I feel the storyline is a bit to. complex to interest him - and at the moment he prefers graphic novels. I think he will get a lot more out of these books in a few years time. Some issues have been made about the language in Muchamore's books - he does use the odd curse word but it is well keeping with the story, and it is not frequent or overdone. There is violence - but I can't imagine a wartime adventure without violence. I find Muchamore's books a very positive influence on young people and would be quite happy for my sons to read them when they are old enough. My son has enjoyed Muchamore's 1st graphic novel and I hope it will be the first of many. Muchamore's books are the type of book to make boys really want to read - and perhaps to learn about history - but their appeal is not limited to the target audience.

If parents do feel any concern about this book appropriateness for their children - I can only say - read it yourself. Not only are you likely to change your mind about your child reading this - but you may well become hooked on the series yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill (Paperback)
I have generally enjoyed the HB series because of the historical detail and the tension of life under the Nazi regime, but the last 2 books, One Shot Kill and Scorched Earth, have been a lot less gripping. Instead of a satisfactorily rounded plot, we have a series of skirmishes with the enemy in which our heroes always triumph whilst displaying increasingly unlikely skill with weapons and explosives. The characters have become generic teens and the constant references to bodily functions and hormonal lusts is irritating in the extreme. We know the author hit on a great wheeze to make the protagonists seem like real teenagers, but that was 18 books ago and it now reads like padding to disguise the lack of plotting

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in the series, 7 Nov 2012
Alex S (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Amother great book by Robert Muchamore - I could hardly put it down. Highly recommended, especially for readers of the CHERUB series, which is kind of linked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, 7 Mar 2014
My 12 year old son started with the Cherub series and when that was finished he romped through the HB series. Bedtime lights out are challenging as he says "but I'm at a good bit" the thing is he's always at a good bit! Thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill (Paperback)
Brilliant book would recommend to anyone especially if you like the second world war and spy agent books.Very good series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series of books, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill (Paperback)
This series of books are great, my son was 11 when he started reading the them and he has really enjoyed them. They are set in the Second World War and based on the adventures of a group of teenagers who are trained as spy's full of adventure and action!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 19 Aug 2013
One shot kill doesn't pack the punch that The Prisoner did, but it's a good edition to the series, and I look forward to reading scorched earth

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 9 Aug 2013
Didn't expect anything less from this book. Must read for fans of the Henderson Boys already, for any newcomers - you should definitely give this one a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill (Paperback)
Great for a 13 year old. He also loves Muchamores Cherub series. Does worry me slightly that he won't let me read them until he's finished the series though.....have read lots of good reviews and the school recommends them.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 27 May 2013
I have been reading the Henderson's boys books for a while but this is one of the best so far!!!

Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill
Henderson`s Boys: One Shot Kill by Robert Muchamore (Paperback - 1 Nov 2012)