5.0 out of 5 stars further adventures of hiccup!
Forget the film and invest in this great series. For long car journeys with children throw away the portable dvd player and put any one of these story cds on.
Published on 1 May 2010 by whoosh

3.0 out of 5 stars Font size cannot be changed - if required please be aware.
I have struggled to get my son reading but after finishing one of the later books in the series he read the book of How to train your Dragon. Today was his birthday and, as one of his presents was a kindle, I thought I would encourage his newly found love of reading and download this, the second in the series.

When he started to read this book he found the...
Published 8 months ago by LEWDU

5.0 out of 5 stars further adventures of hiccup!, 1 May 2010
This review is from: How to be a Pirate (Audio CD)
We have the whole series and all of the stories have been played over and over again and -unlike the film based on the first adventure that Hiccup has - are entirely true to the books. The story itself ( and all in the series) is fantastic for both children and adults alike. However the fact that they are read by the talented David Tennant really does just clinch the deal. The story is read by him in such an engaging way that you will drive round the block to make sure you hear the end. His voices for all the characters are wonderful and seem to encapuslate each individual precisely.
All our family enjoy them from 5-45 male and female.

5.0 out of 5 stars even funnier than How to train your dragon, 5 Sep 2004
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to be a Pirate (Paperback)
Hiccup the Useless and his dragon Toothless are back, trying to learn sword-fighting at sea in the middle of a storm whipped up by Thor on a bad day. Saved from death at the edge of Snotlout's sword by the indomitable Toothless (who bites his enemy's bum when he can be bothered) and from drowning by a mysterious coffin, the Hairy Hooligan tribe are soon hotly pursuing a fabulous treasure hidden by one of Hiccup's ancestors on an island guarded by terrifying monsters. Once again, Hiccup's brains outwit the deep-laid plots of their enemies... The great jokes and insanely funny drawings go deeper than mere gags. This is the story of how a clever boy in a stupid family not only proves his worth as a real hero but makes his stupid father, Stoic the Vast, realise that he loves his son, and is proud of him. One of the most perfect series to get boys hooked on books, it is strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fanstic - recommended for boys who have stopped reading, 29 Sep 2005
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Both the book and the audio of this are great. The adventuires of Hiccup perfect for boys of 6-10 who have stopped reading. The are funny, exciting, touching and written in the kind of vivid language that children understand immediately. Hiccup is a wonderful hero, a kind of Viking nerd despised by his thuggish tribe (including his father Stoic the Vast). Here, the Hooligan tribe get directions to a legendary treasure, guarded by monsters. Only Hiccup, his tiny dragon Toothless and his best friend Fishlegs get it - but they have to get past more monsters and a treacherous farmer first. Read by David Tennant, the new Doctor Who, with huge gusto.

3.0 out of 5 stars Font size cannot be changed - if required please be aware., 6 Jan 2014

When he started to read this book he found the font very small and asked if I could change it - unfortunately the only options were to "zoom" from 150% upwards and this took the font off of the page. We checked the other books I had pre loaded for him (A Terry Pratchett and an Artemis Fowl) and font sizes could be adjusted as usual.

After discussing this via webchat with Amazon this problem would appear to be because the book contains scanned pictures. My son will struggle on and read this small font but please be aware - should you be purchasing this for anyone with a visual impairment that they will be unlikely to be able to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a pirate, 16 Jun 2010
This review is from: How To Be a Pirate (How To Train Your Dragon) (Paperback)
I bought this along with three other books in this series for my just 8 year old grandson. He can't get enough and has deserted his Wii in favour of reading this book. He has read some of it out loud to me and I must say it is a well written and fun book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment for all the family, 13 Dec 2009
C. Gillespie (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to be a Pirate (Audio CD)
This is the first in the Hiccup series and having read all the books that are published at the moment we headed to the CD's and were most delighted with David Tennant's reading - he is superb. I have 3 sons 12, 10 and 8 and all five of us listen to it in the car, totally enthralled - in fact we have been known to sit in the car, having reached our destination, refusing to get out until it has finished! You wont regret buying this audio book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this woman a medal, 22 Mar 2008
This review is from: How to be a Pirate (Paperback)
I can't praise the Hiccup books enough. They have managed to get a reluctant reader thoroughly engaged and excited by books. He (my 8 year old) has read these books over the last couple of years and as he finishes one he's pining for the next. How to be a pirate is as good as the others. Hiccup finds himself being a hero the hard way once again. He's a wonderful character for boys particularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a pirate, 9 May 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: How To Be a Pirate (How To Train Your Dragon) (Paperback)
I finished this book in two days and I loved it. It was so exciting I could not put it down. I have also read some of the other books in the series and I adored them to I hoped the other books will be just as good!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to keep your 10 year old occupied, 15 Jan 2006
Mr. A. W. Gunyon (Wokingham, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
We discovered Cressida Cowell's Viking series by chance, and I have been recommending them to fellow parents ever since. My 10 year old son, a known reluctant reader, has been hooked by all three books (he devoured How to Speak Dragonese in short measure), and the newly acquired CD of 'How to be a pirate' has been on continuous loop since we got it. Its appeal is in its humour which is perfect for the 8-10 year old boy - the examples of Dragonese from this book has us all in fits of giggles however often we hear it. And David Tennant is brilliant. He captures all the characters very well and reads it with such enthusiasm that you can't help but be swept up in it. His interpretation of Toothless is just terrific.
We await the next book in the series with undisguised impatience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awoke our 9 year old's reading, 1 April 2011
Mark Ayliffe (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Be a Pirate (How To Train Your Dragon) (Paperback)
Our 9 year old boy was an willing but unenthusiastic reader until he discovered this series of books. He has now consumed the entire series in under a month. I've been reading with him, so I know he's not skimping and just dipping into them. He knows all the stories well now and was providing a running commentary as we watched the "How train your dragon" DVD recently! Now he's finished them he seems to be keeping up the reading with other books. Well done Ms. Cowell!

How To Be a Pirate (How To Train Your Dragon)
How To Be a Pirate (How To Train Your Dragon) by Cressida Cowell (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)