Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2010
Can't recommend this book highly enough! It's the best children's fiction I've read for a long time. My seven year old boys absolutely love it and so do I - unlike a previous reviewer I think it's perfect for reading aloud and night after night we collapse with laughter. The character of Toothless is fantastic and we're always pleased when he makes an appearance in a chapter. This is top quality, well-written, beautifully illustrated, imaginative children's literature and if you haven't discovered it yet, don't waste any further time! Also worth noting is that the plot is not the same as the film and in my opinion although the film was good, the books are much, much better.
on 10 August 2007
This is a really good book and I recommend this to anyone!
I have just finished reading this book and it's great! I love it!!
I highly recomened this book to children from 9-13 years old. Ms.Cowell is an extremly talented author and definatley five stars! She has woven this book so well - a stroy for the family!
on 21 April 2004
I'm half-way through reading this aloud to my 6 year old boy. We both love it. There's a strong plot line, lots of gory-ness (but not too much) and a challenging use of words. I'm completely tired of the 'Horrid Henry' type books, with the familiar plot-lines about naughty kids, lack of imagination and dull language, and this shines in contrast. My kid isn't yet ready for the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe or the Edward Eager books, but this satisfies us both.
on 12 August 2013
I don't know why the bit about the film is in the brackets as this book IS NOTHING LIKE THE FILM. This book and in fact all the books are brilliant. There is so much humour in it for both kids and adults. I found that the kids didn't have to ask for "just one more chapter" as i could barely out the book down myself. I'd watched the film before hand so it did take some getting used to the differences. Toothless does endear himself as the story progresses. He is not some glorified puppy as in the film. He is a dragon after all.
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third lives on the Isle of Berk, is the son of the chief, Stoick the Vast, and isn’t much of a hero… yet. Beginning the Dragon Initiation Programme, Hiccup captures a dragon who he names Toothless, because of the creature’s lack of teeth. Toothless grows stubborn and difficult to train, and Hiccup soon loses hope of passing the final test of the Dragon Initiation Programme, leading to being thrown out of the Hairy Hooligan Tribe for good. But when a dragon the size of a mountain washes up on the shores of Berk, it’s up to Hiccup to save his village….

What a fun and thrilling story, packed with jokes. How To Train Your Dragon is the first of Hiccup’s many adventures and it’s an enjoyable tale that is highly recommended for children. The book couldn’t be more different to the film, if you’ve seen it; it’s a whole new plot, just with the same characters. But I like how they are SO different because it creates two wonderful stories with the same awesome characters. This novel will go down in Viking history….
on 23 June 2010
This book tells the story of a boy called Hiccup. But he is not good because he just doesn't do what he is told. He goes to kill a dragon and sometimes he needs help to get away so that he doesn't get eaten.
My friend enjoyed it because it was just just just a really funny book and he couldn't put it down. He laughed at it all the time.
I liked it because there were funny parts in the book. I could not put the book down so I kept on reading this funny book.
on 27 December 2015
If you watched the film first (great film, huge fan) I would suggest completely forgetting about it before reading this, as you then won't spend a good bit of time trying to find the similarities. There are none.

This book has everything a children's story needs. Highs and lows, suspense and underdog heroes. Thoroughly enjoyable read for all ages.
on 21 April 2015
Best book ever!!!!!
I couldn't put it down. It even has pictures. I read it thinking it would be like the movie but instead of hiccup starting dragon training it was someone else. It also has the Green Death and The purple death instead of the red death. It is really funny and I am totally reading the other books in the series
on 28 December 2007
Great reading for boys. Funny and gross, lots of snot, burps etc, as I said great for boys. Hiccup is a wonderful character, not the popular kid by a long shot, the misfit who gets into all kinds of trouble and adventures. We've read them all now and I must also recommend the audio version which is wonderful for long car journeys.
on 3 January 2014
Started reading these with my now 7 year old son after watching the film. Absolutely love them! He loves the exciting story, as do I but I also love the morals of the story, doing heroic deeds the hard way against all odds, creating a better world, using brain instead of brain and so on.