5.0 out of 5 stars Night World
How strange that readers can have the complete opposite experience. I loved this book, so much so I immediately bought the 2nd one.

It's three short stories in one book, but all the characters are connected, and I loved the idea of the night world. Personally I thought 'it was' cleverly written.

Don't expect blood and gore though, they are more...
Published on 30 Jun. 2009 by Mrs. Anne J. Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars Very underwhelming.
I really enjoyed The Vampire Diaries so started this book with high expectations, but became very disappointed. I kept expecting for the plot to twist and turn into something more interesting, but it never did, it was really predictable. It may be that this is the foundation to the rest of the series, but I`m not sure I care about reading the rest.
Published on 12 July 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The workings of 'True love'!, 18 May 2009
Ms. Re Weaver "Princess Moon" (N. Yorks) - See all my reviews
When i first read-up on the book 'Night World' i had mixed opinions. 1. I had just finnished reading the Twilight Saga books including Midnight Sun and was feeling kind of hollow. I wanted to read something to take away the edge and was recomended to try this. There were lots of other books that i had tryed before-hand that were also vampire books e.g. 'Marked' and 'Touch the Darkness' but i'm not ashamed to say that they were both pretty rubbish, so i had low hopes for this book when i first bought it.

But hay, i have to say that Night World is in a world of it's own! i realised that although they were really three short Novellas rather then novels and were a little too short, the story never seems to acturally stop completely, as they are all intertwined into one another. I found the second and even third just as gripping as the first. There was a comment on this website that refured to the stories as for children, rather then teens and in one way i'd have to agree, as there wasn't many kiss scenes and the one right near the end of Secret vampire was sort of faded out... A little disappointing but not really an issue, as she's developed the consept of forbidden love consistently throughout which will make you want to devoir the book intirely!!

The romance is so beautiful and definded within each character that its hard not to love James's compashion, Ashes heart-ach (too cute!) and Eric's shyness. This is a book for those who love romance as much as i do and will love adorable vamparic boys who try (and fail) to fight fate. A must read! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 15 Oct. 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Poppy North is a typical sixteen-year old--she gets through school by being smarter than her teachers; likes to irritate her straight-laced twin brother, Phil; listens to New Age and techno music; has a secret crush on her best friend, James; and wakes up on the first morning of summer vacation before her senior year of high-school with nothing more paramount on her mind than what she can do with an entire summer spent with James.

Until the pain in her abdomen, which has steadily been increasing, working its way around to her back, keeping her awake at night, and causing her to lose weight, sends her to the doctor. Who then sends her to the hospital for tests. Where doctors then inform her that she has pancreatic cancer--the kind that will kill you within three weeks to three months.

Poppy, of course, isn't ready to die. Watching the reaction of her family--twin brother Phil, her mother, and step-father Cliff--only brings the truth closer to home. Poppy is going to die, there's nothing anyone can do about it, and it's going to be painful.

Except there is someone who can do something about it. James Rasmussen, her best friend from El Camino High School, her secret crush, a boy who now tells her something impossible--he's a lamia, a boy who was born a vampire, a member of the Night World, and he can change Poppy into a vampire to avoid certain death.

Of course Poppy doesn't believe him at first, but then what choice does she have? There's always been something different about James, and now she knows exactly what the difference is. So she agrees to become a vampire, knowing she'll have to leave her family behind, but knowing it's the only way to avoid certain death.

What follows is a fast-moving, interesting story about Poppy's immersion into becoming a vampire, the toll it takes on her brother, Phil, who finds out what they're doing, and the danger it puts James in. Because there are only two rules of the Night World: Never let the humans know it exists, and never fall in love with one of them. James has broken both of those rules.

What a great start to the Night World series! Towards the end of the book we meet some other interesting characters, which I'm guessing will play major roles in future books, so I can't wait to get started on the next read.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of stories about forbidden love, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Night World: 1: Secret Vampire (Paperback)
The first thing I loved about these books are how some of the characters in each story are linked to one another-great for getting to know the characters more.

First book was about Poppy who finds out she has a terminal illness and her best friend might just be able to save her by risking his own life. Found this one to be aimed more at younger readers by the style of the writing but the issues of terminal illness were more suited to an older target audience I think personally.

My favourite had to be the second, Daughters of Darkness without a doubt-just loved bad boy Ash (funny because I hated him in story one!), this is what made me rate this book 5*. I didn't want this story to end-I hope we find out more in one of the other bind ups.

Enchantress, the third book was a nice change from vampires by replacing them with witches but I just didn't feel much between Thea and Eric and I felt like L.J Smith didn't build up their feelings or Eric's character enough.

Overall, still doesn't beat my favourite books which up to now are the twilight saga-they just don't have the depth like Twilight does, but I did love Daughters of Darkness. I'd say each of the books are aimed at a mix of different ages, from about 13 for Secret Vampire (style of writing but not the issues) to a bit older for the other two stories. None of them are typically 'adult' reading but I'm 26 and I did enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars L.J.. Smith...Long Overdue!, 27 Aug. 2008
I. Attah (London) - See all my reviews
I remember reading this amazing womans books when i was younger. I would curl up and literally speed read my way through this nightworld series.

Secret Vampire, the first (and arguably best) of the series. A girl (Poppy) who finds out she is dying finds out that her best friend (James) is a vampire. Thus ensues a love story and an insight into the fascinating world that L.J. Smith has created about vampires.

Unlike a series of books that I recently (and unfortunatly) read (Twilight:bad writing, caracterizations-i hated bella etc.), These books create a world of substance, there is a background story to each of the characters...and you can't help but wish that you were a part of their world. Thats what a great author inspires in her readers, the desire to want to fully immerse yourself in the world that she has created.

I loved these books, I had the originals so long ago, the pages are now yellow! So im going to re-buy these and re-read them and remember how they made me feel when i was 14 (and im 22 now!)

Thank you L.J Smith, now hurry up and write Strange Fate, its been a 10 year wait...but im still excited!

5.0 out of 5 stars Night World, 7 Sept. 2008
I got my parents to buy me this book for my birthday after reading the Stephanie Meyer books. This book was waaaaaay better and i liked how it was like 3 little books in 1. The 2nd story was my favourite because it had the most romance :D :D. I'd definatley recommend it to anyone who thought the Twilight Saga books were ok-ish/good because they look really bad after reading this.

L.Sidebotham

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying read, 7 Jan. 2010
Emily Ruth (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night World: 1: Secret Vampire (Paperback)
This volume contains the first three novels of the Night World series: Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness & Enchantress.

The target audience for these books is teenagers, or young adults, but this doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy them too. A couple of chapters into the first novel & I was totally hooked. They're really easy reading too which meant I finished the entire book in a couple of days.

In my opinion the Night World books aren't quite as good as the Twilight saga, but they are still very enjoyable. They're definitely satisfying if you're looking for post Twilight reading. It's also perhaps worth noting that the Night World novels were written before the Twilight saga & that although they do contain Vampires they're sufficiently different from the Twilight books that if you didn't enjoy Twilight you still might enjoy these!

If you enjoy romance with a bit of a twist then these books are probably your cup of tea!

5.0 out of 5 stars only one word... fantastic, 5 Jan. 2010
Ms. S. L. Wilson "saralou" (newcastle upon tyne) - See all my reviews
i have read these books so many times that they are actually falling a part! i am re-ordering them and i have pre-ordered Strange Fate (for the 3rd time) and hope that it actually gets released!! it is long overdue.

I started reading these books over 10 yeasr ago when they first came out (i'm 22 now) and i must say, they are still my favorite books perfect to read when you want to 'get away from it all' and lose yourself.

for those who like Twilight, i will say that these books are similar but in my honest opinion, 1000x better. less whiney and more engaging, far better written and more entertaining. they are also more complex and less centered around a central character. there is a character for everyone and to be honest, i dont know who my favorite is!

i hope and pray that Strange Fate will be released this year. i am desperate to read it!!

these books are fantastic and i would recommend them to anyone. Highly addictive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 17 Aug. 2009
Jen "Page turner" (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I loved these books!

The stories are very well done, and the fact that theyare all different, but still related, it's great. As soon as I started reading I couldn't put them down, about to go onto read the third volume, can't wait.

This genre of books is a really good one, I have many of vampire and supernatural related fictions and they always keep me hooked.

Definately recommend them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very underwhelming., 12 July 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars very good, 5 Feb. 2010
Thinker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Night World: 1: Secret Vampire (Paperback)
I am an adult reading this teenage fiction and it is a good read, if you like twilight etc, you will like the genre type stories but it reads a lot easier and bigger print than twilight so not as good to me, having said that is was exciting and value for money and i will probably in time get the other books in the series, i can see why it has been popular a long time.
For those wondering about content - it has a similar level of gore to twilight i would say. The stories are very variable but all based around romance. No mills and boon these though! quite scary bits.
I was glad i bought it though and it has given lots of reading hours to me!
With the large print please remember it is about 600 pages long containing 3 stories so good value.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Night World: 1: Secret Vampire
Night World: 1: Secret Vampire by L J Smith (Paperback - 7 May 2009)