5.0 out of 5 stars Finding true success in the business world
This is a book to read and re-read. It presents a profound and relevant message in the form of stories that speak both to the intellect and the heart. Everyone will read it differently, but as the blurb says, it is important that everyone considers the key issues it discusses -- "What does success mean in the modern world?"
For me, the overall thrust was...
Published on 7 Feb. 2002 by john.evans@oecd.org

3.0 out of 5 stars new definitions of success
What actually is success? Parsons quite rightly draws attention to the questionable relentless pursuit for corporate success at the expense of everything else (especially if you don't really like your job that much - all too common), and makes the reader ask themselves some tough questions. The outcome can only be to the good. If after reading you find yourself thinking...
Published on 25 Sept. 2002 by Adrian George

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding true success in the business world, 7 Feb. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
For me, the overall thrust was similar to one of the themes of Peter Senge's "Fifth Discipline". Parsons is advocating a conscious decision to consider what one's life goals really are, and to seek them determinedly, using all the resources we have, most importantly our time. In doing this we have to understand that all of the different parts of our lives are interwoven with each other and strive for the best possible relationship between them.
Of course, we all tend to put our best efforts in the areas of life which give the biggest reward in the short-term. Why wouldn't we, when that is how we have been trained to think? But in our key relationships, as opposed to our jobs, it doesn't work that way. For example, as Parsons says in the book, the time for getting to know our children as children is very limited. Once it is gone, it is gone for ever.
Heart of Success is based on seven laws, each of which is illustrated by telling examples drawn from Rob Parsons' own impressive business career or his own life. There are some very funny stories -- many had me laughing out loud. The style is light and engaging and it is a quick and easy read.
My favourite law is the one that says, 'Don't settle for success: strive for significance!' The message is that we can change our future if we want to, but we have to think hard about the way we want to go, and we have to begin today. Quite frankly, this little book is a good stopping-place on our journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for harmonizing work/life goals successfully, 29 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
An important book challenging the corporate world & its pursuants to review their values in the light of life's highest but most often neglected goals.
What those goals will be may well differ between particular individuals & corporations. But Parsons argues inspiringly & persuasively for making choices which result in legacies beyond success - namely significance.
Although personally startled and shaken by the book to re-assess some central planks driving my own professional career in self-employment, the rewards are already beginning to outweigh the discomfort resulting from some sobering modifications to the ways I think about my working life. And this book makes it clear why such tough decisions need to be made at the expense of the more traditional 'rat-race' lifestyle.
Easily digested, yet highly provocative, motivational and coming from outside-the-box, this is quite possibly a life-changing work which every executive, worker, manager, owner & career-driven employee should strongly consider reading today, not tomorrow.
Life's bigger than business; this book can help the reader to make sure they never lose sight of it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob Parson's excellent book reveals the paradox of success., 24 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
This is more than just an excellent management text book. The book helps individuals and organisations to understand why both work and life outside work are interdependent rather than mutually exclusive.
History will show this book is in tune with the changing values and attitudes of our culture at the start of the 21st century. Rob Parsons name will be added to the management reading lists alongside the more familiar names of Tom Peters and Charles Handy.
Rob's clever use of anecdotes makes it impossible for us not to reflect upon our own lives and what success really means. For example Rob quotes the story of the young boy who asks his mother:
"Why does my father come home later than all the other kids' dads?"
His mother said, "Well because he can't finish all his work in the normal time."
The child paused for a moment and said, "Why don't they put him in a slower class?"
It is very true that today's paupers are "money rich and time poor". Rob's book helps us all to put our work into the context of our lives whereas I am one of many who have in the past had difficulty putting my work into the context of my life...

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting in holding up a plumb-line to your 'success'?, 26 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
"Listening to Rob Parsons speak is like having a mirror held up to your life" - you see it like it really is and you wonder if it is, in fact, as successful as you'd like to think. This is a quote taken from a delegate at a Heart of Success seminar last November. This book is a great taster for these business seminars which aim to make delegates rethink their lives, priorities, commitments etc without ditching the genuinely important ingredients.
Parsons, the great storyteller, uses an easy narrative style to present the distilled wisdom gained from two decades rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous, the professional and business elite.
Countless anecdotes are weaved into seven distinct but related themes. He urges us not to become money rich but time poor (the time pauper is that sad person with two homes who lives at the office.) He stresses the importance of doing 'a job worth getting out of bed for' - he is all for career success as long as you're not paying too high a price in other areas. Finding your 'Factor X' is another strand - are you training people to do a job they will be lousy at? He invites his readers to dream big and not lose sight of the end goals by getting caught up in the means. Fifthly, and perhaps one of the hardest issues to grapple with in a practical way he describes the trap we can fall into of never seeing the family because we are so busy trying to provide for them. The scope for self-deception is huge if a workaholic tendency is fuelled by the perceived need to guarantee a high standard of living for you and yours. Laws six and seven deal with the need to keep the common touch and yet strive for significance. Many outwardly successful careers provide the cover for lonely and frustrated people who instinctively know that there has to be more to life.
Parsons will be accused of being naive and the elements of his company charter dismissed as unworkable. However the book has been endorsed by a score of high-flyers in business and academia and the author is not untested in the profitable management stakes himself. I would recommend this book not only to hardworking fathers and mothers, but also to successful singles. Regardless of their personal circumstances it is a useful 'manual' for HR personnel and line managers but it offers a vital reality check for CEOs as many have testified. Anyone I have lent this book too has been profoundly altered by reading its message. They kind of nod their heads quietly when you ask them if it was helpful. They give it back to you the next day because they stayed up for ages last night to finish it. Hugely readable, highly relevant. This is a book worth staying in bed for!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book for anyone from top executives to students, 7 April 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
A very close friend of mine gave me this book recently. Its not too long, you could read it in a night if you really tried, but it doesn't waffle on. Its straight to the point. This book really is something special. It tells you how live a successful life, and how to run (sort of) a successful company. The book doesn't say anything on starting a company and making it profitable, (if thats what you want dont get it) it focuses on the true values of life and how many people ignore them. Its not what you do, its who you are that matters. Rob Parsons writes of how ones family is often ignored, as you put your work first, but the book brings it all into perspective. I have first hand experience at pretending your family don't exist and that your kids football match would be good to go to, but you're either never there, or are on the mobile if you actually do turn up. Time is running out for parents with young kids, and the book mainly focuses on the aspect of having a good family and ALWAYS putting them before all else. It also looks at how CEO's can often be ignorant (sometimes true), how to change that, aswell as how to get the best from your employees.
If you are considering getting this book, please do. It is not rubbish and the contents are essential for one to run a good and successful life. If you're not a business man, buy it anyway, as all of the theories apply to any walk of life.
This book certainly changed my life for the better and i would tell everyone to get it if i could.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for people combining family life with work, 11 Jun. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
I think Rob Parsons really captures your attention with a book that has so much life changing information yet is easy to read. For someone that has to work everyday for a living He really makes you sit down and think about the cost of driving yourself so hard to be materially successful. I believe it is a must for any business person particularly those with families. I personally thank Rob for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great suggestions for reordering the work/life balance, 4 Mar. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
I do not know if I was merely in the right mood or whether this book is unusually perceptive in picking up the underlying worries of many of us in the world of business as we try to sort out the various challenges between our work and family lives. Rob Parsons grasps the nature of the sea change among many of our younger and middle-aged colleagues as they are trying to look beyond the mere goal of "he who has the most toys wins" to really having a healthy, beneficial and significant life. While the author does not advocate abandoning the need to do the necessary work required to get "necessary" work accomplished, he does point out the folly of working just to work and the problematic habit of such a behavior to ones personal health and well-being, as well as to all of those around us.
I strongly suggest that this book be read by anyone who questions "is that all?" and even more by those who have not yet encountered that question in their thought processes. It is a good and thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Potentially a life changer, 26 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
The subtitle caught my eye as I was looking for something stimulating to read, and divert me from working too much on a business-related rail journey. I had risen early, had a drive to the station, and would not get back to my family until well through the evening.
This book filled both outward and return journeys with provocative and really helpful ideas as to how I might readjust the balance of my life, and help those around me at work. Many times I had to stop and think - the words and examples hit home - the positive examples were for me often quite moving. The presentation style is a clever mixture of a story, descriptive text with many real life examples, and challenging and practical "executive summaries" at the end of each chapter.
I have already recommended this book to some colleagues at work, and taken at one positive action for myself to redress a balance issue. There is much more to do - Rob Parsons shows by example what can be done.
I commend this to anyone who feels that there is more to be had from life, both at home and at work - here are some simple but deep messages that could change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're too busy to read a book then you need to read this, 3 Dec. 2003
Rob Parsons is excellent at bringing the things that matter most to the fore. This book is an excellent read and is a reminder that there is no use in being succesful if relationships are left behind. Like the KitKat advert says, 'No ones last words were I wish I'd spent longer at work'.
Since reading this I have been putting the people who matter most first in my life. My work has not suffered and I now feel more contented than I did before. If you find work is ruling you then it is time to get a grip on the situation and retake control of your life. No job is worth the personal sacrifices that a lot of people are putting into them.
Buy this book and get a life back.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class!, 6 Sept. 2002
D. J. Partridge "david63720" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heart of Success (Paperback)
I agree with all other reviews - a simply excellent management book, putting many of my thoughts into words and switching on one or two lights too!
Rob Parsons writing style to easy to take in and very enjoyable to read. I would also compliment the publisher on the style of text, which went a long way to make the book very appealing at first sight.
My only small hang-up is that Rob Parsons does not (really) address or warn against the potential problems to businesses if the commitment to work / family is not right :- Sometimes we need to miss our children's football games when a big deal is in the ballance - jobs sometimes depend on winning tenders!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›