5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Important Book, 19 Jun 2011
I enjoyed reading Brian McLaren's "Naked Spirituality". I also enjoyed reading "A New Kind Of Christianity". Actually, the two books compliment each other. In "A New Kind Of Christianity" he shares his concepts of Christianity and Dogma and the need for change inorder to meet the challenges of the modern world. In "Naked Spirituality" he shares with us his spiritual consciousness and the ways he has changed through the years. He tells us of his high and low points in his spiritul experiences and how the ever changing realities of life has impacted his walk of faith. Although he uses 12 simple words to describe a life with God, he makes it crystal clear that it's not really so simple after all. These simple words that he uses are guideposts or road markers along the way that can help us get our bearings. He shows us that there are "seasons" in ones spiritual life, and each season has it's own unique atmosphere as it unfolds. In effect he is saying, you can't jump from Summer to Spring, you must pass first through Fall and Winter. Regarding our spiritual progression he says, "We must celebrate the rich heritage of our religious traditions, but those traditions are now the foundation on which we build ,not the ceiling under which we are trapped". As he speaks of listening as we wait before God, he says "Let God be God to You". I take that to mean, He is different in the way He expresses Himself to each of us, according to our individual needs and circumstances, as well as our capacities to understand. He also says "you are loved nakedly, and grace is the warm blanket that enfolds you" pg,232. Brian has done a great service to the church, and Christianity at large in the writing of this book. He has beared his heart to us, and I hope thousands of people read this book. Thurman L Faison, Author "To The Spiritually Inclined"

5.0 out of 5 stars Nakes Spirituality: Superb!, 13 April 2011
I really enjoy Brian McClaren's writing style and this very personal book about developing a life of prayer in 12 simple words is absolutely excellent. Easy to read, thought-provoking, spiritually uplifting and intensely practical.... I highly recommend it and all his other works. Amazing how God can use people to help others grow in their discipleship!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!, 21 Jun 2011
This is an amazing book! It is so easy to read compared to other books I have read which you can feel a bit bogged down with. Each word is covered in two chapters so you can either take a chapter a day or a word a day! The message is clear and one one which you wont forget if you go through the twelve simple words through the four seasons of spiritual growth. A brillant book to use for a small group or group devotionals over twelve weeks with hints at the back as to how to structure it. Defenitely a book I will keep coming back to as I try to apply those twelve words in prayer and in my life. Buy it now!!! You won't be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the most useful Christian book I've read., 9 July 2014
Pippin - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in Twelve Simple Words (Paperback)
Easily the most useful Christian book I've read. And I've read a lot. I guess it depends where you're at how helpful it is (though it's meant to work at any point ,being based on stages or a cycle of someone's dealings with god). For me, well for a couple of years I've been using a lectionary to pray (the Common prayer for ordinary radicals one - v popular as I guess I'm not the only one to feel the need) because I got to a point where I couldn't do it otherwise. Not that I didn't pray, or want to pray, just had a block when it came to the words. I suppose I'd got allergic to christian jargon, got fed up of pretending stuff, and really, what do you say? So old prayers, pictures worked, imagination, doing stuff like walking a labyrinth... But anyway this book turned out to be exactly right for giving a one-word hook for the stuff you need to do with God (spiritual disciplines). It offers a minimal, simple, clear structure to help negotiate something that's massively complicated and hard to understand, but without being at all formulaic or reductive. I really like his tentative-ness, being really clear that he doesn't have the answers but this might help. Any more certainty and I'd have stopped reading. it doesn't make you feel bad about not doing stuff, but kind of puts a name and a few useful words to what you are doing, or wanting to do, anyway. The first part, 'here' is awesome. I suppose I must be at a back-at-the-start stage of life because I've only really internalised the first three things (there are four 'stages' with three three things each) though I read the whole book. But those three things, or words, have become part of what do, really helped, so i'd say give this a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked Spirituality, 23 Jan 2012
It was suggested that Brian McLaren's "Naked Spirituality" could be right up my street - the suggestion was correct! This book (amongst others by such people as Richard Rohr whom McLaren mentions at times) has helped me to gain a deeper understanding of God, one that gives a slightly different slant on things, without losing the core message of Christianity. Well worth reading indeed - in fact, I bought a few copies to pass onto friends as Christmas presents :)

4.0 out of 5 stars 'sanctuary', 28 Oct 2011
I found this book helpful, challenging and thought provoking. It has made me consider how we worship God, complicate faith and hinder our connection with our Father. Let us consider our relationship with God as a child would, without the restrictions and trappings that are man made. This book may not 'sit comfortable' for some, but you will certainly think about your own faith and spirituality after reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked Spirituality - A new classic, 29 Sep 2011
This book describes various aspects of the devotional life, as both personally experienced by Brian McLaren and how the reader can develop their own spiritual life. The use of 12 spiritual words is simple to understand, described in beautiful, profound language and inspired insights.

I found Brian kept making connections which I have often felt but haven't necessarily had the words to express. This is a very helpful book which is already starting to revolutionise my devotional life.

This the best devotional book I have ever read. For me, it is a classic. I hope it becomes a classic for many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 27 Jan 2014
Anyone interested in moving on in their faith. VEry easy to read. Must have an open mind and be aware of theri own predujices

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 2 Nov 2013
Excellent - worth a read. McLaren has done it again. An excellent resource book - to dip into, go back to, or read all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational, 14 Sep 2013
As an almost 60 year old from an evangelical background, I have read plenty of so-called "Christian" books. Many of them are rubbish, some are mediocre, a few are transformational. "Naked Spirituality" is one of the few, directing us to honesty in our hearts with ourselves and before the God who "desires truth in the inmost parts".

Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in Twelve Simple Words
Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in Twelve Simple Words by Brian D. Mclaren (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
9.99