5.0 out of 5 stars Mexican Food Made Simple
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by Paulette

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but expensive and not so simple!
Published 21 months ago by Mais

5.0 out of 5 stars Mexican Food Made Simple, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
I got this book after watching a couple of episodes that the book is based on. It's absolutely smashing, I didn't realise Mexican food could be prepared so simply and healthy. A lot of the food is prepared in a dry pan, so none of the food is oily or greasy. I am working my way through the book steadily and the family love everything I have made to date. I haven't encountered any problems getting any of the ingredients, if there is something I can't obtain locally I can get the ingredients on line. So every recipe is possible to make. There is a list in the back of the book of suppliers.

Well illustrated and no airs or graces, an excellent set of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, incredible recipes....., 24 May 2010
Adam Millward "Fabfoodie" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
Ordered this on a whim, and im so pleased I did.

Tommie makes everything sound incredible, but she has also made everything as anglo-friendly as she can, knowing that authenticity is useless if the ingredients cant be found. OK, so im struggling to get some of the ingredients locally, but there is a handy guide to local, national and web retailers we can use.

She has really helpful guides to how to assemble burritos, quesidillas etc, has the most mind blowingly fantastic chile con carne recipe, shows how to make simple, no-fuss salsas and guacamole, has idiot proof guides to making fantastic margaritas, and all in all has me hooked on mexican cuisine.

This book is on rotation between my living room and kitchen as I plan and cook my way through it. It makes you realise the tex-mex dinner kits and sauce sachets have left us all ignorant for how intricate and delicious this food truly is.

Practical, brilliantly written and intoxicating, this is a book that will be used, not just another shelf filler. I couldn't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
This book has been the reliable over and over again, we've done nearly all recipes. even when you dont think a recipe is going to be amazing it manages to be, she really knows how to put dishes together. Mexican food made simple 2 now please Tomisina

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes but expensive and not so simple!, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
As I love Mexican food and love Wahaca (the author's chain of Mexican restaurants) I decided to put this book on my Christmas wish list. The recipes look and sound amazing, so I was really excited to try the book out. I intended to make several dishes from the book this week, however when I wrote down all the necessary ingredients I realised how expensive it would be - the recipes aren't designed for everyday cooking. I decided to make just one dish, the spinach & ricotta enchiladas. What I thought would be a short process ended up taking close to two hours (the book recommends that you make your own tomato sauce) and some of the instructions weren't very clear for a beginner chef like me - though I'm sure it would be fine if you're more experienced. Despite following the recipe as best I could, the tomato sauce did not turn out well and so I ended up using store bought pasta sauce for the enchiladas. The final product was pretty tasty, and I'm sure the other recipes are delicious if you know how to make them. However for a beginner chef on a tight budget, this book might not be the best option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple is a relative term, 1 Sep 2013
Nicholas V. Dowling "Nick Dowling" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
I've made quite a few of the recipes from this book, and all have turned out well. For most I would recommend that you have a food processor - Mexicans may well be willing to spend hours grinding and chopping ingredients, but I'm afraid I have other things to do. The author gives alternatives for most of the specialist ingredients, but you will find it hard to make a lot of these recipes without some chipotle. The book lists a selection of specialist sources for ingredients and I paid a visit to Casa Mexico in Bethnal Green to stock up - but next time I will probably order my stash of chillies by mail. Other items that used to be specialist a few years ago, like cooking chorizo, are available in most big supermarkets.

Simple is a relative term. Some of the recipes are quite involved and involve a lot of ingredients, but the explanations are clear and easy to follow. But don't expect to knock out Mexican meatballs or chile in half an hour after work.

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible, delicious food, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
Until now I have always felt daunted by the idea of Mexican food. I want the food I cook to be authentic and true to the original as possible and all those complicated moles needing hours of preparation and ingredients that are not available to me have rather put me off trying. So Thomasina Miers' recipes are a revelation to me - they capture the essence of Mexican cooking with accessible ingredients and none of the fuss.

There are recipes for moles but with names like An Easy-Peasy Peanut Mole the fear factor has gone! There is an excellent introductory section to help you appreciate the various flavours of Mexican food and show you what ingredients are needed to get started.

Then follow all the delicious dishes such as Sweet and Spicy Squash and Chickpea Soup, A Classic Guacamole, heaps of variations on the tortilla, burrito, taco clan, Grilled Food Soul Food(the Great Mexican Breakfast), salsas and so on.

All the dishes have a light, fresh, very- of- the- moment flavour, irresistably must make now. An enticing, timely book, destined to be well-thumbed and decorated with kitchen splashes- the sign of an excellent cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Mar 2010
JuliaBalbilla (Winchcombe, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
This book has excellent photography and the recipes are clearly laid out. It starts with an introduction to Mexican food, as well as listing the basic ingredients. Then the chapters are as follows:

Salsas, sauces and relishes, eg.Smoky tomato sauce
Nibbles and side dishes, eg. Smoky grilled corn cob
Soups, eg. Tortilla soup
Salads, eg. Hot chorizo salad with butternut squash and baby tomatoes
Street food, eg. Smoked mackeral tostadas
Cheesy things, eg. Deep-fried black bean quesadillas
Slow-cooked main courses, eg. Tamarind and chilli-infused belly of pork
From the grill, eg. Grilled lamb chops with chilli jam
Soul food, eg. The great Mexican breakfast
Puddings, eg. Chilled Mexican rice pudding
Drinks, eg, Vampire juice

There is also a suppliers list. This book would suit vegetarians and carnivores alike as there is a good and interesting mix of recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but takes a while to get used to, 14 May 2010
K. Macgregor "kjm107" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
Thomasina Miers put a lot of effort into this book and it has paid off. Lovely recipes, especially the salsas, but many of the ingredients are hard to get and it's tough to work out what to substitute them with. It's not made for quick and easy meals either which is what I was hoping to get from a book that advertises it as "made simple".

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, but watch the salt., 31 July 2011
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
I would have liked to have given this book 5 stars. The recipes are really easy to follow, and the refried beans are heavenly, but whatever you do, watch the salt quantities. I made the Fresh tomato salsa and the Guacamole to go with a meal and wow... Both of them were inedible due to the amount of salt. Now I am not one of those people paranoid about my salt intake, but honestly I could feel my blood pressure going up with my first mouthful. The fresh tomato salsa has 1 tablespoon of sea salt to 8 tomatoes, the classic guacamole tasted even worse, at 1-2 teaspoons the salt completely overpowered the lovely creamy avocado. It was all consigned to the bin. Maybe the quantities are a mistake, but after going back and looking through some of the other salsa recipes I am not so sure. The searingly hot salsa has two teaspoons, the sweetcorn and black bean salsa calls for "a few teaspoons" of sea salt!!! If you are going to buy this book please, salt to taste rather than follow the recipe exactly or you'll end up wasting a lot of food and money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, yummy food!, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Mexican Food Made Simple (Hardcover)
I've always loved Mexican food so wanted to try making some myself and this book seemed one of the most accessible out there. The recipies I've tried so far have all been delicious and loved by everyone whose eaten them, my fave is the guacomole, so much better than shop bought ones and so easy!

OK,they might not always be the most common of ingredients but there is a list in the book of suppliers where i've been able to get all the things I couldn't get at the supermarket easily and I have found that some supermarkets, for me, Tescos, are starting to stock more "exotic" ingredients such as several of the types of chilli used.

The instructions in the recipies are all easy to follow and the general information in the book is also interesting often with really nice pictures. I think the only downside is that some of the recipies do take quite a while to cook, not quick food but very tasty none the less!

Mexican Food Made Simple
Mexican Food Made Simple by Thomasina Miers (Hardcover - 4 Mar 2010)