5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and Powerful
From the moment that I began reading this riveting book, my emotions were on a roller coaster following this childs life. I was so sad for the little girl/child and felt such corage at the woman she became.
Only one other book that I had read, NIGHTMARES ECHO (Katlyn Stewart) ever made me feel such an emotional feel as this book did.
I think this is a must read...
Published on 15 Jan 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware
Barrister Constance Briscoe has been found guilty of lying to police probing former cabinet minister Chris Huhne's speeding points case.

In 2006 she published the book Ugly, which tells the story of a childhood marred by extreme mental and physical abuse.

Published 2 months ago by ANGEL INTERCEPTOR

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Ugly (Kindle Edition)

Two years later her mother Carmen sued and lost a costly libel case - she has always disputed the allegations of abuse.

It has now emerged that police are investigating whether documents presented in that case were falsified. A doctor whose signature appears on some of the letters says he only wrote two of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ugly (Paperback)
Not a book I would read again,found that a lot of things did not add up, but still had to read it until the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and Powerful, 15 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
I think this is a must read for all schools,libraries and mental health centers. But more than this, I think everyone will find strength,determination and courage in the words of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Liar, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Ugly (Kindle Edition)
Briscoe is a liar - proven and convicted. It's as simple as that.

Her 2008 libel victory over her mother will almost certainly be overturned in the light of new evidence that the BBC has uncovered.

Why is this material still on sale?

4.0 out of 5 stars Ugly, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Ugly (Paperback)
I had heard about this book and heard people discussing the court case and felt that I had to read this story. I could not believe that any parent, particularly a mother, could treat her child in this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-stop reader, 21 Jan 2006
J. Odeje "Honey Child" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
From the moment I started reading this book I could not put it down. I read it in less that 24 hours. I felt so sorry for the main character and just felt that I wanted the answers she did not get from her mother. I wish there was some way I could contact her to see if she ever found out why her mother was so evil. I am a primary school teacher and have retold the story to my class and they want to read the book! It is very powerful and I think it would make an excellent film. Well done Constance! I applaud you.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the hardest accounts of child abuse I have read, 5 April 2006
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
Having seen the controversy surrounding this book in recent media stories, and being an Author, I felt intrigued to purchase this book and read it for myself. I have never read another book like it. I have read many accounts of child abuse from Dave Pelzer, to Julie Gregory and Kevin Lewis and out of all of them I found this book one of the hardest to read. Having been on the receiving end of child abuse myself, I found this book a tough read. It seems to me that Constance has cut herself off emotionally from her family - understandably, and while reading the book, this mental and emotional detachment is obvious. To me, she is an inspiration, and an amazing woman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fabricated?, 23 April 2011
Unabryn "Una" (Herefordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am currently on Chapter 6 of the book and have already found parts of the story hard to believe. Would her mother have really tried to convince her husband that she "forgot" to tell him she had had twins especially after he had seen only one baby on the previous visit to his wife. Also Constance states that Mistress Williams gave her mother twenty-five shillings and a family allowance book. The baby was born in 1962 and it wasn't until 1977 that family allowance was paid for the first child. Up to that time, family allowance was only paid to the second, and subsequent children and, as the baby was Mistress William's first child, she wouldn't have received family allowance and therefore wouldn't have had an allowance book. Mistress Williams supposedly came to the house to sign forms so that her mother could adopt Denise with no sign of Social Services and no going through the Courts which is normal procedure. The book is very badly written and her story sounds fabricated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ugly - A Compelling Read, 15 Sep 2006
Mrs. Stephanie Wallace (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
On reading the first page I found this book hard to put down. I found myself waking in the night and picking it up.

Constance Briscoes upbringing was full of sadness and she truely believed what her mother beat into her - that she was Ugly. What made her story heartbreaking was the fact that no-one around her seemed able to do anything to prevent her miserable upbringing - although it was plain for all around her to see exactly what was going on.

A truely compelling, heartbreaking read - I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
Poorly written and too many inconsistencies.
I honestly believe that this ladies experiences have been somewhat embellished.
I gave up reading half way through and I certainly would not waste my money on beyond ugly.

Ugly
Ugly by Constance Briscoe (Paperback - 3 Sep 2009)
6.29