Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 October 2013
You can feel the chill factor from the pages, as Krista finds herself in Quebec, and briefly in Montréal, her mission to bring the Winter Carnival to life on her own travel website Va-Va-Vacation. From the etiquette of the do,s and don'ts in an Ice Hotel (do not wear any cotton because if you sweat it freezes, not good), to sledding with huskies in ice cold temperatures, to ski joring... (what's that? it involves horses and skiers, that's what) a real Winter Wonderland is brought to life in this terrific book!

A great style that bowls along at a cracking pace and some really interesting snippets of info. Would you ever had known that the Inuit made their sleds out of two lengths of frozen salmon wrapped in animal hide? Have you seen the Balto statue of a husky in Central Park as a tribute to his help in a diptheria outbreak (I know, not exactly relevant for Quebec per se - but I bet you will keep your eyes open for it when you are next in the Park!); The Pink Panther was filmed in Cortina...It takes 32 litres of maple sap to make one litre of maple syrup...The Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Room 1724 is where Yoko Ono and John Lennon recorded "Give Peace a Chance".... the longest Cree chief's name is Ahchuchhwahauhhatohapit (that would be great for a spelling bee!)....

So, as you can see "Every City has its Story". And at the end of this tale, you have Krista's Do's and Don'ts, the essential message when planning a trip is "more research = less regret".
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
This was so fabulous!! I loved every second of it!

It's got a Travelogue feel to it and that's one of the pluses for me. Krista runs a travel itinerary website and visits the destinations so she can deliver a first class low-down for the prospective vacationers. She's been unlucky in love and is mending a broken heart so she wouldn't say no to the chance of a holiday romance to cheer her spirits, if it presents itself. On this trip she is visiting Quebec and throughout the book we get to go with her and see first hand all the 'must see/do' things that Quebec has to offer. We also get to tag along on her romantic endeavors and misadventures and it's all just so wonderful.

I wasn't sure of the location accuracies while I was reading, but since finishing and Googling everything that was in the book I've found out that it's a all exactly as she tells it - The places, the food, the customs, the activities - it's all there! Bonhomme and the annual carnival sound like so much fun and the restaurants Krista visited sound so yummy. The people sound wonderful, the weather seems inviting and just everything about the book/place drew me in.

The story/romance side of the book was done to perfection too and had all the usual setbacks, misunderstandings and obstacles that comes with good chick-lit. It was funny, it was touching, it had a bit of mystery and it had just the right mix of will they/won't they to keep it interesting.

I just loved it all! It's a keeper and a favourite and I really wish there was a website called Va-Va-Vacation! to see all the wonderful photo's and reportage from Krista's trip! I spent a good couple of hours after finishing the book going over all the travel websites I could find, trying to find the best deal on a package trip to Quebec for next year. Seriously, as soon as I find the best deal I'm booking up!!! :D
on 11 January 2014
Climb inside this snow globe, but beware it could get hot enough to melt all the snow!

I admit that it was love at first sight of this book. It reminded me of Tiffany's with it's powdery duck egg blue cover, and it looked like the sort of book that I would adore from the first word. But it didn't happen like that for me. It took a while for me to get into, but now, having finished the book, I can say that I did adore it. It is wonderfully romantic, but not in the usual obsessive chick lit way i.e. the romance is not ever present, it doesn't take over or take anything away from Krista's story of reporting in Quebec. I liked her relationship with her best friend back home, which provide some fabulously funny skype and texting moments.

One of my favourite aspects was the husky dogs, and in particular, the husky puppies!! Belinda's description was so fantastic that I could almost feel their deep soft fur snuggled against me.

I have never been to Quebec, so I can't say how true to life her suggestions and discoveries are. Given the acknowledgements, I don't think I would be let down. Grab a copy and discover Quebec for yourself....
on 22 June 2013
Just finished reading this and it makes a nice change to have a Belinda book set in cooler climes. Always love her books as there's a bit of everything: humour, stunning scenes/travel, delish new foods and some romance thrown in for good measure. The only thing I would change is the slightly rushed ending - I do hope we get to hear a bit more on Krista/Jacques seeing as her next book is from Lauries point of view. Loved the characters/setting and look forward to the next adventure :)
I am a big fan of Christmas so other than my favourite authors turning up on Christmas day to play silly games and eat my Christmas dinner surely the next best thing is when one of your favourite authors release a Christmassy book!

I was so delighted when Winter Wonderland by Belinda Jones arrived on my doorstep as this is one writer who get s me in the holiday spirit with her writing so surely she can get me in the festive mood too!

Imagine waking up in a snow globe... That's how travel journalist Krista feels when she arrives in magical Quebec to report on Canada's glittering Winter Carnival. Over ten sub-zero days Krista's formerly frozen heart begins to melt as she discovers an enchanting world of ice palaces, husky dog-sledding and maple-syrup treats galore. And then she meets Jacques, a man as handsome and rugged as he is mysterious... The two share a secret that could bond them forever, but can they find a way to break through the protective layers around their hearts to warm up this winter wonderland? ...let the snow-spangled adventure begin.

Wow..... Although we don't have the festive roast cooking or Santa popping down the chimney this book still brings the perfect backdrop, I am talking the cold chill with our friend snow, cute fluffy dogs pulling sledges..... oh I am in my element!
How does this author manage to wrap you up in the setting so much so that you feel like you have been to the location! Belinda Jones is back in full swing this year, she needs to be on commission because her beautiful and informative writing skill has sparked an interest in me to visit Quebec, now that is saying something for me because I only do Summer holidays!

The author also manages to give you a tour of Quebec and gives you a number of facts and many must see sights but all of this is weaved perfectly into a great storyline. I loved each and every character in this book, there were more than our fair share of tasty men to choose from. Our Heroine Krista took a little time to warm to but as the story progressed her character softened and became an enjoyable character to read and towards the end of the book when you find out her secret she becomes even more loveable. The ending was rather predictable to me but this didn't ruin it for me it was great to watch what you had a feeling was going to happen unfold. I am a hopeless romantic so this book was perfection for me with the gentle romance blossoming in this picturesque scene.

I am sure this book will be a hit this Christmas my one and only negative about this book is that I wasn't invited along to help with the research that Belinda clearly undertook for this book!
on 4 January 2014
I chose to read this book over the Christmas period as I like a nice light read at this time which isn't overly festive. This book fit the bill perfectly as although it's set in a winter wonderland it isn't set at Christmas time. If you like feel good romance novels this would be the perfect read at anytime but particularly good when it's chilly outside and you are snuggled up indoors.

I was a bit doubtful for the first 7 or so pages but then I was hooked. Krista is such a down to earth character you can really relate to her. I think I fell is love with Canada just from reading Kirstas descriptions and experiences and would love to see the places first hand. The characters are all well written and it's good old romance without the jumping into bed romps as soon as you meet stuff.

I loved the scenes where Krista is texting or calling her best friend, Laurie, back home as she is a full of life character. Belinda Jones next book has Laurie as the main character so I'm really looking forward to reading that.
on 22 July 2013
Belinda Jones is one of my favourite authors. I love how she transports you to where the story is set you actually believe you are there too & this one doesn't disappoint. It's engaging from the start & draws you into Krista's world. Classic chic lit romance without being ott, with a few chuckles along the way. I can't wait for the next one.
on 9 October 2013
This book is brilliant. It's hilarious at some points and nice and sweet at others. Much better than other similar books as it feels more like real life, it's so down to earth. Plus it's set in a winter wonderland... what more could you want?! Highly recommended.
on 1 December 2014
I loved this book, didn't want it to end and can't wait to read it again, It's going straight on to my 'Books I'd Take to a Desert Island' list. Can't get higher praise than that.
on 19 February 2015
As usual, Belinda Jones' novel has entertained and inspired me. I thoroughly enjoy her style of writing and look forward to reading her next book.