4.0 out of 5 stars Living La Vida Loca
Carmen and Beth are best friends who are sick of the way their life has been lately. Carmen has only just broken free from a bad relationship and Beth is realising that her dream of becoming a famous dancer is ebbing away slowly. Salvation comes for the pair in the form of a reality TV show that will allow them to travel the world learning how to dance: the tango in...
Published on 10 Jun 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best
I've read all of the books that Belinda Jones has written, she is one of my favourite authors.

This is her latest book which sees the heroines applying to join a TV show where they need to learn to dance in 3 locations, the Tango in Argentina, the Flamenco in Spain and Salsa in Cuba. With the usual ups and downs that one can expect from a chick lit...
Published on 24 Sep 2010 by Monika Ditton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov 2014
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
Good writer, storyline keeps you wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Belinda Jones, 10 Jan 2011
Vicky Teather (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
Yet another delightful read from Belinda Jones. I often find that authors skim the setting of their novel in favour of developing their characters, which is not a bad thing. However Belinda always creates a world so alive and descriptive that I often wish I was there with them. This book is no exception.
I would firmly recommend any of her books. I've loved them all. Looking forward to another one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Living La Vida Loca, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
Carmen and Beth are best friends and are fed up with life at the moment. Carmen has just finsihed with her boyfriend and Beth wants to be a famous dancer - but it's just not happening for her.

One day Beth comes across an advert for a reality TV series looking for women to learn three dances in their country of origin and so they take up it. From this point on you just want to know what is going to happen to them. You also get to reflect back on how bad there life has also been.

This is a really good holiday read and would recommend to anyone. Also if you love watching dancing programmes this one is also for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strictly Great, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
Living la Vida Loca is a nice chick lit tale filled with romance as best friends Carmen and Beth go on an incredible journey, taking them from a mundane life in London to 3 wonderful locations around the globe courtesy of a Dance Reality show (there's a Tango in Argentina, a Paso-Doble in Spain and a Salsa in Havana). Beth should not really be in the show as she already knows how to dance, but she pulls off the `amateur' act. Some lovely get-away-from-it -all writing that is oh so cosy, but also it hits on the grim theme of abusive relationships (from which Carmen is escaping). It is very nicely paced and really made me laugh and dream in equal measure; the perfect partner to read with the new Strictly series just started.

Book 3 of my 7 to read (see Listmania)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Chicklit winner, 4 Oct 2010
Ms. Alison Taylor (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
brilliant Belinda has done it again, I love reading and re reading all Belinda's books she has such a talent for zapping you right in there, would have loved to have been there to learn the dances to.
If you have never read one of Belinda's books you are truly missing out, then are true to life, so much fun have the right amount of romance without being sickly.
Read this and you will be addicted, and I can throughly recommend all her previous books, I have got to buy a new set due to lending them to others and not getting them back xx Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Belinda Jones for years, and had Living la Vida Loca on order for months, before it was released.

The story was fantastic, and in true Belinda style, it had you laughing your socks off one minute, and then wanting to hug the central characters of Beth and Carmen the next.

Having worked in the Theatre, her description of the business is spot on. As always with her books, the first thing I want to do is book a holiday to a far flung destination.

Congrats to another brilliant book, please don't leave the next one so long next time!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great cover art as usual..., 21 Jun 2010
Nom de Plume "Nom De Plume" (Nr Stonehenge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
Other reviewers have done great reviews of the content of this book so I'll stick to my thoughts. As a long time reader of Belinda Jones I always look forward to a new title, and when this was delayed 2 years I had a sense of 'dread'. Sadly it's proved to be right. Never have I struggled to complete or care about one of her titles, even 'The Love Academy' which was the previous nadir. I don't care about the characters, the constant listing of 'great hotels and restaurants', the name dropping of apparently locally famous people, has become irritatingly obvious. Having name checked almost every member of the Strictly Come Dancing cast, circa 2007, you're left wondering why since it's dated information and there's no link to the storyline, bar the fact that they dance, and that's coming from a Strictly fan.

I wanted this book to be good and it's not. It feels like it's trying way, way too hard. I wonder if that's because the writer is too close to parts of her subject to be objective and too scared to be honestly subjective, which would take this out of the chick lit genre. I work with families who have experienced domestic abuse and Ms Jones paragraphs on that are among the most 'real' in the book, but perhaps in that lies the problem. You either need to commit to dealing with difficult experiences, or don't. Instead the whole subject seems trivialized and as if Carmen simply has a few nice holidays and gets 'over' a long term abusive relationship by hooking up with some guys.

You lost me this time Ms Jones, not so much over the domestic abuse as the name dropping, star spotting and hotel/product placement which stands out more than usual (& let's be honest, along with the 'I live in LA now' theme, it is increasingly your trademark!). I spent way more time wondering how many freebies you'd got and why you felt you need to tell everyone, than I did about the 2 dimensional characters, shallow relationships and a plot that disjointedly cuts between locations with no explanation. It's actually worse than the cringeworthy parts of 'Into the Blue' on the set of the film 'My life In Ruins' (AKA Driving Aphrodite) which detailed scenes of the film and named checked just about every cast member.

Finally, I have to say the interview at the end of the book belongs on your website. It took away any good feelings I had about the book. It reads like a justification for why you wrote the book, why it's so disjointed and I wondered why (& who) felt that was needed? It feels that this book has been massively cut down by editing from something else entirely, leaving skeleton characters and relationships and the names of those you need to pay back. I wondered what place the interview had, other than to explain your personal circumstances, which left me wondering why you felt the need to justify yourself. It put me off even more. Next time I'll wait and get your new book from the library.

If you want Belinda Jones at her best try 'I Love Capri' or 'The Paradise Club', sadly this most definitely isn't it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Living la Vida Loca (Paperback)
I have always been a huge fan of Belinda Jones. Belinda's storylines coupled with the great travel writing always brightened up my summer reads and I could never put her books down. Sadly this book is a little all over the place in terms of plot and her story drags on and on. I had to push myself to finish the book and Im reluctant to recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Living la Vida Loca
Living la Vida Loca by Belinda Jones (Paperback - 10 Jun 2010)