Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2016
I know some people struggle with the anecdotal nature of Cesar's writing, but I like that he writes from experience. I haven't necessarily employed all of the suggestions here, but those I have have been very successful. I recommend following the advice on puppy classes. Having found a structured class myself, I've seen puppies brought to it a little late in the day who had previously attended the free for all style class, and you could see that there were going to be problems, especially with the larger breeds
on 1 December 2015
For the first third of the book I thought it was great, by the final third I wanted to punch him for being so full of himself. If you can ignore his self-righteous lecturing then there are some very good tips and guiding principles in this book. He clearly knows what he is talking about, and his guidance is very effective, but he makes it sound very easy when the reality may be a lot harder (not many of us have a dog compound with a pack of dogs that we can train all day every day).
on 23 November 2015
I found this book very interesting and am looking forward to putting the information to use when we have our new puppy in December.
on 4 January 2016
Limited by author only working with medium energy placid puppies.

Cesar describes how to chose a calm puppy and then train them, mostly with the aid of an older dog.

I have a high energy, manic, playful bundle of joy - whose response to recommended commands is to stick her bum in the air, wag tail at warp speed and bark, followed by running in manic circles.

Owners of bouncy spaniels would be advised to look elsewhere!
on 7 November 2015
Brilliant book. Really useful and gives me a new understanding of how my puppy thinks and how to train him successfully.
on 25 August 2012
I'm leaving my original review below. I thought I should be fair and put my most up to date views down. Indeed, the most useful part of the book is the last 50 pages and I did learn a lot from it. But I still think it's too long. Since reading the book I've started recording and watching Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer on TV and have learnt a lot more. I think he is really good with dogs - I wish he would write a guide on how to understand dogs, showing pictures of dogs and how to interpret their movements, be it ears, eyes, tails... That would be really useful. So, I recommend you watch his programme and then consider whether you need to buy this.

'If you're looking for a quick guide with useful do's and don'ts then don't buy this. It is very long and you have to read a whole lot of very boring stuff to get the useful information you need. And 202 pages in I've only learnt maybe 5 things. When you're in a hurry to get help with your dog you don't want to waste time reading the life stories of other dogs - you just want to be told what works and what doesn't. I suppose I'll have to keep looking.'
on 21 April 2014
You'd be better going to dog training classes. This is more of a personal account than a practical guide to training.
on 29 April 2012
I was advised to read Cesar Millan's book on training my new puppy from the breeder so I bought this book having not read or seen Cesar Millan before. The book was a good read but didn't give me enough clear directives to follow in training my new puppy. It told more of a story about how Cesar had raised 4 various puppies. Prehaps I need to see some of his DVDs to get a clearer perspective on how to follow his methods.
on 23 January 2013
As a first time dog owner I found Cesar's advice absolutely invaluable. His way of raising puppies is totally common sense, and quite frankly could be used just as well when raising children! I got this book initially from the library, before even getting my Cockapoo puppy. She is now 1 year old and a really happy, fun, and very well-trained dog. I bought this book for some friends about to get their own puppy.
on 23 November 2013
Cesar Millan spends more time saying how good he is and not enough about training your very small puppy dog