5.0 out of 5 stars Cesar Millan is able to help you raising the happy dog
"How to Raise the Perfect Dog" by Cesar Millan is an informative and practical guide for all those who find themselves in a position to obtain or buy a puppy and want to help her/him grow into a decent dog and faithful friend.

Published 14 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars Good novel bad training guide
I bought this book as a training guide and was disappointed as such. It is an interesting book to read about how he trained his dogs with just a few tips. You need to read a lot before getting the training information you were really after.
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by Katja

5.0 out of 5 stars Cesar Millan is able to help you raising the happy dog, 19 May 2014
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog (Paperback)

The book is written by known writer and host of "Dog Whisperer" TV show, Cesar Millan who gives lots of tips for raising happy dog, while avoiding behavior problems in process.
More precisely inside reader will find Cezar's advices about puppy nutrition, detailed overview of the puppies growth and development for owner to track whether progressing is going as expected, vaccinating info, information how to correct problems before they become permanent behavioral issues and, perhaps most important, list of common mistakes owners do related to puppies raising and how to avoid them.

The author recommends combination of exercise, affection and discipline, providing clear rules for your young dog, teaching her/him where the limits and boundaries are.
He is also known for using some avant-garde techniques and concepts which are known to fans of his show like the ideas of dominance and leadership, calm-submissive behavior that sometimes sound a bit controversial.

But what is certain is that Cesar Millan has lot of experience and vast dog knowledge, and most important, that he really cares about dogs.
He treats these beloved animals with care and love, never abusing or forcing them to do something that will make them unhappy.

And with all other previously mentioned reasons, I believe that this book deserves your attention if you have a puppy and you're scared because you have never been in such a situation, and there's not enough information or you hear contradictory information all around. Therefore it seems that Cesar Millan is able to help you raising the happy dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 5 Sept. 2012
I thought the book was brill. I don't particularly need the "let your puppy eat in peace" etc rant again, which I get in every other book that debates on puppies. I've already got those basic bits read few times over in other books. This book was a pleasant surprise regarding to that. It's different from everything else I've loaned from the library or bought.

Hands on feel on the puppies Cesar grew, of four different breeds. I found the bulldog puppy's first steps especially interesting and informative, even if I'm never going to have one for myself nor am I interested in owning one. Problems that no one even thinks of most of the time are tackled in this wonderful book, and I do recommend it to first time puppy owners, maybe alongside some other book that is more mediocre with handling, dangerous plants and people food, the puppy's first days and other issues someone might have or be insecure about.

This book will be good for preventing simple problems. Like the chewing puppies need to do to be unleashed on furniture and your belongings, or how to avoid pushing the puppy off limits. It also had good material of getting puppies used to various things. Cesar Millan also supports the much needed pet neutering, which he tells more about in the book too.

I recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good novel bad training guide, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog (Paperback)
If you after a training guide than this book is a bit long windet, if you want an interesting novel about dog training then you will enjoy the book. I bought "the perfect puppy" from Gwen Bailey as well and find it an easy step by step training guide getting straight to the point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you get a puppy, 6 Sept. 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog (Paperback)
This book is probably more useful before your get your puppy, but if your already have a pup, then it still has some good advice that you can use.

The book will get you to ask yourself what kind of dog you are looking for in terms of energy, not spiritual, but in terms of physical exercise. Do you like miles of walking or just a casual walk around the block a few times. Then he suggests the kind of energy levels a dog may have that will suit your life style. It is no good getting a springer spaniel if you can only spare the time to walk a mile every other day. It is not fair to the dog and he/she may well become destructive through boredom.

If you want a calm dog, but the litter and mother are going hysterical when you come to view them, then this should ring alarm bells. Likewise, if the dog can't be bothered to raise its head when you turn up, it might not make a good jogging companion.

There are some good tips and advice on all aspects of puppy husbandry, exercise and training and examples of what Cesar has had to do in the past to correct bad behaviour. What he tries to get across is prevention is better than cure and it all starts at puppyhood and making sure that the puppy you have is right for you and your family. It can save a lot of heartache.

I now have a happy healthy mongrel (from a rescue center) that easily manages the 1000 miles per year I walk, sits quietly in the car, comes on holidays with us and is placid. Had I not taken some of the advice I may well have ended up with a dog that wasn't compatible with our lifestyle and we all become miserable as a result. I looked at several dogs and asked loads of questions about the puppy even spent a bit of time with a few of them and tried a little training to see how receptive they were, just to make sure we would be compatible with each other.

The book does have a bit of padding and some stories that I didn't find particularly useful, but no doubt it helped me find the right type of dog for me. Well worth holding back, not rushing in and getting yourself prepared before hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Feb. 2013
McLindsay (Witham, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog (Paperback)
If you're looking for a bullet-point list of training rules, do not buy this book! Cesar's approach is a philosophy that may sound airy fairy but it makes a lot of sense and I can tell you that it works! I read this book as we prepared to have our bullmastiff puppy join our family and managed to implement as much as I could before the dog arrived. I also encourage my husband to read it so that we could both be consistent in our approaches. Our dog is now 6 months old and while he's not the first dog I've ever had, he is the first dog I've ever tried this approach with and not only can I say he's the best behaved dog I've ever had, it's also made me think back to all the things I did wrong with my other dogs in the past. The book is written in a way that draws principles of how to raise your dog from a number of case studies, as the book follows five puppies Cesar chose and raised with the purpose of writing this book. It's a great read as well as being instructional. But don't expect a quick fix guide because that's just not Cesar's way!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 13 Mar. 2013
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog (Paperback)
I'm sure Cesar is really competent but this book is very poor, its written in narrative style with lots of anecdotes, and you need to read whole book to pick out tips. theirs no clear alternatives, you either crate your dog, or your wrong. Its not really applicable to many people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The fact that it was constantly brought back to talking about actual puppies and real stories made it much easier to follow than some if the theory heavy books available. Have already recommended it to a few dog and puppy owners that I know

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for a first time puppy owner, 27 Aug. 2010
N. Byrne (UK) - See all my reviews
+ I really disagree with the negative review on this book, I have never had a dog and wanted some sound advice from an expert. At first there were no pictures and alot of reading and I kind of wanted facts fast. However, this books is well worth reading through and I thought it went deep into how a dog thinks, which was an eye opener for a new dog owner like me. There are single chapters on all the aspects of bringing up a puppy from bringing it home to, walking, sleep, what you will need etc - ending in a summary of tips which are easy then to look back over.

- He does waffle a little bit at times about his own dogs (bless him he is passionate about dogs!).

Puppy is home....and the advice has really worked, of course you adapt parts to your lifestyle and dogs personality but by following the sleep - our puppy whined a bit when we went to bed but we followed the advice and he did not wake us at night once, and after three nights happily goes in his crate and doesn't bother us at all.

well worth a read for a new owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for first time dog owners, 6 April 2014
Good honest advise from a great professional.
I will adhere to it when I bring my puppy home for the first time next week.
Mr Milan is talking from his heart and soul when you read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just dont like the bit about the chain collar, 9 Oct. 2014
Just dont like the bit about the chain collar. His methods are a little harsh so i gave the book away and got Its me or the dog by Victoria Stilwell instead. Much better.

How to Raise the Perfect Dog
How to Raise the Perfect Dog by Melissa Jo Peltier (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2010)