5.0 out of 5 stars my first ,but not my last
Published on 12 Jan. 2010 by James Eves

First sentence: I had been standing under this tree, against these railings, looking at that house from the corner of my eye for almost ten minutes now while I waited for my heart to stop dancing.
Published on 10 Aug. 2012 by L. J. Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars my first ,but not my last, 12 Jan. 2010
James Eves "applegarth" (London,England) - See all my reviews
This is my first Dandy Gilver but not my last.I really enjoy this who done it, that had me guessing to the very end.Set against the back drop of the general strike in the 1920`s,Catriona McPerson has used her impeccaable research of the period detail in the world of below stairs.A great read in these cold evening`s and i can not wait to find the rest of the Dandy Gilver adventures

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific Dandy Gilver story, 8 Aug. 2010
Mrs. Elizabeth E. Higgs "Red Maid" (Herts. england) - See all my reviews
If only Ms McPherson could write these terrific books as quickly as I read them! Dandy Gilver is just wonderful - a witty and capable woman who you would really like know. The backdrop of the general strike is well researched and very well described, The author captures the mood of the 1920's so well and is generally delightful

5.0 out of 5 stars Dandy delights again., 12 Jan. 2010
Ms. Margaret M. Mcdermott (NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I have been a huge fan of Dandy since the beginning and the latest is well on form.A perfect read for the recent chilly weather. Catriona McPherson's attention to period detail is as always superb, you learn things from these books as well as being vastly entertained.The sympathetic portrayal of the 1926 General Strike was very moving, dare I hope that Dandy is being radicalised?.Red Rosa,Nottingham

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that I've read one - - - I need to get them all., 5 July 2010
This review is from: Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery 5) (Paperback)
When Dandelion Dahlia Leston Gilver (Dandy to her friends and family) gets a letter from a woman stating that she knows her husband is going to kill her the only way Dandy can talk to her is by pretending to apply for the job of lady's maid. Lollie Balfour says that her husband of five years is having her followed, someone is listening in on her phone conversations and her mail is being steamed open. Naturally Dandy gets a crash course from her own lady's maid on how to be a lady's maid and arrives at 31 Heriot Row, Edinburgh ready to put all her detection skills to work to find why Mr. Balfour has decided to get rid of his wife.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience for me. This is my first Dandy Gilver mystery and there is some information from the previous books which would have been nice to know (for instance the fact that Dandy is approximately 40 years old), but since each case seems to be completely self contained within it's own book I soon caught up with Dandy, her extremely understanding husband Hugh, and her partner in investigations Alec Osborne. There is a deep friendship between Dandy and Alec, but not any whisper of a romance. The almost invisible Hugh stays home and his wife goes off to be Miss Rossiter, the new lady's maid, and investigate the household from the vantage point of below stairs. The cast includes all twelve of the servants, plus a real poppet of a policeman. Against the background of the general strike of May 1926, we get to watch Miss Rossiter untangle the very twisted threads of a murder which takes place.

I was exceedingly pleased when this author began to place twists and turns within the plot which kept me very much on my toes. All of the changes were perfectly reasonable and logical so I actually had to read all the way to the end to find out who the culprit was. I love it when an author accomplishes that feat. The atmosphere of life within the home of the very wealthy is very well presented, the characters are given full, rounded personalities so that each seemed to be a true individual, and the revelation for who had committed the murder and why was totally satisfying. Very highly recommended if you enjoy a well written book with a heroine who is mature but not stodgy or practically senile. And on top of all that, you actually get to laugh at times and also learn about the conditions in the coal mines which led to the nine day strike that brought England and Scotland to a virtual halt. I will positively be searching for the other four Dandy Gilver mysteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 28 Oct. 2013
I like this series of books. Not great literature but a light entertaining read. Catriona McPherson writes well and uses the English language beautifully. Her books capture the feeling of the 1920's and in this book we get a glimpse of life in Service and of the effects of the general strike of 1926. As in all the Dandy Gilver books the plot is well thought out and the ending unexpected - although the clues are there for us to find.

I like the relationship between Dandy and her sidekick Alex, who wear their snobbishness lightly and tongue in cheek. You get the feeling that, in different circumstances, there could be more than friendship between the two but Dandy could never be anything else than a proper wife and mother to the dull Hugh and their two sons.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 Aug. 2013
I have just read this for the second time, but I find Catriona McPherson's books better the second time round. Unlike the classical detective story, where the reader is led down promising but wrong paths all through, the paths in these books simply lead one into further and further tangles, and make a first reading baffling. However, there is so much fascinating period detail and vivid characterisation that a second reading is just as good, with the advantage that the false trails are aparent to be appreciated on the way.
I'm not sure that I believed in the solution, but it really didn't matter..

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 15 April 2011
E. Potter (Worcs, England) - See all my reviews
A whodunnit set in 1920s Edinburgh. The heroine goes 'undercover' as a servant to discover what is going on. Interesting historical detail without being overwhelming. Good page turner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting period lady detective., 7 Dec. 2013
A very intriguing tale, with a dramatic final twist. Good period atmosphere and setting with a very unlikely lady detective. Most enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 27 Mar. 2015
Another great Dandy Gilver mystery. Love how she gets undercover in this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay due to lack of character backstory. Never assume readers have read other books., 10 Aug. 2012
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dandy Gilver, amateur sleuth, is asked to go undercover as a ladies maid for Lollie Balfour. Mrs. Balfour fears that her life is in danger from her husband. As early plot twist leads Dandy with a completely different crime to solve.
Ms. McPherson committed the criminal offense of series writers; she seemed to assume the reader had read all the previous books. Frankly, I found this incredibly annoying and frustrating as I had no knowledge as to the background of the apparently recurring characters, including the protagonist, nor did the author provide any. Dandy is supported by three characters with male-sounding names: Alec, Hugh and Bunty. Trying to understand who they are and their relationship to Dandy was confusing and impossible. At least I did figure out one is a dog!
One can almost accept that a seemingly upper-class woman could convenience an established English staff she was a lady's maid might be possible, particularly as it was explained away as her recently suffering a decline in social position. However, I found it nearly impossible to believe the police would be so accepting of Dandy's interference.
The dialogue is quite good. I particularly enjoyed the conversations between Dandy and Alec...'Fanny?' said Alec. `And debunked? Where do you get those words? Do you have to pay a subscription?"
The plot does improve and become more intriguing as the story progresses. This isn't a book set above stairs, but below stairs and amongst those who worked in the coal mines. There is interesting historical information regarding the worker strikes.
"Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains" creates a delightful sense of dread very early on in a story enhanced by an eye for detail and description. I question how plausible the investigative methods were, but the story was unique. I did enjoy it, in the end, but doubt I would read another in the series. I do believe that had I started with the series first book, my view might be quite different.

DANDY GILVER AND THE PROPER TREATMENT OF BLOODSTAINS (Hist Mys-Dandy Gilver-England-1926) - Okay
McPherson, Catriona - 5th in series