5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Ripping Yarn - again!
Published on 12 Feb 2011 by rhosymynydd

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid pirate novel that is surprisingly believable
I did think that any pirate novel nowadays was going to be overly influenced by "Pirate of the Caribbean"; but "The Pirate Devlin" surprised me. For a start, it is largely believable, in that all the events and action could easily have taken place. There isn't more killing than is historically likely, and the hero is by no means superhuman.

My only concern with...
Published on 10 Jan 2010 by Marcus Pailing (Bartlesnipe's ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Ripping Yarn - again!, 12 Feb 2011
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fight for Freedom (Patrick Devlin) (Paperback)
Sorry, I love that descriptive title that is probably years out of date but really described a good pirate/treasure story. This book introduces us to Devlin, sold as a child into servitude into the Royal Navy - however, when pirates raid the ship, Devlin gleefully joins the ragged band but then must avoid his old master's revenge as he sails the high seas. This is a great beginning of what promises to be a pirate sage and is a pleasant change from the modern trend of Top 10 novels which include Danish Drana, Romantic twaddle and gloomy biographies, not to mention horrific crime stories. Novels are meant to enjoyed, not mourned over this is a great fun novel. AS someone who read Dennis Wheatly under the blankets with a torch, this set the sytle that I constantly sought. Bernard Cornwall and Wilbur Smith have sufficed but they are now a little passe in style. This is very well written, the characters alive and treasure on the horizon. Give it a chance!!!!!!!!!!Fight for Freedom (Pirate Devlin 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Set sail at once, 16 May 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Historical Fiction often dabbles in certain time periods although some are more popular than others. Here in this offering is a naval tale in the spirit of Pirates of the Caribbean but darker with a more antihero protagonist than the usual rogue with a heart of gold.

Well written, with cracking naval action backed up by the authors love that whilst taking certain liberties with some of the vessels is purely in keeping in the entertainment area for the modern reader. It's a good bit of fun, its got some great dialogue but most of all the Pirate Devlin is one that will make many a reader want to sale the high sea's with. Great entertainment backed up with a crew of rogues that the reader will love to spend time around. Now pass the rum you scurvy dog.

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid pirate novel that is surprisingly believable, 10 Jan 2010
Marcus Pailing (Bartlesnipe's Revenge) (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

My only concern with it was that the language in which the book is written is ever so slightly archaic, which makes it a bit difficult at times - one has to read it carefully and intelligently! This didn't take away my enjoyment, but it did make it a little hard to get into in the first place - I actually started it twice before I could get beyond the first few pages. But I quickly got used to it, and it wasn't a problem from then on.

Yes, a good book - not a masterpiece, but well worth reading if you like the pirate genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Fun, 11 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is my first foray into a pirate novel, and have to say i really enjoyed it, in similar fashion to Julian Stockwin it took me a few chapters to get into the flow of the book but i think that this is due to trying to get your head into the zone of a pirate, to start thinking like a pirate, to become part of their world, i dont think i ever really managed it, but i got closer.

The Pirates are a strange mix of contradictions, honour when it meets their code, yet blood thirsty back stabbing gits then next second.
Keating weaves his tale and his characters brilliantly, and as for the plot, he had me guessing at every turn, Devlin is a devious devious man.
I for one am looking forward to the next instalment...if as i hope there is one..
(Parm)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good old-fashioned yarn, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fight for Freedom (Patrick Devlin) (Paperback)
An easy read with a lot of swashbuckling and a pot of gold. It's not Patrick O'Brian but it's well written although sometimes it overdoes the 'Ah Jim me lad' rhetoric in its attempt to give period authenticity. Overall good fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Pirate story, 27 July 2010
SJ SMART "Smartie" (London) - See all my reviews
Another pirate novel but a great one. The cover blurb compared it with the famous Sharpe novels and at first i was a little unsure of this but once the story settled after a confusing introduction I could see and appreciate the comparison. The story is not original; a mixed band of drunken ruthless pirates that seem to represent most nations are attacking ships on the high seas and searching for buried gold BUT its well told with some interesting and likeable characters.

I look forward to any further installments as this seems to be the beginning of a series of adventures of the Pirate Patrick Devlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start to series, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fight for Freedom (Patrick Devlin) (Paperback)
Historical fiction takes to the Golden Age of Piracy in Mark Keating's series. Patrick Devlin, the pirate at the centre of the book, isn't really your typical kind of hero - he has a darker side lingering to his character. The plot moves along at a swift pace, although potentially a little too swift in places. Nice cameos are given to Captain Vane and Edward Teach. All in all, this is a decent enough start to a series that I'll happily continue with. Keating isn't going to put Bernard Cornwell out of a job, but the Pirate Devlin series is a nice accompaniment to Sharpe et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pirate Devlin, 21 May 2011
Michael Mac Sharry "andy5858" (Cork Ireland) - See all my reviews
A very well laid out plot and leads along a good number of paths, until you think you know the ending, but No, you are wrong a good twist in the tale.

Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justice outside the Law, 7 April 2010
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hesitated more than once over The Pirate Devlin before deciding on a change of tack for my reading pleasure. I must admit the cover of the book put me off and seemed to support the possibility of dumbed-down literature; swashbuckling made into 'adventure.' In the end I fancied something fictional, something that may well connect to my Desmond Bagley, Alistair Maclean teenage paperbacks.

What I got was far beyond my expectations. The first thing that impressed me was the quality of the prose. From the 'wicked court of men' on page six to the 'whirling dervish of chain' on page 315: this is literature not a tabloid newspaper. The neutral narrator spins the non-linear narrative forward, backward and sideways with ease. The attention to detail adds to the sense of being in a scene and is never painted on.

History is a major character in the story. Politics can decide the squeeze of a trigger or the lowering of a gun. Inside a moment. Jacobite or Stuart hardly matters. I was especially impressed by the writing of a fight between men. Men who know exactly what each hand, each leg and foot will do because of their experience. It is not slow motion writing, it is highly charged renditions of exactly what is happening. Something timeless in the absence of fear.

The characterisation also belies stereotypical descriptions. It has to, beneath the uniforms, behind the drinking, there are grudges, preconceptions and follies. The tapestry of the pirate character is wonderfully free. Ugly. Attractive. Very exciting. If the author is reading this review; I would love to make the film of The Pirate Devlin.

Read The Pirate Devlin as a journey into 1717 or as a stark contrast to office secretary, coffee machine and free text messages on mobile phones. As good as a day off.

4.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable than expected!, 21 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It must be 40 years since I read Treasure Island and, when I first started this tale of pirates and treasure I thought it was going to be full of "Heave-ho me hearties!" and other high-seas, high-jinxs. But, in fact, it was both dramatic and gripping enough to make me want to read on despite the rather convoluted plot. There are sections where the story wanders and weaves in a way that is hard to follow but, overall, it was well done and cleverly put together.

It is an excellent debut and there are more than enough hints that Keating intends to write more of Devlin and his band of brigands. It's not really a genre that I will be likely to follow but it was a pleasurable piece of escapism into a part of Englands past that I knew little about. If the history was accurate then the social tapestry it sewed was all to it's credit and indeed, on many levels, I did enjoy this book more than I expected.

Fight for Freedom (Patrick Devlin)
Fight for Freedom (Patrick Devlin) by Mark Keating (Paperback - 30 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01