5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to a lovable qualification.
Published 5 months ago by karen

3.0 out of 5 stars A good revision guide
Good book, reasonably well laid out with a good selection of revision activities. More depth would be helpful in some Cold War areas though. This and the occasionally cluttered layout are the only letdowns.
Published 3 months ago by JED

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to a lovable qualification., 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
The product is a perfect, comprehensive and generally efficient method of acquiring the information required for the GCSE. Usually, the CGP company is an excellent brand as the generally bland and unnecessarily flowered data is condensed into something more easily accessible by GCSE students. This trend however has been broken through simply going too far - the CGP version of GCSE History - a guide I purchased previously - contains the bare minimum for a literal and extremely simplistic grasp of the subject. This guide however seems to contrast CGP in this area, in the sense of its ability to express the material in an interesting and perfectly articulated manner yet retaining the simplicity of writing that revision simply demands.

In consideration of this, the guide is a perfect book for any student of history, with more than enough sophistication and general attractiveness to allow achievement of an A*. Though reputation is commonly an effective means of decision making, in this case, the Ben Walsh guide has outshined the largely popular CGP counterpart in almost every aspect - only a few of which I have named here. Remember, reputation isn't everything, and this situation is a perfect example. What? You're still reading this stupid old review? Go out there are buy it! Go on!

- C. J. Evans, author of 'Black' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-conscience-C-J-Evans-ebook/dp/B00M5LJ846).

3.0 out of 5 stars A good revision guide, 22 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars History GCSE, 13 May 2014
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my daughter, it is a very good book and I recommend it to anyone doing GCSE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
Provides an OK summary but there are a few details that are ignored so what I did was use this as well as the bigger version- got me an A*

Good read the night before the exam!

5.0 out of 5 stars really useful for GCSE students, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this for my son who has just started his Y10 GCSE History course, it was recommended by his teacher. He says that it covers all the relevant topics and is easily digestible.

2.0 out of 5 stars KEY FACTS WRONG!, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
I ordered this book because I already owned a Ben Walsh textbook which I found extremely useful for the international relationships side of the GCSE course. At first glance this revision guide looked promising, with lots of condensed information. However, having 2 other textbooks on the USA topic, I found that the information was conflicting. Several facts in this revision guide differ from those in the other 2 textbooks, and when I checked online the other 2 textbooks were right, NOT the revision guide.
For example, this revision guide states that the Brown v Topeka Board of Education case was in 1952 - when it was actually 1951. An obvious mistake.
Other dates / statistics were conflicting too. Not at all helpful when you're a stressed GCSE student trying to remember all the different facts, and then finding out that some are wrong.
In the end, I barely used this revision guide as I couldn't trust it's accuracy. It confused me by giving me false information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me an A, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
Having reached the end of a two year course I was particularly panicked when in the lesson my teacher told us we didn't have any time to do reviison in the lessons. I bought this and found it covered everything I needed for the course in a perfect level of detail. Got me an A at History well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Revision guide, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
A great book for revision for GCSE, very simple but detailed, nothing like the textbooks... So much slimmer and nicer to read! Came quickly too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful for Paper 2, 25 May 2014
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
This was good for revision for paper 1 this year, it helped me a lot. I revised from this book for my paper 2 exam. It only has 12 pages in chapter 13 (which is the unit that my paper 2 was based on). I made sure that I rembered every detail on these pages. However, my exam was about Mods and Rockers which was not even mentioned in this revision guide. Mods and Rockers were talked about in the full Ben Walsh book but didn't come up once in this revision guide. Therefore I went into the exam with no contextual knowledge for the exam. Very disappointing. I am not sure how he could omit so many details from this revision guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs to be supplemented with your own notes, 19 May 2014
This review is from: OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide (Paperback)
It is a helpful source, but it does not contain enough detail on aspects such as the USA depth study and not well presented in order for you to see the dates of what has happened due to a relative lack of timelines. Important details are all over the place and may not be noticed since some are included in the small font surrounding pictures.

It is good for remembering what you already know, but there isn't enough detail for an A*. I would however recommend it in addition to your own notes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide
OCR GCSE Modern World History Revision Guide by Wayne Birks (Paperback - 28 Jan 2011)
Used & New from: 6.49