5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny, clever and kind

3.0 out of 5 stars Very strange, but also something not to miss out on
Published on 5 Jun. 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny, clever and kind, 26 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I loved this book, because it made me laugh AND it tlaks about things that matter too. Saffy's a really brilliant and likeable person, and the rest of her family is fab too. Cadmium, Indigo and Rose are all named after paints, because their batty parents are both artists. Saffron is named after a colour too, but can't find her name on the colour chart, which is how she finds out she is adopted. Saffy has been left something special by her real grandfather, and now she has to find it - along with the help of her adopted family. I learnt a lot about polar expeditions, driving lessons and revising for exams, as well as laughing all the time. I do hope there are going to be more adventures for Saffy?

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughing and crying - go on... read it!, 7 Aug. 2002
Saffron Casson feels that she is the odd one out in her loving, but ever-so-slightly-eccentric family. When she fails to find her name on the artists colour chart in the kitchen (her siblings Cadmium, Indigo and Rose are all there!) she realises that there might just be a reason for this. When the truth about her adoption is revealed Saffy set off on a quest of her own. In her dreams she remembers a garden and a stone angel - 'her' angel - and she is determined to find them.
The story recounts Saffy's adventure, against the background of many mad goings-on in the lives of the rest of the Casson family. The character are all fantastically well-drawn, even the more minor ones (I particularly like Saffy's friend Sarah's dad, and Michael the driving instructor!).
Read and enjoy - this is is a funny and heart-warming book, with some laugh-aloud moments as well as some serious messages about finding out who we are, and going our own way. I loved it - I will admit to not having read anything else my Hilary McKay, but I'm about to rectify that!!
Oh - and I think Liselotte Watkins deserves a mention for such a snazzy cover...

3.0 out of 5 stars Very strange, but also something not to miss out on, 5 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This book is mad in it's own ways because of all the people in it. It is a funny, moving book with lots of different stories combined into it. Saffy is a hot tempered child in parts of the story, and friendly in others. Caddy (she's my favorite charater) is fun to be with brilliant person, her Guinea pig and gerbil farm is something to get your imagination going. Indigo is extraondinarily unique, and his filling makes the story weird and his food-decide on that bit for yourself. Rose is an artistic young girl who would put trees on leads and take them on walks if she could. Eve and Bill are complete loonatics. All of the family put together are typical bohemians. (apart from bill, who's got a face like a fiddle.!!!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly delightful, curiously old-fashioned, 24 April 2003
Paul Schaffner "PFSchaffner" (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Among Hilary McKay's other books, Saffy's Angel reminds one most of the Exiles series, though it is intended for somewhat older readers. It is full of instantly memorable, independent, and slightly eccentric characters comprising a tightly knit 'artistic' family of distinctive character and personality--think of Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpes, E. Nesbit's Bastables, or any of Noel Streatfeild's families. The setting is contemporary but the atmosphere curiously old-fashioned, especially in the book's confidence that Saffy, the adopted child, will always belong. The book is by turns moving and outrageously funny; the writing is superb enough to reward many rereadings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 July 2010
A Kid's Review
Saffy's Angel is the first book in the series of the Casson family.Saffy is an adopted daugter-adopted by her aunt and uncle when her mum died in a car crash.
Saffy is determined to find something to prove that she mattered to her family.
I think this book is well written and would appeal to girls aged 10-13.
There are humorous bits in this book as well as sad bits and it had a surprising ending.I am now reading the next book of the series (Indigo Star).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Mar. 2010
Mrs. J. L. Riley "Jane" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
My daughter read this book and I followed up the purchase by buying the audio book. It's a VERY good book, and is brilliantly read on the audio CD. I would highly recommend it (probably for ages 10-14years)

5.0 out of 5 stars Saffy Angel, 8 Dec. 2013
I love this book because it's funny sad and unpredictable I like caddy the most because she is funny and as well unpredictable

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, 30 Dec. 2012
I bought this book for my new kindle, I had read some of the other books in the series (the wrong way around) not really realizing it was a series. I read it within two days as I couldn't get enough of it! I would recommend this book to 11+ readers as the story gets more complicated later in the series.

Girl aged 13

5.0 out of 5 stars Go saffys angel, 1 Sept. 2012
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is BRILl when Saffy finds out she is adopted she is determined to find out more . t
Then Saffys granddad dies and life seems to be falling apart will Saffy ever find her angel .

5.0 out of 5 stars First of a brilliant series!, 21 May 2012
djdhp (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casson Family: Saffy's Angel (Paperback)
My daughter is 12 and we only found these recently and now we're working our way through them all - yes, luckily I get to read them to her! She's quite a mature reader but she likes humour and real life situations as well and she gets it all from the Casson family. These books are so clever because they are funny - laugh out loud for both of us at times - and easy to read but they have an awful lot of thoughtful observation tucked away in them so while you thoroughly enjoy them, you have lots to think about afterwards. The second one, Indigo's Star, has even left us with a catchphrase - 'Feeling blue, Indigo?'

Casson Family: Saffy's Angel
Casson Family: Saffy's Angel by Hilary Mckay (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2013)