5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastick.
Before going into much detail, the most important thing to know, in a review of a children's book, is has the child asked to have this read again? Indeed, our little boy has, more than once; which may be all you need to know.

Published on 14 Aug. 2012 by Stucumber

3.0 out of 5 stars A compromise between my grandson's thoughts and mine
My grandson has just turned 3 and when this came up on Amazon Vine I thought it would be a good addition to the books he has at my house.

* What do I think? *
Published on 1 Aug. 2012 by Sheila Camp

3.0 out of 5 stars A compromise between my grandson's thoughts and mine, 1 Aug. 2012
Sheila Camp "Sheila" (Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

* What do I think? *
When I read it through before he had a look at, I instantly took a like to the illustrations, Neal Layton has made the story very visual. I particularly liked how on some of the pages only the main part is a vivid colour whilst others are dulled into the backgroup - such as when Stanley is waiting for the train with his family. I like the embossed cover, made it seem really appealing. I also thought the layout of the text was good - some pages went left to right whilst others went down the page and it made it feel different on each page. The story however wasn't to my liking. I found the S alliteration difficult in places such as "Stanley stands on Stockport Station with his stick." Parts of it became a mouthful and required a lot of concentration. Furthermore some of the phrasing was odd, as in "like pretending the stick is a match to catch the world aflame" and "boats ride seaback out on the distance"; they just don't seem to make sense.

* What did my grandson think? *
He is a big fan of lyrical stories such as The Highway Rat or Each Peach Pear Plum (Viking Kestrel Picture Books) and this didn't appeal to him in quite the same way. As he has an active imagination he didn't struggle with the concept of how the stick could mean a range of different things to Stanley such as a dinosaur, a fishing rod, a banana or a whistle but he didn't react as well to the words as I'd imagined he would; even though I read it with enthusiasm. He told me after three readings he really liked the slug but not the monkey (I've no idea why by the way!).

So overall whilst as an adult I'd be looking at giving it 2 stars, he seemed to favour 4 stars. Therefore 3/5 is a compromise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastick., 14 Aug. 2012
Stucumber "Stucumber" (N. Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Other than that, the story, though in a well-worn theme, is a thoughtful take on the idea of the imaginative potential of simple objects. This isn't to say that the author lectures the reader on 'the-importance-of-imagination', rather that he reflects back to children, in a way they'd relate to, something of their own nature.

Hegley is a poet and this comes through in his prose, there is a rhythm to the words that I recognized from seeing him perform. It is somewhat different to the usual children's book style, though it does have a lovely lyrical quality.

The illustration may divide people due to its deliberately naive style, it's a style that I appreciate requires a great deal of practise (it's not actually that easy), though it's not one that I enjoy. That said my boy (two and a half) did enjoy it, he talked animatedly about certain pictures and showed a great deal of interest in it.

Despite my own prejudices about the illustration (I must be getting old, it'll be oil paintings of Lancaster bombers for me next), I and my boy both enjoyed reading this together.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sticky Situation, 29 Aug. 2012
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This slim but delightful verse story by poet John Hegley
with illustrations by Neal Layton is a small but perfectly
formed treat for little ones. The power of Stanley's vivid
imagination works wonders on a simple stick, turning it
into a whistle, a bannana, a match and a dinosaur (amongst
other transformations). Mr Hegley understands that this
gift of chilhood is a fragile and transient phenomenon which
imbues his narrarive with a subtle sense of magic and pathos.

'Stanley's Stick' begs to be read out loud at bedtime.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully poetic, 26 May 2012
Lucy Griffin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
I love John Hegley's poetry and had high expectations of this attractive looking picture book which I bought for my five year old son.

It absolutely lived up to expectations! The language is really lyrical and is clearly rooted in Hegley's gift for performance poetry, it rolls off the tongue beautifully. It explores a little boy's relationship with his stick, and captures the feeling of having discovering the perfect toy!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry and sticks - what more could a boy want, 24 Mar. 2014
R. Fairley (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
I bought ten, the gave them to every child we went to a party for - aged about 4 - boy or girl. The poetry of the language is gorgeous. And it makes park visits all the more inspiring. Got to love a book about sticks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Mar. 2014
R. Hollweg (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
I love this book. It has John Hegley's usual brilliant combination of the funny and touching and well-observed, and it is so true, as it is exactly what children do, and they will recognise this and love it.

The beautiful illustrations are just right and have the same qualities.

Highly recommended - a future children's classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
This is one of my 2-year-old daughter's favourite books. She knows is by heart. It has a quirky rhythm and rhyme, an unusual premise and some wonderful words and turns of phrase. It's delightful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for over 5s, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
A nice book about a boy with a stick. Could be used to inspire children to use sticks in a variety of different ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars super book, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
Very popular inspired children to look for odd looking sticks in the woodland and use there imagination while outdoors great

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Stanley's Stick (Paperback)
Great book. My son goes to outdoor nursery so is well aware if using sticks for all sorts of things and this is a lovely story. Seller excellent

Stanley's Stick
Stanley's Stick by John Hegley (Paperback - 5 April 2012)