on 7 June 2015
They are trying to describe too much in too little space. Not a book that I would recommend..
on 12 September 2014
Excellent. Read in conjunction with Drama/Theatre/Performance (The New Critical Idiom) Routledge.
on 5 August 2014
I thought it was ok. Hard to get into, but very useful if you do.
It uses plays as examples (it lists them so you can read them all) but that's a big ask and if you're a student then that's just not possible. I'd seen or read a lot of them (lucky for me) so I was able to follow it more I think.

I'd say if you can read around the bits you don't get or have a lot of experience with theatre then it's a really good introduction into studying plays on an academic level.
on 7 January 2011
This is a fantastic book packed full of theories of performance. It is a book i make close reference too and feel that Wallis and Shepherd is essential to study when doing a drama or performance art course, or career. This has been a great help for me, really breaks each chapter down and allows the student to think beyond the theories printed. Great value for money and very quick service!
perfect