4.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery but tedious police relationships
I read Sophie Hannah's earliest 2 books but then gave up with her, although I quite enjoyed Little Face I found her second book appalling and in all I was frustrated by the alternating chapters about the police.
Published on 7 May 2011 by JM

1.0 out of 5 stars Tortuous, rambling and confusing
Published on 2 Oct 2011 by Jasper

1.0 out of 5 stars Tortuous, rambling and confusing, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Lasting Damage (Culver Valley Crime) (Paperback)
I have enjoyed most of Sophie Hannah's books before now but really can't see what there is to like about this book. Having read the blurb and various ace reviews, I was beginning to think it was me losing the plot until I read some of the other reviews on here. Like other reviewers, I found the whole thing boring. The basic idea grabbed me and I thought it was an unusual and intriguing plot to start with, but the endless tedious conversations between various characters turned it into a dull book. Not only was the plot hard to keep hold of at various times, but the characters were annoying too. The interplay between Simon and Charlie is unlikely and tedious, and the relationship between Olivia and Gibbs is pointless. The most annoying feature of all, for me though, was the repetitive self-analysing and 'stream of consciousness' type rambling of the characters (especially Connie and Charlie) and voicing of their thoughts on everything. This meant a simple conversation or explanation would drag on for pages while the character analysed their understanding of what they'd just heard/said/seen. And the plot about the houses and no. 11/12 and 17/18 became ridiculous and confusing. By the last chapters of the book, I realised I didn't care what the outcome was as I didn't care about any of the characters. I just wanted it finished.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Aug 2011
After all the hype this book received I was all ready to settle down for a darn good read. Initial plot line very different and exciting and I genuinely thought it would go somewhere. However, it dragged and dragged with silly sub-plots, characters irritated me and towards the end I didn't really care what happened as I couldn't help thinking it was going to be a stupid ending anyway - which it was. Very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted, 21 Mar 2011
I strongly disagree with the reviewer who suggested this was a good book to begin reading Ms Hannah's work. If this had been my first book by the author I may not have continued reading due to the frequent references to her other work. I quite like background material on the main characters but this lot are certainly very complicated in comparison to Wexford, Lynley, or Dalglish.The plot was not really beleivable and the dialogue in places was cringe making.
I would still recommend the authors earlier books , the first three were very enjoyable. However I would caution some-one new to this author not to begin with this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Desperately DULL, 19 July 2011
Boswell (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm loath to give this book 1 star. I enjoyed The Point of Rescue and cannot understand how this one slipped through the net. The concept is great - but that is all there is. There are feeble ways of trying to get the book to hang together and the dialogue is repetitive, the themes and content are repetitive - it's as though the author is trying to bang home an idea that just doesn't work - and is so desperately DULL. The settings are dreary and unimaginative, there is no pace, the characters are flat and indistinguishable, the extra 'plot' lines are superfluous and the central character engenders little sympathy. Enough said!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 25 May 2011
Loved all the previous books and was really looking forward to the new one but this was terrible. The story is too farfetched and the main character is very annoying. Too many parts of the story are repeated in different characters conversations. I couldn't wait to finish it for all the wrong reasons. Read her other books and give this a miss.

3.0 out of 5 stars confusing, 14 Mar 2012
R. Myers (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
I was hooked by the openinbg chapter of this book but frankly, got completely lost in the very far-fetched plot with rather too many charecters. Was glad to finish it and wondered what it had actually been about, could not see the logic in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mystery but tedious police relationships, 7 May 2011
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
However the premise of this latest book really intrigued me so I gave it a try. A woman, Connie, is looking at a virtual tour of a house on an estate agent's website and sees a woman lying in a pool of blood. When she tries to show her husband it is just a pristine room with no trace of the horrors she's just seen.
Again, this book follows the same format, chapters alternate between the lead character and the detectives. Whilst the chapters about Connie were gripping, the chapters about the police were like a rude interruption, particularly in the earlier half. Some of them had no bearing on the story at all, such as Charlie and Simon's dismal honeymoon (what a dreadful pair of characters these two are!),and the relationship between Charlie's sister and another police officer, these threads were tedious and reminded me why I stopped reading this author's books.
From a reader's point of view I would say to Sophie Hannah that she certainly knows how to create some intriguing plots and characters but she should really ditch those awful detectives.
BUT, the actual main plot running through the book is quite interesting and really kept me turning the pages, although the truths at the end were somewhat unlikely, but then it is fiction and would be pretty boring if everything was completely true to life.
Well worth a read in spite of my criticisms, and gets better as it goes along.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 17 Mar 2011
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having stood in front of a large publicity poster for this book at my tube station for a couple of days, I was intrigued and despite having started a few Sophie Hannah books in my time and never finishing them, I decided to give it a go.

Had the story been kept to the Bowskills, I probably would have found it a bearable book. However, the large parts of the story given over to the newlywed police officers drove me insane! I have gathered that they are regular characters in these books so without knowing their background, maybe I am being a bit unfair, but the bride is so neurotic and insecure that you just have no empathy with her. The groom, some policing genius by all accounts, cuts the honeymoon short to deal with work?!

I found that there was no character you could really sympathise with, all the women in this book are snivelling, whiney victims and I just didn't like any of them. I found large parts of the story were repeated, one character would have a discusssion with another and then relay it, in full to a different character for which I found there was no need. It is tedious, over long and boring for the most part.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Nonsense., 3 April 2011
Colin In Blue (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read and enjoyed Sophie Hannah's other books in this series, and after reading the pre-publication blurb about this one, I was very much looking forward to this one also. The plot sounded most intriguing.

It starts off well, a promising sign for the rest of the book, I hoped. I didn't know where this story was going to take me, but I sat back and went along for the ride. But the ride was like taking a coach trip from A to B, but the driver getting lost and having to go via C to Z to get there.

As the story goes along, the plot begins to get more bizarre and rather complicated. So many characters enter the story I had to go back once or twice to work out who was who and how they fitted into things.

The ending, when we eventually get there, is all a little disappointing and just a bit too far-fatched for my liking. I know it's fiction, but even so, the way it all ends and the explanations behind the whole story just push the bounds of credulity a little too far.

Having said that, although it is nonsense, it is entertaining nonsense and this together with the fact I liked the author's previous books means this one gets a 3 star rating from me. If you also liked her other books, then give this a go but don't expect the same quality as the earlier books. And if you are new to this author, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars I had to push myself on to finish this book!, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lasting Damage (Culver Valley Crime) (Paperback)
this is the first Sophie Hannah book i have read and one that had been recommended to me. I didnt particularly feel that gripped by it or even that i really wanted to finish it...there were too many characters in that too be honest served no purpose, but just distracted you from the story. I however did finish it and still felt a little flat although i think the two main characters were well written and interesting as was their relationship with each other..if you love Sophie Hannah you may still enjoy this book, but for those that have not read her before i wouldn't rush out to make this your first !

Lasting Damage (Culver Valley Crime)
Lasting Damage (Culver Valley Crime) by Sophie Hannah (Paperback - 18 Aug 2011)