Published on 20 Sep 2006 by Bernard Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars You have to be Christian
Published 20 months ago by a person

5.0 out of 5 stars something for everyone: new christians, old hands, and seekers after truth, 20 Sep 2006
I bought this book when it first came out in 1992 and am now on my third copy. It is a book that I keep coming back to myself, and enthusiastically recommend to others. The author offers the reader the opportunity to find `the heart's true home'. It is obvious from the book's style that it is written by someone who has been on that voyage of discovery themselves, rather than by someone who has a dry academic interest in prayer.

It is the burden of Richard Foster's life to show people that the genuine spiritual life is deeper, wider and taller than they could ever imagine, and to encourage them to `come on in' and discover it themselves. The author never comes across as someone who knows it all. The book is full of descriptions of how he came to experience areas of prayer and he is honest enough to admit where is he is (at the time of writing), and the places that he has yet to explore himself. The effect of his style on me is that I find myself putting down the book, not to analyse what I have read, but to get on with praying myself.

There is no attempt to steer the reader in the direction of any particular church or form of Christianity. The author draws on the Bible and key figures from across all church boundaries and all ages over the last 2000 years who have explored the life of prayer - intimacy with God. Whether you are a new Christian, an old hand, or simply a seeker after truth this book will have something for you in it, as Richard Foster is an old hand himself, who is always keen to discover knew things about God's heart and is always open to fresh perspectives on the truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Guide to Prayer, 31 July 2007
Richard Foster writes profoundly useful material in a kind and generous way. He understands the pressing need for guidance and help for all Christians in working out expressions of faith, and living lives that honour God.

It is no surprise then that he should write about Prayer; the dynamo for Christian life. He offers an excellent tour of different types of prayer, giving tips and hints in some areas, words of caution too, but always gently encouraging us to try and pray more often, and in greater variety.

When I read this book I was deeply grateful for the affirmation it gave me. I realised that I pray in a number of ways, which was an encouragment. But I also realised that I still have a lot to learn and experience.

This wasn't a book to be rushed, and while other books on prayer may simply pass on the information, Richard Foster's book invites you to pause and try it out.

In that one regard I strongly recommend this book to any Christian (or not) who is interested in broadening their prayer life, and therefore relationship with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival guide for your spiritual life, 20 April 2009
If you are serious about becoming Christ centred rather than just committed to Him, then both this book and the Celebration of Discipline by the same author need to be on the bookshelf with your bible and taken down regularly and worked through in detail...
May you be blessed by the power and gentleness of Holy Spirit as you grow in Him and He in you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully affective and effective, 25 Aug 1997
By A Customer
Instramental in beginnning a conversion to that which I already believed. Recomended for anyone who wishes to deepen or expand their prayer life. Wonderfully written and organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awsome guide to prayer in all of its facets., 29 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Richard Foster is blessed with an inspired understanding of how we may approach God. It is instructional and inspirational. It is evedent that he teaches what he has learned as he moves toward the heart of God. This is a book that will take us all to where we meet God and learn His will and His Love for us. A book for all people who look to learn the way of prayer and who need to feel God's presence in their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home (Paperback)
Very enjoyable and practical book for anyone interested in deepening a prayer life. It was recommended to me and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Prayer, 22 July 2013
This is the best and most comprehensive book on prayer I'm aware of. Written so I understand and without condesension

5.0 out of 5 stars The secret to God's heart., 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home (Paperback)
This is an excellent book and every Christian should at least read it. I have gained much from the prayers included in the book and have been led to a deeper prayer life.

5.0 out of 5 stars very recommended to those who do and those who don't, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home (Paperback)
Got a lot from it; very recommended to those who do and those who
don't pray

2.0 out of 5 stars You have to be Christian, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home (Paperback)
I know, it seems obvious. This is a book about prayer. But I came to this from an agnostic perspective, hoping to find... I'm not sure. Just, not this. I suppose I was hoping to find amongst its pages some way into connecting with 'God', whoever that, in my confused agnostic state, may be. A yearning for a relationship with the version of 'God' that I have in my head.
But Richard Foster wades through scripture on more or less every page.

I wanted to have some sort of guide on prayer. The act of prayer appeals. And the front cover and description of this book is "Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home". That appealed to me. But this is not a book about universal spirituality or anything like that.

Probably useful if you are a devout Christian and take the bible word for word.

But if, like me, you're looking for a way in to deepening your spiritual connection with [insert 'God', 'Universal Force', 'collective consciousness', etc] then this probably isn't for you. It's quite preachy.

Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home
Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home by Richard Foster (Paperback - 11 Dec 2008)