VINE VOICEon 31 October 2007
As in other books by Jodi Picoult, there is a central theme involving human emotions of both hope and despair. In this case postnatal depression and the loneliness and anguish that result, drive Paige, a young mother, to leave her 3 month old baby and run.
This is wonderfully woven into the story of how she met her husband on the rebound from an intense childhood romance and the need to track down her mother who abandoned her at the age of 5.
Nicholas is training to be a surgeon, eventually reaching the pinnacle in his field, and is totally thrown by suddenly having to care for his young son alone.
The relationship struggle between himself and Paige is beautifully drawn, a heart-wrenching tale of misunderstandings. Nicholas used to total respect and awe from his colleagues, Paige somewhat childish but fresh and vibrant in her behaviour, with mesmerising artistic talent.
Excellently drawn, I really enjoyed this book. 9 out of 10 because the ending was a touch contrived, I'd have preferred it to finish on page 388 before she revealed her secret. Enough said.
Highly recommended.
on 15 February 2011
I am a big Jodi Picoult fan but really didn't ike Harvesting the Heart. I found it very difficult to have sympathy with any of the characters who I thought were all selfish and self obsessed and I found the ease at which Paige got a job in the local hospital bordering on unbelieveable.

I feel very bad giving such a poor review of a book from an author that I usually admire but in this instance feel it justified.
on 31 May 1999
Jodi Picoult captures in this one book so many different emotions that young mothers are never warned about. The exhaustion, the futility, the loss of identity, the self-doubt, and most of all the desperation. Paige's drive to the grocery store leaving behind a trail of her husband's laundry is seered in my memory. How many times during my early years of motherhood would I have loved to have driven off and never looked back. Inlaws that don't approve of you, mothers who never showed you how to love, fathers whose expectations you couldn't meet, and husbands who live for their careers and are no longer attracted to your post-partum, frazzled self. Why wouldn't you run away! This book did, thankfully, show there is light at the end of the tunnel. All of the characters seemed to find that sometimes it is when we "run away" that we realize how much we need the things we are running from. I cried through the last 100 pages of this book. What a wonderful story.
on 6 August 2011
I usually enjoy Jodi Picoult books, especially for holiday reading, but this was not to my taste. For the second time I've bought what I assumed was her latest or recent novel only to realise it was first published years ago(1993 in this case).
It is clear that she has developed as a writer in the 18 years since this was written. I feel cheated, and cross that as I grabbed it quickly at an airport shop I did not check the publication date. I can't believe I was fooled twice by the same trick.
I found the book slow, boring and irritating. If I had had any other books with me I would have thrown this one in to the med!
on 7 August 2009
I only discovered the work of this prolific author under three years ago. As I have at various levels enjoyed all eight read previously, I am now trying to read all the published novels by her that I can get hold of.
Harvesting the Heart was her second novel first published in 1993 and although it certainly does not have the polish or topical moralistic style of her more recent novels it is still an enjoyable read.

Basically the story tells of the anguish and joy of parenthood told in flashbacks by the two protagonists Paige and Nicholas Prescott. Paige's mother had abandoned her young daughter and husband when Paige was still very young. Circumstances force her to run away from home herself at eighteen and she soon meets and marries Nicholas a very successful medical student. His parents were very much against the marriage, disowned by them they struggle with a lifestyle that soon overwhelms Paige, who is not used to such a sophisticated lifestyle as demanded by Nicholas's rising career. After the birth of their son Max Paige starts to seriously doubt her own maternal instincts and capability to be a good mother. It is then that history seems to repeat itself as she in her turn runs away in search of answers.
This is an absorbing novel which is written in the already emerging distinct style that Jodi Picoult has now made her speciality. I would recommend this to all fans of her novels.
on 26 May 1999
As a young mother married to a man in his fourth year of medical school I could have sworn this book was based party on my life. This book describes perfectly the emotions and thoughts that young mothers experience with their newborns. Ms. Picoult also perfectly captures how it feels to be married to a doctor at the start of their career. I read this book in one delicious gulp.
on 4 November 1998
After reading this book I had to pass it around to everyone in my family and even had to buy extra copies due to the fact that no one wanted to give it back. Jodi Picoult has a way of writing that reaches into you and makes you think and feel everything her characters are going through. You are torn with emotions from the first page. Please read it and you'll understand. Her other books are equally accomplished. ENJOY!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2011
This is the first Jodi Piccoult book I've read and it wouldn't make me rush out to buy any others. Whilst her writing was engaging, the story itself (which started out well) just seemed to lose its way. What could have been a brilliant account of postnatal depression and the impact a new baby can have on a relationship, simply degenerated into the main character contemplating the topography of her own navel.

In fact, the main characters became less likable as the story progressed, until I couldn't give a jot about either one of them. Arguably, Paige seemed to morph into a besotted teen-type stalker character as far as her own husband was concerned. Towards the end, it was like reading a bad Mills & Boon.

I am given to understand that this was only the second book the author wrote, although it was published after she'd had success with other books. This is a shame - it simply seems like a way of getting already-engaged readers to lay out money for something that had been stashed away initially because it wasn't good enough. After all, if it was, then why wasn't it published earlier? I imagine that the book has probably been re-edited and improved upon but, even so, it just lacked the plotline and sophistication I'd expect from an author of this standing.
Departing from her usual courtroom dramas caused by unimaginable circumstances hitting middle class families in the USA, Jodi Picoult has achieved a different style of writing with moderate success. I felt concerned for Nicholas, Paige and Max from the beginning and was pleasantly surprised too when the 'in laws' turned out to be a whole world better than initially it would seem. This book is an involving read with a resolution that felt believable. It delivers messages too, about how marriages can go through patches that don't necessarily mean they are over and how pride and anger can poison what should be a good team. Where one partner can carry the other through and how much support each should be prepared to give during rough times. The well researched and fluently presented descriptions of Nicholas's work as a heart surgeon were especially fascinating, especially to anyone like me with friends and family who have undergone such procedures. I liked it and would pass it on.
on 27 June 2007
I'm fifteen years old, and love Jodi Picoult's books to pieces. Having recieved a bundle of them for my birthday, I found myself hooked.

There is always a moment at the end of Picoult's books when you look up only to realise that the characters are not in fact living in your own bedroom.

If I could give more than 5 stars if possible to these books.

When in doubt - buy one, or borrow one from your local library... These books are magic.

[The Pact is by far the most superior, in my opinion.]

Happy Reading!!!! :)