on 24 September 2014
Well written and exciting. Very much enjoyed it at the beginning but at times later on, it could have done with more editing. Overall I would definitely recommend. Would like to read more books with this detective - perhaps a prequel.
on 21 November 2012
The gritty reality of life in the current recession is cleverly portrayed in Broken Harbour . Moral dilemmas faced by those who try to solve crime is interwoven into the suspense of this well written novel. I could not put it down.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read most of Tana French's first book but gave up before the end. An odd thing to say about a book perhaps, but there were just too many words for the story being told even though the quality of the writing was never in doubt. Now we have the author's third novel and the balance is just right. Even so this is not going to suit anyone who prefers a Dan Brown type of plot but I found I was able to completely immerse myself into this long story.

I know nothing about Ireland's Garda but the storytelling here feels absolutely authentic. The small things that irritated about the characters felt like true character tics not the author failing to get it right. The lead detective for instance, Kennedy, is a smart go-getter who thinks quite a lot of himself. My goodness does he preach ! He preaches to the reader and most of all he preaches at Richie his green side-kick. But it works. Kennedy remains likable simply because although he may not be perfect we can see that he is doing his best.

This is book worth setting aside a good chunk of time for.
on 14 November 2014
Started as a really intriguing story but then became a bit monotonous and really could have been finished about 100 pages sooner. It felt like a drag to finish it and was disappointing after such a promising start.
on 27 August 2014
Though well written, I found this book too heavy and depressing - it was also laboured and repetitive at times, shame but would not particularly look for this style again, just a personal preference, sorry
on 12 May 2013
What I liked about this book was that it was not just a thriller but was full of atmosphere. I could feel the bleakness of the estate where the deaths took place and somehow the whole sad story of Ireland's history was there in the background, its latest attempt at asserting itself having been knocked back. The context was all and the mood stayed with me for a long time after I read the book, a year ago. Enthralling.
on 11 August 2014
A very enjoyable mystery, which also engages us in an insightful look into the modern Irish economy. A brutal murder exposes the secrets of a struggling family. Good characters and an enjoyable read.
on 12 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoy this author and her books. I am looking forward to a new one and am keeping watch. I love the way the characters in each book are linked somehow to the one before. Good stuff!
on 5 August 2012
Tana French is my new favorite author
You will not be able to put this latest one down
Mesmerizing, taut, thrilling. Her characters are 3D. The writing is luscious. I love this author
on 6 September 2013
First time I read anything by this author. Book was recommended on Twitter so thought I would give it a go. Was absolutely hooked. A real page-turner and characters you really cared about.