5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Entertaining and a sumptuous feast of knowledge
Imagine entering a room unobserved and listening in to conversations on a host of different subjects ranging from the Calendar, Socrates, the Peasants Revolt, Darwin, Black Holes, Alchemy and The Field of the Cloth of Gold, by a number of acknowledged experts on each particular subject.
Published on 15 Dec 2009 by Champollion

3.0 out of 5 stars Why you can't do wireless in print
I am a huge fan of the Lord Bragg chaired wirless discussion programme IN OUR TIME but in collecting transcripts of these discussions into book form, one begins to see the shortcomings of the process.

Published on 5 Sep 2010 by Mr. Adrian R. Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Entertaining and a sumptuous feast of knowledge, 15 Dec 2009
Champollion (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In Our Time (Hardcover)
This book, the contents of which have been garnered, from a selection of the BBC Radio 4 programme "In Our Time' is not only entertaining but accesses the reader to a diverse range of ideas and knowledge.
If you enjoy the programme, and there are many who do, this book is an excellent record and supplement to it.
If you are new to it, this book will not disappoint an enquiring mind and complete the gaps on many topics and provoke thoughts, long after you have finished reading it.
I loved the book and recommend it.
Go on -give your brain a 'work-out!'

3.0 out of 5 stars Why you can't do wireless in print, 5 Sep 2010
Mr. Adrian R. Fry "adrianfry" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (Paperback)

Other reviewers have commented on the absence of conclusions to each subject. On the wireless, Lord Bragg and his pals seldom have time to fully round out or sum up. This discursive quality makes for excellent wirless listening - the discussions are oftener than not live - but they create imbalance when read on the page.

Nevertheless, there is some excellent material in here

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening discussions from Radio 4's eclectic 'In Our Time', 29 Jan 2010
Moontrane - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In Our Time (Hardcover)
'In Our Time' is probably the most intellectually stimulating programme on Radio 4 and several hundred have been broadcast since 1998. Melvyn Bragg brings together leading academics in their particular field to discuss an eclectic range of subjects. This enlightening book selects 26 programmes(listed a-z) which give a fair reflection of the diversity of 'In Our Time' with topics ranging from Antimatter & The Peasant's Revolt to The Origins of Life & Shakespeare's Language. My only complaint is the the omission of the discussion on Karl Marx which seems rather surprising as he was voted the 'Greatest Philosopher' by 'In Our Time' listeners in 2005.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (Paperback)
When listening to the series on the radio I have found Melvyn Braggs's interjections sometimes irritating and unitelligible. As a result of my comments, I was bought this book as a present and, although I have found many of the contributions in the book fascinating and enlightening, there are many that remain as obscure as when I first listened to them. My conclusion is that, while many of the debates are entertaining, there is no substitute (if one is interested) to a properly considered and presented book on the subject. This book is difficult to read as it is virually verbatum what the contributers say and, as we all know, written and spoken language is quite different. The book is quite entertianing but, to get the best of it, one should just pick the subjects of interest and ignore the rest. For an avid book reader, this can be difficult!

4.0 out of 5 stars In Our Time archive, 23 April 2010
W. Chrispin "Bill C" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Time (Hardcover)
Not really a review of the book, but rather a note that the BBC has now released all the In Our Time archive on its website. A fantastic resource for all to dip into.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read!, 20 Dec 2013
newtricks (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (Paperback)
great to accompany the series- good read- may not be everyones cup of tea- but I am very pleased with it-would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant value, 14 July 2013
June Freyne - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (Paperback)
No complaints .Everything w a s just absolutely , astoundingly, amazingly, fantastic as I could possibly have dreamt for all my life

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 8 Jan 2013
F. Rooney (surrey) - See all my reviews
Very informative, interesting and a wide range of subjects.
All panel members are expert in their fields.
Melvyn Bragg keeps the experts on their toes with his searching questions
drawing them out and giving each one ample opportunity to develop a cogent contribution.

I would recommend this book to any seeker after knowledge and at any age. It is easy to follow,
has a varied range of interesting subjects and presents information in an easy to digest manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well liked, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (Paperback)
This is exactly what was wanted as a present for someone who heard and liked the radio series. So allows more careful reading of those programmes that were heard and, of course, catching up with ths missed

5.0 out of 5 stars In Our Time by Melvyn Bragg, 10 Feb 2012
I bought In Our Time by Melvyn Bragg In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series (audio disc) for my father who is a registered blind person. He enjoys the radio 4 programme of the same name and has very much enjoyed the discs. It was easy to order and delivery was the next day. Thank you.

In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series
In Our Time: A Companion to the Radio 4 Series by Melvyn Bragg (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)