Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2008
Love Martin Clunes, love dogs, loved his recent documentary about dogs - so all good. This book does tally with the tv programme about history of dogs but the bits I actually enjoyed best are his own personal history with dogs and his present day trials, tribulations and joys with them. Just one thing - I'd love to know how Mary is these days.
on 3 September 2009
As a dog lover (and a one-time owner of an orange roan cocker spaniel) AND an admirer of Martin Clunes,
I was drawn to this book! It did not let me down!

Interesting, honest, humourous and factual - once having started to read it, I found it difficult to put down! Clunes not only writes about his family and their relationships with dogs over the years, he also writes about the evolution of the domestic dog from wolves - backing up his research by recounting a personal encounter with wolves to compare aspects of their behaviourwith that of "man's best friend".

A fascinating read written by a man who has the ability to "get into the mind of dogs"
on 13 January 2009
What a lovely book. I never realised Martin Clunes was such a softie about dogs. Comforting to know he has gone through the agonies any dog lover goes through when their favourite pet gets poorly. Loved the chapters on the Wolf pack and the Dingoes accompanied by stunning photos. Was almost sorry when the book came to an end.
on 19 February 2009
Dog lovers everywhere will enjoy this book, Martin Clunes takes you on his personal dedicated journey,of his beloved dogs and their story.A real quality read and beautiful photographs.
The background to this book and the TV series of the same name came from a simple premise - Martin Clunes truly loves dogs. Thankfully his love stops short of the mawkishness that is a hallmark of some recent "doggy" books - he also writes of the impact that dog ownership has had on his life (quite an impact, as it turns out) and intersperses that with the stories of the programmes he made for his TV series.

The book is sound on dog facts and highly informative, blending into a combination of autobiography and factual information that makes entertaining reading. Martin's dry wit and self deprecating sense of humour add to the entertainment factor considerably. My heart went out to him at times as he dealt with the complicated relationship between two of his own family pets and the upheaval that this caused, when heart-wrenching decisions had to be made.

Those who love Martin for his Doc Martin TV series will find a completely different person here, as much a lover of canines as Doc is a hater. Martin must have had a wonderful time finding out about the role of members of the dog family all over the world and this enthusiasm spills over into his writing. Stills from the TV programme intersperse with family shots for a final deft touch. A five star book for dog - lovers (and I'm one, so five-stars it is). If you don't like dogs, I'm mildly amazed you've read this far - but you probably won't enjoy this book quite as much!
on 19 December 2009
I had actually read this book already, this copy was a present for a friend-I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes dogs!
on 31 May 2011
If you love your dogs and you love Martin Clunes then the two go very well together in this book. Martin has an excellent way of writing and even made me who likes Martin but not keen on dogs look at Mans Best friend in a very different light. Well worth a read and well worth passing the book on as l did.
on 30 April 2011
Being a great Martin Clunes' fan, I was keen read this book and was not disappointed. The book is very informative about the experiences that he had whilst investigating the canine species around the world. Martin's anecdotes about family life with his dogs are very endearing.
on 5 December 2014
I was given this book by my Nan as we are both big dog lovers and we always share and appreciate each other’s books. I didn’t really know much about Martin Clunes before I started reading this, I didn’t watch the Doc Martin TV series or the dog documentary he did, I only remember him from his Men Behaving Badly days when I was growing up. This is not a book that I would have picked up and selected myself as I tend to only read fiction but I always like a recommendation, so I gave it a go.

As promised by the cover, this book is informative, funny, heartbreaking and fascinating. It’s very easy to read and follow and the chapters are short and nicely written. Martin takes us on his dog journey, starting with how he developed his love for dogs, to how he learnt to respect and appreciate every breed. There are some personal tales he tells of his dogs fighting, that are clearly very stressful and upsetting for him and his family and I’m sure a lot of dog owners can relate to that. I was surprised with Martin’s honesty throughout the book. He tells how he loves to smell dogs behind their ears as it’s the best smell in the world and also how judged his dog a winner in a dog show! As expected, the book is funny in places and it did make me chuckle out loud a few times. I was also very interested in all the research that Martin did on dogs and how they have evolved other the centuries and how humans and dogs now work together in various ways. I was born in the UK but now live in Australia, so I was particularly interested in the section in the book based in Australia that spoke about dingos and the aboriginal history with the dogs.

This is a nice book for dog lovers and you will especially enjoy it if you are a Martin Clunes fan. It’s a nice easy read with a good mix of personal stories, humour and facts. I liked this book but didn’t love it. I will leave this on the bookshelf at work for another dog lover to take.
on 5 January 2011
If you saw the Tv programme or not it is a truly amazing book, his love of dogs comes shining through, dog lover or not it will amuse you from start to finish.