4.0 out of 5 stars AAA
Published on 14 Mar 2009 by AAA

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hard to Follow
Very hard to follow the lady leading the course and very dubious that the students were learning for the first time as it was stated.
Published 4 months ago by Paul Hocking

4.0 out of 5 stars AAA, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
If you've used Michel Thomas to learn another language then the format of these CD's will be very familiar (although the teacher is much more positive and confidence-building than Michel). If you are new to this method, you may think some of the phrases seem very clumsy and contrived at first. However, stay with the course and you will learn to think-out phrases and express yourself in a huge number of situations. Polish is hard to learn, but this is a very useful course for logically minded people. I would have liked a booklet with the CD's so I could see how the words are spelled, but a dictionary will suffice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning Polish with Michael Thomas, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
I'm crap at learning new languages as I struggle to repeat the sounds I hear. I'm always trying to put the new/strange word into a context I can understand - I spell the sound in my head with the closest english equivalent I can find. Problem is, after 20 or so new, strange sounding words it's difficult for me to retain the new information. Here, they try a method where you use the word in simple 'think it through' easy practical applications. So your brain doesn't shut off (like some applications that have you endlessly repeating words or phrases parrot fashion)and thus causing you to be bored to distraction and remember little. However, its also not overthinking the issue at hand so I'm relaxed, always feeling in control and retaining information. I'm also retaining the information really quickly, really easily. This application REALLY surprised me. Sure the 2 student scenario at first confused me especially when their accents are foreign (to the language I'm learning) and I have to remind myself to sound as close as I can to the instructor and not the students. Unless you're trying to sound like Borat of course. Each to his own. The beauty is that if I tripped up, or felt i'd confused myself I could simply play the last 10 seconds back and be on track again. For the fast learners, well, the supposedly slower of the 2 students used for this learning application may irritate you and leave you feeling held back. But for me, its perfect. And when I occasionally do feel the 'fastest' of the 3 students in the lesson, I use this as a means of understanding how good my personal progress is.
This is a 9 out 10 for me. I can't believe how much I retain from the cd's. And for me, with my bad ear for languages? Thats impressive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Michel Thomas Polish Foundation Course, 17 July 2009
P. T. Bergman (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
CHEL THOMAS POLISH FOUNDATION COURSE.

As a serial linguist and avid follower of The Michel Thomas Language Courses I would like to give you some insight into the Michel Thomas POLISH Foundation course which I have just recently
completed.

This course I can now add to the growing list of MT courses I have completed. These are French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian and Portuguese. As a fluent Dutch speaker, I have not reviewed Dutch in detail but I may do it later on next year. There are two more left that I will have to do Greek and Japanese. Hopefully, a Hindi might appear next year.

POLISH is probably the greatest challenge that a Michel Thomas student will face. The language
has quite complex grammar (due to having seven cases) and the "Full Monty" of sounds available
to the human voice box. I wonder if there is another language with such an array of sounds?

Anyone who thinks that Polish is going to be easy (even using the Michel Thomas Method) might be in for a surprise, The Michel Thomas course tackles the challenge of Polish very well, although sometimes the students and teacher go through it a little bit fast. That is not a problem as you can use the pause button and rewind to hear what is being said over again until you feel comfortable.

I found several pitfalls in learning Polish, but that was not the fault of the course, rather the complexity of the language itself. You really have to acclimatize yourself to the sounds of Polish.
Being able to hear it as many times as you like will help a lot. TO JEST BARDZO DOBZE.
(it is very good) This course follows the honoured M.T. Tradition and Strengths of , Fast Progress, Continuous Reward and hence MOTIVATION.

If there is a down side to all of this, it was not the method of learning. (what else is there on the Market that comes vaguely close to this course) rather the language itself. You need to have a dogged and determined motivation to learn POLISH. Mine was to find our family origins and family from World War II in Poland. I have a determined 96 year old Polish father-in-law who keeps going and NEVER GIVES UP. He an is an inspiration to our family and to my determination to speak Polish....CZY PAN MOWIE PO POLSKU? (do you speak Polish)

Pieter Bergman 17th July 2009.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 22 Nov 2009
J. Frawley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
I've been married to a Pole for 30 years, and have lived in Poland for the past 2. I've tried course after course, but have remained impervious to the language. A friend suggested the Michel Thomas method after using it to learn another language. As a previous reviewer has noted, the idiot mnemonics this teacher uses are, to put it politely, infuriating. But my goodness, does this method work! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Foundation in Polish, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
Polish is a difficult language. Initially I started with a conventional textbook and CDs and was totally confused for the first few days. I borrowed the introductory course from the library and began to make progress so I bought the foundation course on the strength of this. The course gives a solid foundation in Polish. I am appreciating it as the grammer gets really more difficult in the advanced course. The teacher is excellent altough her mnenomics, which she thinks are funny, are awful and you have to get used to her saying "ok" "right" etc when the students give a wrong answer.
MT courses in general don't cover days, numbers etc and should be used in conjunction with a conventional textbook and CD for maximum benefit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great polish, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
Better of buying this from this company as you get the higher level included with this as well so pretty good deal. The course is better that any those beginner polish CDs. You actually learn how to form sentences instead of just plain words without treating you as a simpleton as the others do. I

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
Too early to give a verdict on how well it works but certainly an accessible introduction to Polish, hard to understand the instructor in one or two places with the pronunciation of certain words (this is where some accompanying text would be nice) but generally happy with it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
I have used the Michel Thomas before with the man himself for other languages and found it to be a good method. Sadly Michel Thomas is no longer with us but Jolanta makes a brave effort to follow his methodology. I am finding it reasonably easy to learn Polish with the class but I have to admit I cannot do it in the real time of the class. I have to listen to the CDs many times in the car to let it sink in properly and I also make notes which is also not supposed to be the method. I am very pleased with this set of CDs which also happen to include the Advanced course which is a real bargain for the price. i am still on CD4 at the moment but I have already learnt a great deal of Polish .and can start to talk a little even.

4.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Foundation course, 7 July 2011
M. H. Levy (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course (Audio CD)
I find the method used very powerful and confidence building though less good at developing listening skills in the language. Also I was very disappointed to find that the first two CDs of the Foundation course are exactly the same as the Introductory course........As they want you to progress from one to the other, that seems like a total waste of money to me..There should be a warning on the box that if you have the Introductory course then the first two CDs will be replicated.
That all said, I think it is a very good method and the language IS beginning to stick.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hard to Follow, 16 July 2014

Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course
Michel Thomas Method: Polish Foundation Course by Jolanta Cecula (Audio CD - 26 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: £29.95