5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Mould is BRILLIANT Daddy !!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse (Paperback)
My son has long been a fan of Chris Mould's,and eagerly awaited the arrival of Pip and the Woodwitch Curse. Having seen how my son enjoyed all the Wickedly Weird books,I decided to read this new one with him. Pip's escape from the drunken Mr Oakes' orphanage grips from the start, and we are soon swept along with Pip into the fantastical world that lies within the walled city of Hangman's Hollow. The terrifying child-hating Mr Jarvis, the warm hearted Sam and his son Toad, Captain Dooley, a wooden toy soldier who has the power to come to life and a whole host of dark and scary beasts which live outside the shelter of the city walls,all make this a classy and classic modern fairy tale. The whole thing romps along brilliantly, punctuated by Mould's atmospheric, gothic illustrations.We eagerly await the next installment of Pip's adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rampaging romp of a read!, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse (Paperback)
'Pip and the Wood Witch Curse' follows our young hero, Pip, as he journey's out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire. From twisted forest beasties to marvellously mean child catchers, Mould manages to pair his brilliant, dark, gothic story with a similarly brilliant, dark, gothic illustrations. Kids from 6-7 onwards will love the warmth and pluck of Pip and Toad and will be routing for them until the end... which both fortunately, and unfortunately, we'll have to await in further books!

Unlike many other chapter books, the illustrations seem to help the plot along, rather than to break it up. This fact, combined with Mould's wonderfully wicked characters, lead me to believe it would also provide a great read for older and reluctant readers too.

Will be eagerly looking out for the next helping of the Spindlewood tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!!!, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse (Paperback)
I wasn't sure how Chris Mould would follow the simply brilliant "Something Wickedly Weird" series, but he's managed it in superb style! From turning the first page, I was unable to put "Pip and the Wood Witch Curse" down until it was done!

My only problem now is what to do until the next book is released.

Brilliant Mr Mould, keep 'em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse (Paperback)
Brill book! Carfully illustrated and an intriguing story line. Even compared to the previous Something Wickedly Weird series it's amazing and I can't put it down! I can't wait to see what the next books will bring, more eerie pictures and more adventures I hope.
Off the read some more now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great read for all ages, 3 Jun. 2011
Mrs. Jennifer V. Grant (SCOTLAND. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse (Paperback)
My son who is a lazy reader and I read this book together while on holiday
It got to the stage that we could not put it down.
My son is a big fan of Chris Mould books and they are helping him to enjoy reading
Looking forward to the next adventure

Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse
Spindlewood: 1: Pip and the Wood Witch Curse by Chris Mould (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2011)