5.0 out of 5 stars It makes you think!, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Access to History: Elizabeth I Meeting the Challenge:England 1541-1603 (Paperback)
I bought this book because my son is covering Elizabeth and the reformation as part of his A level History. I studied this subject in O Level about 35 years ago so my memory was sketchy. I searched through Amazon and considered many books on this subject. The review from C A Turner struck a chord so I decided to purchase it; thank you for your review!

The book is designed to make you think about the subject and to help you there are prompts in the centre area. These prompts mention key dates, key Acts and they question you about the "why" of a situation. There are highlighted words that are important for your study.

What did please me was the inclusion of information on Mary's reign and how she brought back Catholicism after her father Henry VIII had reformed the church to his liking. Sorry if that is poorly explained, basically it primes you for the difficulties Elizabeth will face when she then tries to reform things again this time in favour of Protestantism. The background on Mary and the kind of situation Elizabeth inherited gave me a better start to understanding the situation.

If you are studying this subject for a qualification like A level this is invaluable. If you have a desire for knowledge about this amazing period in English history but are not sitting exams then once again this book is still recommended.

It has taught me that Elizabeth was very shrewd at getting what she wanted without alienating important sections of society despite imposing her will!

An excellent book worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 23 Oct. 2013
A very good textbook, particularly for A Level students/undergraduates, who are new to the period.
It's layout, documentation, challenging questions, detailed explanations and bibliography (for follow up work) make it indispensable for those wanting to know more about Elizabeth 1. These books are updated regularly which is even better. A godsend for my former sixth form students who like books to be manageable, clearly written and simple to follow in helpful bite-size chunks. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A2 History, 23 Jan. 2013
C. A. Turner - See all my reviews
This book has been a great help to my daughter who is studying History at A2 level. She has used it and is learning so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars good overview of Elizabeth's riegn I would definitely recommend it ..., 17 Jan. 2015
Very detailed, good overview of Elizabeth's riegn I would definitely recommend it to A level or university students

Access to History: Elizabeth I Meeting the Challenge:England 1541-1603