5.0 out of 5 stars TOP NOTCH
Not only is the story of Brother Andrew impossible to put down and very well written, but it is a real inspiration and challenge to those seeking to live for God, or those who doubt the existence of God. Andrew grew up in Holland during world war 2 and afterward joined the army. This sparked a series of events which led him to question the value of life and become a...
Published on 30 Sept. 2005 by Ben Britton

3.0 out of 5 stars Christian Book club review
Published on 28 Nov. 2009 by Mrs. N. G. Tweddle

3.0 out of 5 stars Christian Book club review, 28 Nov. 2009
This book was chosen as book of the month for a Christian Book Club. Brother Andrew is well known in Christian circles, for chosen vocation of taking Bibles behind the Iron Curtain to Christians to people who do not have the opportunity to buy one of their own or who cannot afford to buy one. As such it is a fairly standard first person biography, beginning with the early life of Brother Andrew and what brought him to this point plus a very brief overview of the early years of the mission.

The early part of the book is the most interesting - particularly the effect of military service and disability on his character, and how this shaped the future choices he made in his life. Unfortunately, probably because of the fact that many of the people described in the book are still alive, the journeys and the people he met with are very scantily described. I am sure that Brother Andrew and his colleagues must have had many exciting and amusing events occur at the border crossings and were at times in far greater danger than was described. The stories of the visits to various cities / churches in Communist countries are so short that there is little sense of the risks that both Brother Andrew and the Christians he visited must have been in, or the sense of joy that it must have given to the many people who received the gifts of bibles.

This is a very easy to read introduction to the work of Brother Andrew, but I think a more insightful book is waiting to be written, probably a couple of decades in the future, where is it possible to write more truthfully about the journeys and people that they encountered on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of prayer, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Kindle Edition)
What great encouragement this book gives a follower of the Lord Jesus.
As I write this review a portion of scripture has come to mind so strong, BEHOLD I STAND AT THE DOOR AND KNOCK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Kindle Edition)
This was a book that I found once started difficult to put down. It is also very well written. So pleased that someone recommended it to me.
The book certainly encouraged me to know that whatever the circumstances if we put our faith in God, He will always provide what is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is read, 25 Mar. 2013
T. Madi (London, UK) - See all my reviews
2nd time I've read this book in less than a year
And I'm still discovering how incredible living out God's will is
Our adventure might not be as alike but He still carts us off to places we ever imagined, to people we never dreamed of
Most memorable take home messages
1. The Holy Spirit delights more than ever that we let Him lead
2. The Body is still the Body

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime reading with your pre-teen: wonderful!, 13 Jan. 2012
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Paperback)
My daughter (who's 11) and I are thoroughly enjoying this book as our one-on-one bedtime reading. We are so inspired by the story of Brother Andrew's early life, how he came to love and trust Christ, and how he moved amongst all the persecuted believers behind the Iron Curtain in the 50s.

We've had follow-up discussions about Communism, about evangelism, about refugees and hardships and propaganda, and all kinds of spin-off topics. But above all, we have seen through Brother Andrew that God is good, is reliable, is a provider, and speaks to people in the modern era in all kinds of different ways.

Trusting Him not only works for Brother Andrew, but worked for hundreds of thousands who were touched by his ministry.

(I understand the subsequent books of Brother Andrew's are more graphic and perhaps a bit too hard-bitten for reading with children; I have no reservations of reading this one to my children)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Paperback)
arrived promptly this is a book I have read before but lent it to someone,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Paperback)
This book it a fantastic witness to how God can change the hearts of anyone! A very moving true story of Brother Andrew who the Lord looked after and in return, Brother Andrew was able to do the most amazing things in the name of the Lord. I strongly recommend this book to anyone going through a spiritual battle or just want a good book to read....it will lift your spirits by the end of it :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars good book., 17 Dec. 2013
Ms. js allen (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this read. I suppose I should be overwhelmed at the blessings God gave Brother Andrew but instead, I was truly moved at the other people in the book. It's a true story, and the people he came into contact with were so diligent and faithful when God commanded them to do something (give a car, give money, time etc) for a greater purpose (i.e. Andrew).

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing testimony, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Kindle Edition)
This book reignites your wonder and faith in the sovereign plans of God and the work of prayer. As an editor for another publishing company im delighted to see Brother Andrew's book iupdated in e-book format. This testimony needs to be told to this generation and others. Catherine Mackenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Ispirational, 14 Nov. 2013
Mrs. Jem Archer "ferrywoman" (norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God's Smuggler (Kindle Edition)
I have just re -read this wonderful book, written by a true Christian. It was just as enjoyable the first time round - about 30 years ago. Both times I found the piece about the "toothpaste " challenging and inspirational.

God's Smuggler
God's Smuggler by John Sherrill (Paperback - 15 May 2008)